“Best service, Best Food = Best Restaurant out there!”
Review of Trek Restaurant - CLOSED

Trek Restaurant
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Casual Dining Restaurant serving generous portions, reasonably priced.
Reviewed May 21, 2014

I will not hesitate to say that Trek Restaurant is the best restaurant I have been to since coming to Yellowknife. It's not just the location and the food - but it's the service as well!

The restaurant is very simple and modern, and certainly very cute. The colours, music, and decor in the restaurant make for a very pleasant and happy atmosphere.

I brought my family to the restaurant for the first time to celebrate my dad's birthday. It was the best decision I ever made! The very kind server seated us to our reserved table immediately. He was a very sweet and polite boy which certainly goes to show the excellent customer service this restaurant has.

When the time came to order food, we were surprised to find that the food was the best we have had in ages. If you're looking for a delicious home cooked meal - away from home - this is the place to be! Everyone at the table agreed that the food was delicious. All of our meals were served hot with the freshest ingredients. Not only that, but the mashed potatoes were to die for - creamy, soft and with chunks on the inside. In addition, they had a variety of drinks to offer that tasted sweet and refreshing. The kids loved the different options they could choose from as well!

The entire time, the servers were always there to check on us. They ensured that our water glasses were filled, our empty plates were taken away, and most importantly, that we were enjoying our meal. It is always nice to be acknowledged, and Trek certainly made us feel welcome and at home.

Here is the BEST part ... We were planning on ordering dessert after our meals, and just as we were about to do so, the restaurant owner and our server surprised us with a HUGE chocolate cake for my dad's birthday. The restaurant went above and beyond by baking a surprise cake for the special occasion. I was unaware of their plans to bake a cake, so I was certainly surprised as well. It was such a sweet, thoughtful, surprise and this certainly was the icing on top of the cake of our experience at Trek. My dad couldn't stop grinning from ear to ear. Not only that, but the cake was delicious - it was a moist, chocolate cake with fruit filling on the inside, topped with chocolate icing and baked apples. It was sweet, light, delicious and baked to perfection!

We left the restaurant with our bellies happy and full. Certainly worth what we paid for.

Trek, thank you for making our experience such a great one, and a special thanks for making my dad's birthday even more special with that surprise cake. We will definitely be coming back - this is the best restaurant in Yellowknife for sure!

Janet D, Owner at Trek Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Thank you so much for your review. Your family were a pleasure to take care of and all of us at Trek are glad we could help make your celebration special. (since I made the cake I am also secretly very happy that you enjoyed it!)

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Trek has the best breakfast for a reasonable price in Yellowknife. We really appreciate the home cooked food. Thank you Trek for a great weekend breakfast option.

Janet D, Owner at Trek Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback - we try hard to offer a yummy scratch cooked breakfast using only the freshest ingredients. We have recently launched a new breakfast menu with even more options you might enjoy - perhaps our Quebecois breakfast with creton gravy, or our Prairie smashed potato pancakes!

I personally think its important to have great breakfast options, so I particularly appreciate your comments and will pass them on to our chefs.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

We were staying at the Days Inn for 12 days and took only a few meals here because there was really nothing special about them or the service. The breakfasts we had were just "ok", not really great nor really outstanding. The waiter (guy with bald head) was great some days and other days he came across as cranky and condescending with service that was really over the top or just mediocre (seems like depending on his mood of the day). Our last night in YK we decided to stay in for dinner and it was really not good at all. Their version of a "ratatouille" really needs to be looked at and revamped, it was gross. Both of our dishes were semi-warm :( We had dessert also, same thing NOT good flavour wise or texture.
The chef/cook is fairly young from what I gather and I'm really not sure what type of training this guy has had but he definitely needs more. We initially got coffee and tea to drink but no one ever came back to offer us more over the dinner or to ask how our food was...I would have told them. We gave our business to the other GREAT restaurants in YK and they have many there...just not this one :(

1  Thank The-Dog-Taxi
Janet D, Owner at Trek Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback online - I apologize that we were not able to wow you during your time with us and that you were not able to give us feedback in person. I stand behind all our staff and their skills but will bring your comments to their attention.

Our smoked salmon eggs benny with a house made white wine hollandaise or our baquette french toast with fresh berries, coulis and creme anglais are a couple of our unique breakfast items that are a standout and our dinner menu features canadian comfort food and is unlike any other menu in town so I am disappointed you did not see that as special. Our culinary team cook EVERYTHING from scratch including all dressings and sauces etc and that is also something unique about our restaurant. Our desserts are ALL made from scratch and have many fans both locally and amongst tourists.

I ask our staff NOT to ask diners superficiously how a meal is but rather to watch their tables and ask when the food is uneaten or being eaten slowly - I know i dont like to be bothered when i am enjoying a good meal. Ordering dessert is also generally indicating a diner enjoyed their meal - I will consider changing this practise.

We do take all reviews seriously and reflect on our practice each time - however, commenting on a chef's credentials over one meal is insulting and attaching it to age is petty and that is not the purpose of trip advisor.

Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Came in for breakfast. The restaurant looks way better since the new owners took over.
Excellent service, great food. We'll be back!

Reviewed February 24, 2014

The food is good and the service is friendly. It has commendably long opening hours. I ate in Trek on eight occasions, four breakfasts, one lunch and three dinners and never had a poor experience. I would recommend it. The prices are reasonable. Well done To all the staff and the managers.