“A Wonderful Retreat”
Review of Yellow Dog Lodge

Yellow Dog Lodge
“A Wonderful Retreat”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I have been to Yellow Dog Lodge many times now, and this past summer I had the chance to head out there for a office retreat.

It was a wonderful time had by all. A lot of fishing was done, a lot of eating was done, a lot of bonding was done.

The lodge is perfectly laid out for a great adventure or just relaxing with a good book and close friends.

Gord and his staff are amazing folks and jumped to help us and make sure that our time at the lodge was flawless and memorable.

Thanks gang! I'll be back soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I have been to Yellowdog Lodge about 10 times over the last 12 years and every year it never fails to deliver the ultimate fishing experience! I have caught arctic grayling, trout and pike and you can choose whether you fish for volume or quantity just by fishing in a few different spots on either Duncan or Graham Lake. The Lodge and area is amazing, you can fish right from the shore, head out on hikes up to the cliffs, relax on the deck, hit the hot tub or sauna or just hanging out in the lodge itself. The staff are very accommodating, there is no shortage of food! The close proximity to Yellowknife makes it a very easy Lodge to travel to, only a short 20 minute flight into the lodge! I have been to a few other lodges and I can easily say that Yellowdog Lodge is my favorite and I will continue to return to this lodge as often as I can!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a more rustic experience the cabins are beautiful. The rooms in the main lod...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
La Crete, Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2013

The lodge was clean and food was awesome. Would recomend this place to anyone. The Scenery was beautiful. Fishing was good. The shore lunches were just perfect.

Thanks Yellow Dog Lodge for the great time,

Brian Schmidt

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Brian S
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Wonderful lodge with the nicest people-we have been there now at least 4 times.Highly recommend if you want peace and quiet with all the mod-cons.Great fishing and some of the most spectacular scenery in the world-great hot -tub under the stars and aurora borealis

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I visited the lodge a few years back. It was clean, comfortable, with first rate boats and gear. The sauna was just fine too. I didn't try the hot tub. They did a nice job taking cafe of me. The food was good and hearty in that meat and potatoes kind of way, and far more than I could ever ever eat. The young fellow who took me around was a delight. I went primarily to fly fish for pike. I got 13 or so all around 30 to 39 inches (plus a bunch of smaller guys) the first night and saw one more that made the 39 incher' look small. The pike fishing tailed off after that but never actually stopped. The scenery was the most memorable part for me. Just beautiful. The only suggestion I would give is don't let the lodge owner smoke you any fish it was just awful.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Brian B
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This was our first time in the NWT, and thanks to Gord and his crew we fell in love with the area and with the folks at the lodge. Fishing was great, scenery was incredibly beautiful, the lodge was clean, neat, and well equipped with everything:
from hot tub to steam baths,
from private rooms to friendly living room,
from Internet to "dog house" tent-cabin,
from immediate supply store with fishing supplies to clean, comfortable, and well-kept boats, from outdoor patio to laundry room
from fresh smoked fish to great shore lunches
- everything one might dream of on such a vacation. Garrett's (THE guide) nose for fish was like a bloodhound's - incredible. We enjoyed the fact that we were not crowded with unwanted and ill-fitting luxuries such as a fitness center in the middle of the wilderness. This trip delivered more than was promised! We definitely hope to go back.

Room Tip: Rooms are all great, as was the float tent.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank V D
Hay River, Canada
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I visited the lodge this summer on a work retreat with 5 other colleagues. No cell reception meant we could all getaway from work. ( internet was available) Gord offered a friendly welcome and made sure all guests felt at home. Heddy had homecooked meals for us 3 times a day and our Prime Rib feast on friday out on the deck was memorable. None of us were fisherman but Gord still helped us out, got us geared up as we went out cruising in the boats. We ended up all catching a nice sized fish. I would highly recomend this property for fishing or simply relaxing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends