“Somewhat like home but needs improvement on heating”

Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Hong Kong, China
“Somewhat like home but needs improvement on heating”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

This hotel is located in city center, which is in an excellent location, if the weather is good, you can even walk to old town with no difficulties (actually I tried to walk under -30°C and it's still OK), super market is about 5min walk as well.

Probably same as others, my purpose was also viewing Aurora in Yellowknife, this is one of the few hotels in Yellowknife that Aurora hunting tour willing to provide free shuttle pickup.

My room has kitchen with electric stove, a very good option for me, because I was travelling alone so I can decide to buy food from nearby super market and cook.

Facilities look a little bit old, but they are still kept in very clean and hygiene condition. But I would like to see some improvement on temperature control, I couldn't feel warm air in my room at all even I know warm air was coming out from the heating device, simply because of -40°C temperature outside window, and the heating device is too close to window so that cold air cancelled out the heating effect, I asked staff to fix it but no luck (I didn't blame them because I know this is the defect of design).

Staff are very helpful, everything I needed to know, I wanted to do, was catered, perfect!

Finally, I would say it's a bit pricy but if you are not travelling alone like me then you shouldn't feel bad about this.

Room Tip: If you are going with family, or you would like to cook to save some money, better choose a suite wi...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Cindy R, Manager at Days Inn & Suites Yellowknife, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Good day Edward

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Days Inn & Suites.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your suite, and found everything in the room to your liking.

The heating issue is a concern, we were not aware that there was an issue in your room.
I have asked the Maintenance Manager to take a look and make necessary repairs or adjustments.

Please contact the front desk anytime of the day or night, if you experience problems with your room. We like to make it right, for every guest that visits Days Inn & Suites.

Days Inn & Suites Yellowknife

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Hotel okay, but room decor tired. Restaurant okay.

Fire doors to main stairwell were wedged open (except ground floor to reception) at 8am, midday, 3pm, 5pm, 10pm and 3am. These doors are a matter of fire safety, as the 'fire door keep closed' Days Inn signage suggest. They protect the lives of guests and staff in the event of a fire. I've seen doors wedged open 'for the convenience of guests and housekeeping' , tell that one to the fire officer. This is poor management and shows a complete disregard for safety. I'm an architect, so poor fire safety doesn't impress.

Communication with the reception staff was difficult due to language barrier and limited vocabulary.

Room Tip: Near the emergency exit stairs, at the far end of the corridor.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Steve J
Cindy R, Manager at Days Inn & Suites Yellowknife, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Good day Steve,
Thank you for bring the "door wedge" issue to our attention.

All managers were given copies of your comments, and procedures were put in place, to check all fire doors throughout the day.
The safety of our guests and staff is very important to us!

Our front desk is typically staffed with 2 employees, and I am sorry that you experienced communication/language difficulties.

Thank you for visiting Days Inn & Suites, we hope to see you again

Days Inn & Suites Yellowknife

Travelers are raving about these Yellowknife hotels

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 21, 2014

They have shuttle bus to airport. Room was clean and neat, nothing bad. Staffs were kind. Calm during the whole day. But it was bit expensive compare to other days inn branch. But in the yellowknife, city of the tourism, it was the cheapest hotel so if you want cheaper one you should chose b&b.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Good day 1217dudgk
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your visit to Days Inn & Suites.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your time with us.

I did a call around to the other hotels in Yellowknife and found that our rates are comparable with all of the hotels in the city. The rates reflect the higher cost of doing business in Canada’s north.

Please check out Days Inn, online, where you may find special online rates.

Thank you for visiting Days Inn & Suites, we hope to see you again

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Old property with facilities that show their age. Dirty room carpets (masked by a dizzying dose of Lysol), missing shower curtain, no cutlery or any microwaveable utensils (despite there being a microwave). The list goes on and on. To make matters worse, certain staff members are clueless and borderline hostile. Housekeeping kept barging into the room notwithstanding the DND sign. When asked about a microwaveable mug, the African-Canadian night operator simply said "no cups... restaurant closed". "Not a single mug or container of any kind in the entire hotel?" I asked. "Nooope" without bothering to think, then gestured towards a stack of waxed papercups with the legend "DO NOT MICROWAVE" printed on the side. I spend over a hundred nights in hotels per year and this place is by far the worst joke I've seen in a while.

Room Tip: Soundproofing is horrible--stay away from the staircase.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cindy R, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn & Suites Yellowknife, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
I am sorry that your recent stay at our hotel did not meet your expectations.
All our rooms have been or are in the process of being updated.

Our suites and junior suites, have kitchens/kitchenettes and are stocked with dishware, utensils and cookware.

Our standard rooms have a mini fridge and microwave.
We started stocking some dishware at the front desk, as soon as it was brought to our attention, that guests were needing dishware, to heat up meals, and that microwaves were used for more than just heating up a snack.

We would love to see you again, please call the hotel and ask for the GSM, we would like the opportunity to show you that all our guests are important to us, and we are a great hotel !
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Days Inns can be a bit hit or miss - but this is one of the nicer ones I've ever seen. Stayed here for 4 nights in January 2014 - in a room in the main hotel. Great location - between Old Town and Downtown. Front desk staff extremely helpful and friendly. Plenty of restaurants nearby and a small convenience store across the street. Wifi worked great and micro/fridge combo in the room was perfect for snacks and drinks (hot chocolate). Overall, very pleasantly surprised and a great price compared to other hotels in Yellowknife. As someone mentioned, there is a property across the street - but it's literally across the street, so not sure why that's such an issue. Yes it's cold - but it's Yellowknife - not sure what else you would expect there.

Room Tip: Rooms along main road were probably a bit noisier than those in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Lawrence D
WOW, thank you for the wonderful feedback.

This one has been posted on our staff message board, with a happy face!

We love hearing from our guests, every comment makes us try harder to improve our hotel and our level of service.
All of our guests are VIPs; we look forward to seeing you again!