“Friendly and personalised service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yellowknife
Embleton House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 24 Yellowknife B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The B&B is run by a caring, friendly and helpful couple who dispense good advice on what to do and see in Yellowknife. You get very personalised service. Particularly good if you are not on the hurry and enjoy chats about life in this remote, unusual corner of the world. At the end of one's stay, one felt like having made good friends.

The place is a short walk from heart of downtown. Very convenient location. Definitely a better choice than regular hotels.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank twcsingapore
There are newer reviews for Embleton House Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed in Embleton House during Chistmas 2012.

I believe Ken and Faith are the most hospitable hosts that I have met till date. The stay was very cosy. The rooms are good and neat. The bathrooms and the common areas are clean. You have decent freedom in the B&B.

I had forgotten my Battery pack cable in the B&B, and Faith had graciously mailed that to me.

Everyone knows the B&B in Yellowknife and the tour guides speak greatly of the host. I highly recommend this place if you plan to visit Yellowknife.

I feel the rate might be a little high, but I guess the rates are pretty standard in Yellowknife.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank gokul_bangalore
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Embleton House is wonderful. My husband, two adult daughters and I stayed for 4 nights in 2 of the suites (the shared apartment was not available) during the Longjohn Jamboree festival. Faith and Ken are wonderful hosts, who made our family feel at home and made our Yellowknife visit a very fun experience. After Ken kindly drove us to the ice road and on a short orientation tour of the town, we were comfortable driving around in our rental car to see the aurora. They lent us extra clothing, gave us useful money-saving tips and other information, including how to have fun clowning around on the ice road! Thanks, Ken and Faith, for making our trip so much fun.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TungVancouver
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed for three nights with my 3 teenage/20's children in the shared apartment downstairs. It was perfect from beginning to end. When arranging the stay, Faith was prompt and helpful in her e mail responses. On arrival we were greeted with warmth and hospitality that could not be matched. To Peter C I would say read the information provided by Faith and Ken.....they make it very clear that you prepare your own breakfast with the ingredients provided. We found the quality of these excellent and perfect for our needs. We would have missed breakfast in a normal B&B as we slept late after Aurora viewing till 2 or 3am. Faith and Ken were also wonderful in giving us advice about how and where to view the Aurora. Encouraged by Faith i had hired a car and we went out every night on our own with 'Aurora snacks' and hot drinks. Extra layers of
clothes lent to us by Faith and Ken kept us warm. On return, our rooms were cosy and beds comfortable for a great nights sleep. Embleton House is charming! Who wants to stay in a sterile souless hotel with no heart? Not the Coleman family. Thanks Faith and Ken. We had the time of our lives and you helped us make memories that will last a lifetime.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kim c
Reviewed March 14, 2013

elderly couple are very funny. the room in basement is not bad. there have public living room, kitchen , restroom and computer for use. we can cooking by my self , the house owner put egg, fruit, bread in fridge for use. you also can borrow coat and snowshoe , it's for free.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Hello:
I stayed at the Embleton House for five days in January 2013 on business.
I had an absolutely delightful stay and I was sorry to leave. The Embletons made me feel quite at home during my time there. Ken and Faith are incredible hosts! Faith even made a small repair to my parka for free.
I stayed in the basement units during my time there. They are absolutely lovely rooms, particularly the Angel Room, decorated by Faith, as are the other rooms. The entire house is kept scrupulously clean and tidy. The kitchen is well-stocked, and the bathroom is also beautifully kept.
When I left I told Faith and Ken that I planned to be back, and I intend to be. I've also made plans for my wife to stay there as she passes through later this year.
Combined with a central downtown location and close proximity to the walking trails at Tin Can Hill, plus amazing views of Great Slave Lake, if you can find something to complain about you're likely just never going to be happy.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank tsg1965
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Most of the pictures are supplied by the management and gloss over the basics. There were so many rules and regulations posted around the house, it felt like being back in school. It is convenient for the centre of town and it was very clean - but I have NEVER stayed in a 'bed and breakfast' where you had to get your own breakfast - and from a pretty mediocre selection of food. We had to ask for replenishments more than once. You have to pass thru the kitchen to get to the bathroom! The house smelled of cigarette smoke; OK if you smoke I guess! VERY expensive for what it offered, but Canada is expensive. Nothing at all like a friendly B&B in Britain and Europe.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank peter c
Arctic-Rose, Owner at Embleton House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

In regards to our Shared guest B&B apartment “A” at Embleton House: The majority of our guest fined our self-service breakfast at a time they choose works for them. Many of our guest depart between 4 and 5 Am or arrival on very late night flights. In winter a majority of guests are out most of the night aurora watching until 3 AM and sometimes later. A self-serve breakfast allows you to eat what you want, way you want, whenever you want. Other folk’s half special diets and they supply what they want and cook it. Others do not want to eat with strangers. Our experience tells us this breakfast works, as opposed to getting up after a late night at a set time or missing breakfast all together. In short a majority of our guests find this most convenient.
I am sorry you had to ask for supplies. We replenish groceries every day but there is always an individual who feels they have the right to eat three times what most folks do just because it is included in the price. This is why we tell everyone if you need something just like at home please ask.
We offer the following food choices for breakfast: of 3 kinds of cold cereal, assorted hot cereals, eggs, bacon, white/ brown bread fresh fruit, juice, milk and coffee hot chocolate, Jam, peanut butter.
We invite guests to purchase other foods and cook lunch an supper if they wish. Sometimes our guess utilise this offer to the max. It saves them money. Due to this just like home those who use the kitchen clean after cooking. So other guests can find the kitchen clean.
The sign posted on line are meant as a guideline to avoid uncomfortable situations in the kitchen and bathroom. The signs are not meant to offend but are there to set expectations. This B&B is not in my personal home but is fully guest occupied so I am not there all day every-day. Regardless what the situations there are those who need those reminders to help ensure other guests like you have a more comfortable stay. We consider our signs no different than the buckle up signs you see on the highway. They are not necessarily for everyone. Over 14 years of business and approximately 1500 guests a year you are only the second person offended by the fact that there are expectation posted which I agree are common sense.
Smelled smoking in the house!! -Not- true! l. Everyone smokes outside. Occasionally there is a smoker and yes we can smell smoke on them when they come in from outdoors. We have no control over that. When guest voice their concern to us about anything we bend over backwards to dealt with the concern. There is a $300 fine for anyone found smoking in our B&B. This is used to cover cleaning costs.
As for our rates in the shared accommodation: A single occupancy rate of $86 per night+ GST is cheap. I checked my records for an email from Peter C so I could email him directly. I found no one by that name on our register for Oct 2013. Sorry Peter for replying here but since you did not come and tell us these things in person there was no chance of me replying to you in person. I regret that!