“Great introductory tour of the Knife”

My Backyard Tours - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: See Yellowknife through the eyes of people who came for two years and stayed a lifetime. Enjoy learning about Yellowknife's history, meet local artisans or hike to Cameron Waterfalls. Want to experience more of the Northwest Territories? Our fly-out fishing and photography adventures will immerse you in the authentic splendour of the Northwest Territories and provide you with memories that will last a lifetime. Day tours range from 2 - 5 hours in length. Fly-out package range from 4-8 days. Custom packages are available as well as step-on guide services. Our professionally guided tours offer personalized service and participants interests are incorporated into City, Ingraham Trail and Northern Lights Tours.
Reviewed March 29, 2014

On our first morning of our first visit to Yellowknife, we took a tour with this company. It was very easy to do the booking via email with quick responses prior to arrival in Yellowknife. Our guide, Trevor picked us up at our accommodation and spent 2 hours with us. We learned about the history, the geology, the architecture and the layout of the city. At the halfway mark Trevor pulled over on the side of the ice road and shared a lovely little snack with us: earl grey tea and delicious homemade cookies. It was a wonderful way to start our visit to the city. At the end of the tour we were given a package with lots of pamphlets and brochures that was most helpful during our stay. Kudos to Margaret and Trevor for starting us off on the right foot for a marvellous Yellowknife adventure.

1  Thank su-etravel48

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I booked the northern light tour with My Backyard Tours. Booking with Margaret (owner) was easy. She replied emails promptly and was already providing you with lots of info to help you to plan your trip. On the day of the tour, before heading to the cabin, she drove us around to introduce us the city. The cabin has a perfect location at the Prosperous Lake. We had a great night not only because of the great aurora but also the warm hospitality from Margaret. She would make sure everyone was warm and not hungry by feeding you non-stop with all her delicious home made pies, puddings, ice creams. Thank Margaret, Murray, Didier and Trevor. You really treat your customers as friends. I have no hestitaion to recommend people travelling to Yellowknife to book with Margaret.

3  Thank faith h
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I booked northern light tour in this company and I'm fully satisfied!! How amazingly kind and friendly they are!
They picked me up from hotel, and drove around down town to introduce me about the city. After that we drove to hunt aurora and we couldn't find it during the driving, but when we arrived their cabin we found the aurora. It was not that strong but good enough. They also rented me extra coat, tripod and boots. And most lovely part was Margaret's homemade snacks and hot drinks. I cannot forget the hot cherry pie with vanilla ice cream at that night :)
Anyway, if you are going to yellowknife and wanna see aurora, My Backyard Tours will be the perfect choice. They offer small group tour in friendly atmosphere and you can have snacks and drinks in the cozy cabin when you wait for aurora. I'm so impressed by their hospitality and kindness. They truely take care of their customers not only in the tour but in their whole stays in yellowknife!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND this tour company!!!

2  Thank 1217dudgk
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Last night we experienced the Northern Lights with this tour group, and it was an amazing experience!!! Margaret (owner) took us out of the city to an idyllic location. It is a cabin owned by Murray and it was great!!! I know the Northern Lights cannot be turned on by them, but they certainly provided the setting that was amazing to see. Margaret provided delicious homemade goodies that she cooked in the cabin in the stove which is run by propane. Hot drinks were also provided along with lots of goodies to add to the whole experience 'in the country'! It truly was a wonderful experience with two very special welcoming people (Margaret and Murray) and we thoroughly enjoyed it all! Thank you, for the personal touches you provided us in your tour! We would 'highly recommend' using this tour group if you are planning a trip to Yellowknife!

1  Thank Janice51
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We first connected with My Backyard Tours in March, and they set us up with a host of daytime activities in between terrific aurora viewing at night. Their guides are top notch and one has recently won a well-deserved award. Margaret is the consummate ambassador of the north and her passion shows clearly in her friendliness and knowledge. We enjoyed it so much that we came back in September and connected with them again. Their cabin location on Prosperous Lake could not be better. As a photographer I am keenly interested in the best vantage points, and this place definitely offers a great view with fine creature comforts to boot. Each time we visit, we long to come back. And I know that when we do, we will certainly reconnect with My Backyard Tours.

2  Thank Karen_and_Jon