“Overcrowded”

60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Overcrowded”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We spent our 2nd Aurora-Viewing night there.

Aurora Village was very organized, the facilities are great. Unfortunately, it was overcrowded. We couldn't imagine they assigned more than 30 people in a teepee. There were not enough seat and we could hear someone complaining abt it. Although there were seats near the teepee entrance, no one could seat there because of the teepee shape -- cone.

They provided self-serve warm drinks, soup, and bannock. There wasn't enough to cater so many people.

Full of crowds so hard to take pictures too ... to be honest, I would rather go for "Hunting Aurora" to increase the viewing chance!

5 Thank mwfwinnie

44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Gorgeous”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I had a really wonderful time at the Aurora Village. I do agree with others though, they don't cater very much to the non-Asian visitors. The facilities are great, very clean, and when the lights are out it's stunning. I was lucky with some great aurora action, but I can imagine if the weather was bad I would have been quite bored and a little bit lonely.

The restaurant and cafe are great, and the facilities are still beautiful!

2 Thank NorthK1954
West Vancouver, Canada
101 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 208 helpful votes
“Always Enjoyable”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We booked 2 Aurora Viewing Tours (one of them preceded by Dinner) and one day-time activity (Dog Team Riding) with Aurora Village. They took 2 days to get back to my first enquiry, but after then, their response was always prompt (within 24 hours) and polite.

Aurora Village was very organized. We spent our first & third Aurora-Viewing nights there. We stayed at Explorer Hotel, we were always the last to be picked up, but the first to be dropped off, which worked out really well for us. Majority were Japanese tourists. Non-Japanese tourists were usually grouped together and taken care of by English-Speaking Chinese or Korean guide. First–timers were given a quick tour of the Village on arrival. We’re really lucky to see Aurora the moment we arrived the Village.

The Village location was extremely good, & we were able to see really nice Aurora both nights we were there in all direction above us. The lighted Teepees also served as good background for photo-taking.

Although we were there for 2 nights, we were only given tickets to the heated seats for one night only. Nevertheless, since we wanted to take photos, we did not bother to stay in the heated seats, and we ended up giving our tickets away to other people there.

It was nice to be able to go back to the Teepees to have warm drinks, or soup & bannock around mid-night as it was really too cold to stay outside for too long. Highly recommended to wear at least 2 pants & 2 pairs of socks, and to bring along hand- & toe-warmers. The (5-hour) toe-warmers became cold quite quickly, and it’d be better to put some (8-hour) hand-warmers inside the shoes as well.

The Rental Clothing Package is highly recommended. The only inconvenience was we had to get our clothes at Yellowknife Inn the first day of our arrival between 4-6 pm. It was a nuisance as we could not arrange any afternoon activities, and we had to carry the heavy clothing & walked back to our Hotel, though the walk was not that long (5 mins). I did find out later there was a 2-night Hotel (Yellowknife Inn) + 2-night Aurora Viewing (Aurora Village) Package available, but Aurora Village replied it was fully booked. On the last night after Aurora Viewing, the return of the clothing was much more convenient as we only needed to drop them off at our Hotel Lobby. I wonder why the same could not be arranged for pick-up.

Aurora Village provided professional photo-taking service when there was Aurora. At first, we’re very hesitant to use this service as the guide said we had to buy the photo (C$25 for the 1st one, C$15 for subsequent ones, C$5 extra to put the photo(s) on CD) regardless of how it turned out, eg, if you moved or blinked your eyes. On the 1st night, we did not go to take any photos, but a group of 4 ladies went and they said the quality was very good. On the 3rd light, an incident happened (which I’ll talk about), we’re so happy we eventually decided to take a photo as the photo turned out to be really nice.

Now talking about the incident ~ I lost my Fur Scarf the 1st night we’re there. I asked our Chinese guide for help to check at the Lost & Found for me, but she said they could not find it. On the 3rd night we’re there, we decided to go to Lost & Found at the Gift Shop ourselves. After I explained how my scarf looked like, the Japanese lady was able to locate it from the Lost & Found area & gave it back to me. Needless to say, we’re really happy. However, we later saw the same Chinese guide, she recognized us and told us she could not find it. We could not understand why but to doubt her professionlism & honesty.

We had dinner at the Aurora Village on our 3rd evening there. They offered set dinner at C$65 per person inclusive of tax. Both food & service were really good. We were then able to go and watch Aurora earlier than everyone else from the Aurora Viewing Tour.

Personally, I did not enjoy the Dog Sled Ride as I had to sit at the front, which was extremely uncomfortable & I found the ride too bumpy for my liking. We’re the only 2 non-Japanese, but it was nice of them to arrange an English-speaking Korean guide to take care of us, & arranged that we go for the ride first.

11 Thank Lraep
Chicago, Illinois
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“A little in the dark...”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

The Aurora Village was where I spent my first night in Yellowknife and while the facilities were interesting and seemingly organized, there was very little personal touch for non-Asian visitors. The evening was crowded and cold and there were lots of questions we had but relatively few people to ask. The aurora didn't begin until 2:20am when we were walking back to the bus after our first extension. We got to see 15 minutes of beauty but in the end, it was a tiring, disappointing night. PS Don't try to pee in the restaurant unless you're eating there...

2 Thank FruityJ
Sunnyvale, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Nice arrangements to view the Aurora lights”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

They have nice arrangements to view the aurora. They bring you to the village, which is on the bank of a lake (frozen in winters) and have teepees in which you can keep yourself warm, till the aurora appears. There are arrangements for tea and coffee. The area on the lake provides a nice and dark sky to view even level 2 auroras. I didn't find the location of the heated seats useful, because sometimes the lights from the teepees can interfere with the aurora viewing experience. It is beneficial to rent the winter clothing from the Aurora village guys, because at -20 C, with the wind chill, that is the clothing needed to keep you alive!!

The day time activities are fun. We loved the dog sled ride as the trail was nicely designed with ups and downs and bumps along the way to give a nice sense of thrill. The experience of sliding down a steep slide of snow and ice is also extremely thrilling. Feast yourself on marshmallows after roasting them over fire. The only problem is that they pick up from 5 hotels in the downtown and if you are staying elsewhere, you need to make your own arrangements to reach one of those hotels.

3 Thank VinayBavdekar