“It Doesn't Get Any Better”
Review of Trout Rock Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yellowknife
Trout Rock Lodge
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have been blessed to have fished numerous spots in North and South America over the past 50 years. Without a doubt, Trout Rock Lodge consistently produces the best northern pike fishing I've ever experienced. And I've fished there 16 different years. In addition to the superior angling, the accommodations are excellent, the staff and guides are proficient and Ragnar Wesstrom [the "main man"] is an honest and delightful proprietor. In summary, any fisherman seeking the best in pike fishing owes it to him/herself to try Trout Rock Lodge. It doesn't get any better!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 19, 2013

i have been to Ragnar Wesstrom's Trout Rock Lodge 4 times now and this year was the best so far! As always, Ragnar runs a very organized show and everything went without a hitch....not always the case at fish camps! Food was excellent and accomodations were great.

We fished for 11 days and slayed'em! Our group caught over 1,600 pike...217 @ 40"s or better...and we finally we got 2 fifty inch fish!

For twenty years I have been hunting for a "fifty"....when we first fished here in 2009 we realized that Trout Rock's Great Slave waters held huge fish...just took a few trips to finally get one...excuse me...two!

My fishing partner got a 50" fish on day three of our trip (which sealed the deal beating a bunch of Albertans in a big fish pool!)...his first "fifty". Then four days later I hit the jackpot. There was an area we had fished earlier in the week where we caught & moved some huge fish....actually had the biggest pike I have ever seen up on a "figure 8" at the boat!

We were back there a couple days later and on my second cast, wham....she hit on a "figure 8" at the boat...if you have ever fished Muskies, you know how exciting it is to catch one at the boat...you get to see the whole bite & fight!!

I Knew it was a big fish...I thought 46-48"s. Our Guide Mike got the cradle ready and we landed her quickly. As he laid the cradle in the boat I noticed the fish seemed longer than the rods of the cradle....Mike muttered..."No Way....it's a 51"er!". I let out a "Big hoot" (or something close to it) and had a good look at the biggest pike I've ever caught....and again, a size I have been chasing for twenty years!

And here's the deal....after seeing all the "forties" & then seeing two "fifties" in a week, we have a good sense of the size of a fish when we lay our eyes on it. And we saw two fish...Blackie and Bertha....that are a lot bigger than our two "fifties" !!

Theyr'e waiting on us....and waiting on you! Master Guide Jeff Traversy and Guide Mike Taylor did a great for us! This was Mikes first year Guiding....and he did a super job landing that 51"er...as well as many other big fish. Thanks, Guys....and Thanks, Ragnar (SSSS)!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Pete S
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is the best Northern Pike fishery I have experienced (20+ North America trips) for both quantity and quality; lots of fish and lots of big fish. Anyone wanting to experience the excitement of the "fresh water baracuda" should have Trout Rock Lodge on their list. The fish are simply outstanding; followed by staff and accomodations. The guides work hard to make the trip safe and super enjoyable for the guests. A great evening meal and beverage make it easy to get a nights rest to be ready for the next on water opportunity. Did I mention the shorelunch?+++

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have been to Trout Rock Lodge twice, in June 2012 for fishing and in January 2013 for aurora-watching.  A number of other family members have been there on several occasions and in fact some are there now.  This is where I want to spend every vacation.

Staff: every staff member I have met at Trout Rock Lodge has been friendly, knowledgeable, helpful, and hard-working. It is a pleasure to spend time with them.

Food: breakfast and dinner are served in the Lodge, and are healthful, delicious, and plentiful. Lunch is prepared by the guides -- in summer, a shore-lunch of fresh-caught fish.

Accommodations: I have only stayed in the rooms, but there are also cabins. The rooms sleep four. They are clean and comfortable, cool in summer and warm in winter. Each room has a small bathroom.  In summer there is a toilet, sink, and shower, and in the winter, when the pipes would freeze, there is a Pacto Toilet. If you imagine a stinky chemical toilet, be reassured; the toilet is comfortable and odor-free. If anything, it is less obnoxious than a water toilet since it is quieter.

Fishing: the fishing is amazing. A 40" pike, that would be the highlight of your vacation most places, is a pretty good fish at Trout Rock Lodge. Even I managed to catch a 43" pike and other family members have caught pike up to 47". The Lodge is catch-and-release (except for shore-lunch) so they are working to maintain the fishing quality forever.

Aurora-watching: Yellowknife is supposed to be the best place in the world for aurora-watching.  We saw the aurora five nights out of six. The aurora varies in visibility and activity, but is awe-inspiring always.

Other activities: there is snow-shoeing, snowmobiling, and ice-fishing in Winter. I am told there is berry-picking in Fall but I have not done that.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Last summer I visited Trout Rock Lodge, only to find one of the best fresh water fishing experiences in my lifetime. I grew up in Eastern Canada pike fishing, so i thought I knew what to expect. Nothing could have been farther from the truth. These pike are monsters, the catching non-stop and the number of trophy fish I landed (over 40 inches) was surreal. in 3 days of fishing I caught 158 fish. That's roughly one every 12 minutes.

I loved my time there and cannot wait to return to see Ragnar and the crew. Their brand of hospitality is genuine, homegrown and very special. For those who want to get away from it all, bond with your buddies, sons or daughters and fish until you drop, I cannot emphasize enough how wonderful this spot is.

Room Tip: Pay the upgrade to the private and more recently-built lodges.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2013

2008年から9月と12月の年に2回、訪問しています。オーロラ観賞はもちろんのこと、釣り、ハイキング、カヤック、キャンプ、野イチゴ摘み、など、自然がいっぱいです。ロッジは大自然の美しさ、スタッフの暖かさで最高です。世界中、たくさん旅をしましたが、大自然に囲まれた、地球最後の、そして最高の楽園ではないでしょうか。I have visited the lodge twice a year since 2008. This is an amazing place of great nature, not only aurora watching, but also fishing of huge fish, kayaking, hiking, camping, or berry picking etc. The hospitality and staffs are super excellent. I guess there is the last and the best paradise of earth.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Why go here? Plain and simple, this lodge has the best damn pike fishing in the world! Not just lots of fish, but big fish, it is not uncommon to hook and land 60 fish over 32 inches in one day and 10 of them can be over 40" and one to two will be pushing 50". The guides certainly know where the fish are, shore lunches are amazing and the boats are the big, wide and comfortable going from hot spot to hot spot. The cabins are comfortable and the home cooked meals, you'll like them too! Your treat will be meeting the owner, Ragnar Wesstrom, quite the character and I am sure you and you fishing buddies will have a few laughs together. This lodge is definitely one for your bucket list, June is the hot month to book and you better book early to get in. Why Ragnar called the lodge, Trout Rock is still a question in everyones mind. "Pike Rock Lodge" would have been my choice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family