All reviews a great place to stay fitness room i highly recommend this hotel downtown core old town aurora viewing wifi
Selected filters
Reviewed January 5, 2018 via mobile

I travelled solo and this was the hotel I had to stay at as part of my aurora viewing package. I would give a zero to this establishment, but the room was clean, reasonably spacious and the bed comfortable. That is where the good things end.

First of all the staff. I understand Canada is a multicultural society but this hotel has staff that barely speak English on front desk. They are not friendly, not helpful in anyway and any question I asked they either didn’t know, or answered no. Staff should be trained better in customer service and knowledge of the area.

Second my bathroom was leaking and there were issues with my shower. I reported it, but no one attended. Housekeeping, I understand they are doing their job but knocking on door at 8am is too early, especially if you’ve done an Aurora tour until 3 in the morning. 8am is unreasonable. The walls are paper thin and I could hear everything next to me and above me.

The location is not great. To be honest, this is the first and only time I’ll ever come to Yellowknife as this place is a bit of a hole, but you have to walk about 1km before you either get to a basic coffee shop and a Japanese restaurant.

Please stop false advertising your “market” you barely have anything available!

If you just want somewhere to sleep this place is ok, but I wouldn’t recommend if you want good and friendly service.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Travellingisliving83
Reviewed November 14, 2017

I stayed in a 2 bedroom suite for a week on a work visit. The place was very clean and the full kitchen was perfect for cooking. Very well decorated with local art. Good location, walking distance to hiking trails, bars, and downtown core.

Only complaint was the wifi was pretty unreliable, but there is computers in the lobby if you need a solid connection.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Newton G, General Manager at Capital Suites Yellowknife, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2017

Thank you for your feedback, we are aware of some inconsistences with the internet speed we have been able to provide to our Guest and continue to work with our partners to make this better.

Reviewed August 2, 2017

Capital Suites is centrally located and within easy walking distance of many Yellowknife tourist attractions -- the Prince of Wales Heritage Centre, Diamond Centre, Legislature, etc. A walk to the Old Town is long, but possible. Yellowknife has good bus service, so one can return to the hotel by bus if necessary.

The room was very comfortable, clean, and quiet. The bed was comfortable, and the curtains did a good job of keeping out the northern summer light at night. The staff was friendly and accommodating.

The hotel doesn't have a restraint, but foods can be purchased for preparing ones own breakfast in the room. A person can purchase part packages of foods -- even one egg -- if wanted.

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Newton G, General Manager at Capital Suites Yellowknife, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion. It is truly appreciated.

Reviewed April 24, 2017

This hotel was booked part of our package through Carlos at Yellowknife Outdoor Adventures. It's in a great spot and walking distance to a lot of restaurants.

Our room wasn't very big but the comfort of the bed made up for it, one of the best beds we have slept on. While it was -33 degrees, don't laugh when you see that the window opens. With two people in the room it can get a bit stuffy and the cool air actually helps.

There is a laundry machine and dryer if you're on a big trip like we were. There was also WiFi but it was a bit flaky and the password changes every couple of days. The free airport shuttle is also a great benefit.

The only issue we had here was on the first night after arriving back from our Northern Lights tour at 2:30, the fire alarm went off twice at 3:30a and 5am. It turned out it was set off deliberately by some young adults on an upper level. We understand they were thrown out the next day. While this was handled appropriately but staff and the fire brigade, the only recommended change I would make would be to the fire evacuation signs on the back of the door in our room. It says if the alarm is going off to call reception, so we tried but it wasn't working so we just evacuated. I would update the sign to just say "evacuate".

Overall, we would be happy to stay here again.

Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Newton G, General Manager at Capital Suites Yellowknife, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2017

Thank you for your feedback and recommendation. The signs will be changed.

Reviewed March 28, 2017

The Capital Suites earned a "Very Good" for me in terms of price value. It is on the lower side of the price range, and doesn't give you a lot of extra services. They do provide clean, warm, secure though.

The people are quite nice but in almost each of our interactions with the front desk, we wondered if they had any sense of customer service. Nice people but fairly clueless about personality and providing answers.

The location is pretty good. Between the downtown and the new area of Yellowknife, it is a little further away from downtown and old town attractions. Yet, we walked everywhere in the -20 degree weather from the Capital Suites to wherever we wanted to go and got some good exercise.

Cabs throughout the town are readily available and not expensive.

Internet is spotty and they aren't too concerned about it.

This is a good price value for a budget minded traveler and I would go back. It is close to the best sushi too as Sushi Cafe two blocks away. Kim's convenience store, also a couple blocks away, has all sorts of food and beverage amenities for the room.

Date of stay: March 2017