“A Good Base In Yellowknife”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying for 5 nights at the Super 8 in Yellowknife. I got a really good deal via the Super 8 website, the price being the reason for choosing this hotel over the other downtown hotel options.

The hotel is located about 5 minutes by car or taxi from Yellowknife Airport. Unfortunately, the usual hotel shuttle buses only service the downtown hotels and do not pass the Super 8. The hotel is situated slightly out of the centre about 10 minutes by car or taxi, or a good 20 to 30 minute walk. There is also a bus service that runs hourly (half hourly in the morning and late afternoon) from close by the hotel to downtown. There is a Walmart, Pizza Hut, Subway, and Tim Hortons all located within a few paces of the hotel.

Check-in was fast, friendly, and trouble free. The receptionist realised that I was up in Yellowknife to photograph the Northern Lights during the evenings so found a quiet room on a high floor away from the elevators. Very thoughtful. The only slight noise I heard during the nights was the sound of the snow clearance on the Walmart car park occasionally. Oh, and the friendly raven outside that seemed to have perfected the sound of an alarm clock!

The bedroom and bathroom were both very clean and comfortable. There is complimentary wifi covering the whole hotel which is accessed via a username and password supplied at check-in. I was told that wifi was only available in the downstairs breakfast room, but I can confidently say that I was able to carry out internet tasks from the 4th floor all of my time at the hotel. The only minor thing was having to re-enter the username and password each day.

There is free continental breakfast available every day until 10am. This consisted of cereals, toast, bagels, freshly made waffles, yoghurt, fruit, tea, coffee, and water. A simple but effective spread to start the day. The coffee in the breakfast room is available all day and is always fresh and hot. One word of warning, don't expect any item of breakfast to be visible at one second past 10am. The breakfast lady seems to be VERY organised.

There are other hotels closer to the centre of Yellowknife that seem to be nearer to the action, but that distinction comes with a far higher room price. Also, I found out that the Tim Hortons next to the Super 8 is where the locals seem to meet. Those locals being certain Ice Road Truckers and various Buffalo Airways staff. A good place to spot famous faces, and learn about old aircraft, Ice Roads, and Northern Lights.

I enjoyed my time at the Super 8 and certainly couldn't find another hotel in Yellowknife that offered the outstanding value, free breakfast, free wifi, and cleanliness. I will certainly return.

Room Tip: All rooms seem good, but high floors are the quietest. Also the Tim Hortons next door has a 24 hour...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Kimberly N, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Yellowknife, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for your kinds words on TripAdvisor which will most definitely be shared with both staff and management of Super 8 Yellowknife. We are glad you enjoyed our SuperStart Breakfast, comfortable rooms, and were fortunate to have had the opportunity to view our magical Aurora Borealis,We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Other than the duct tape repairs on the particle board furniture the room was fine I guess. The bed had a newish matress which was nice, the room had really old carpet that compelled me to keep my shoes on, enjoyed the very friendly check in, check out was less enjoyable.

Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Kimberly N, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Yellowknife, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Thank you for your review!

Please know it was extremely disheartening to be so excited only to have an entire truckload of furnishings arrive damaged. As the old furniture had been removed, our only option was to "make do" with duct tape. We are pleased to say all items damaged during transit have since been replaced!

We do apologize for any inconvenience you experienced and hope to serve you again.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is a pretty good hotel...this has your no frills basics-if you're from the big city, no...Super 8 does not have the same quality as others. That being said, for Yellowknife, it's pretty good.

Pros:
Location-It's by Walmart and Tims which is lovely
Size-I had the king suite-->decent size
TV-I don't know why I care but it's nice to see flat screen TV's
Pet friendly-As a small dog (10lb) owner, it's nice to have a pet friendly hotel
Clean-VERY IMPORTANT. Did find a couple stray hairs on the bedsheets but I suspect this was a cling-on..didn't notice anything else
Heat-Heat worked well and operated as a single unit...I have stayed elsewhere in town where multiple rooms are controlled by one wall unit--not fun.

Cons:
Winter: There are only 8 plug-ins for the entire hotel...I was able to get a plug but I can see people becoming angry (myself included) if I had reserved at $164 a night and had a dead car at -50 in the morning.
Room condition: I was in 104-the suite bedroom door does not close, regardless of how much you try. Also, there was more brown duct tape than I'd like to see in a basic $164 a night room-some on the entertainment unit, some in the bedroom on the tv unit in there as well.

Overall, recommended place to stay. I have stayed several times before and will do so again-clean, comfortable and does exactly what it's meant to do. Hotel staff were very friendly.

Room Tip: Pet room (at least the one I was in) was on the ground floor which was great to have with a dog!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

During our renovation 85% of our furniture arrived damaged - which would explain the duct tape, it has since been replaced and looks great!

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to accommodating you in the future.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Great value for YK, and right next to wallmart and Tim's which is great if you're on a layover and need to pick a few things up without cabing somewhere. Decent basic breakfast included and friendliest front desk staff! $13 dollar drive from the airport one way.

Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Kimberly N, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Yellowknife, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments. We are glad you have enjoyed your visit to the Super 8 Yellowknife . It is a very rewarding feeling when we receieve such positive comments from our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Guest Services Manager

Reviewed December 21, 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Kimberly N, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Yellowknife, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Reviewed December 21, 2012

This is a 'no frills' Motel, with all the basics, and my room etc was clean. The service was friendly, even when I arrived at past Mid night due to my flights arrival time.
Breakfast is very basic, but works!
I just needed a place for the night between arriving to Yellow knife and then departing for the mine site, and this fills that purpose well.
Also a very short ride to the airport.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Kimberly N, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Yellowknife, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of Super 8 Yellowknife on TripAdvisor. Your comments will be shared with both staff and management. We look forward to accommodating you in the future.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

The hotel is quite convenient if you don't want to stay in down town.
Rooms are efficient and spacious. The bathroom is clean, they come in every day and clean them and change towels if required.
The staff was always friendly and willing to help.
Continental breakfast is very good and offers a very good variety.
Not a luxury hotel but a great choice for the price in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple