“Great staff, large rooms, very comfortable”
Review of Coast Fraser Tower

Coast Fraser Tower
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Reviewed December 9, 2010

I defenitely recommend this hotel. The staff is amazing, always ready to help. The suites are large and recently upgraded. The gym is not that big, but all is there. There is no other place I'd rather stay in Yellowknife.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Jepe2

Reviewed April 25, 2010

While reasonably located in central Yellowknife, this hotel is about a 10 min walk to the central part of this small city.

The rooms are huge by any standard and are equipped with a full kitchen or as fully equiped as any hotel kitchens ever are. The rooms are however quite spartan and there are no frills here so do not expect the Taj Mahal.

What peeved me the most is that the hotel does not have a full restaurant, rather they have a catered continential breakfast which was disappointing and a catered dinner with no selections. You can take the dinner up to your hotel room which was nice but in plastic containers.

Apart from this, the hotel is good value and staff are friendly. Also FREE internet access which was nice.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 13, 2010

I stayed at this hotel because of the reviews I found on this site, wrong decission. The Coast Fraser Tower was nice enough when I checked in to the hotel, a little dated not the cleanest but I thought it was nice to have an "apartment" instead of a standard hotel room.
Then it turned into the party hotel form hell, even before it was dark out. There were people who couldn't even stand upright in the lobby waiting for the elevators the noise from the adjacent rooms seemed like it was comming directly from my room. Called the front desk about the noise, it quieted for a bit but started again shortly after and continued for the entire weekend. This was enough to ruin my hotel stay but the icing on the cake was hearing form other guests about the mice they had in their room and the hotel wouldn't even discount their stay for the pest problem.
The Coast Fraser Tower would be a great place if you were there to party or didn't care about the value of the money you spend but it is not a good place to rest/relax. Definately no comparison to the southern Coast hotels not by decor or customer service.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank travelin_to_gal
ctravis50, Manager at Coast Fraser Tower, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2010

I can assure you that normally this is a very peaceful, quiet hotel, and I am sorry that we did not meet our usual level of service.
Front desk was aware of and prepared for the arrival of sports teams and the excitement and occasional noise issues that they bring. This was also an unusual circumstance because there was a city wide tournament and every hotel in Yellowknife was hosting some of the teams. Every team was advised there would be no tolerance on loud parties or misbehavior and we thought we had dealt with all complaints but from your comments we missed the mark and for that we apologize.
As for the incident relayed by the other guest, mice are a rarity in the frozen north and our pest control company came in, did an inspection and assured us that this was an isolated incident. We met with this guest and resolved the situation to everyone’s satisfaction.

I am sorry that you had an unpleasant stay with us and look forward to proving to you that we truly are a peaceful, quiet, clean hotel.

Reviewed April 2, 2010

The hotel was clean , the room was large, the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2010

I travel regularly on business to Yellowknife and I've made the rounds of the local hotels.

I won't be going back to the Coast. The location is also really out of the way when its 30 below and you want supper or even just a few snacks or a tube of toothpaste. It is one of the few hotels with no shuttle from the airport and finding a taxi can take a lot of patience and time.

The place itself is a refurbished apartment building and it hasn't been updated since the 80s. The paint on the balcony is peeling, the carpets, curtains, sofas and furniture are faded and dated (lots of pink and teal). My suite was large, but it looked tired in every respect. Internet service was very spotty if you have work to do.

The only reason I would stay here instead of the more upscale/convenient Explorer is if I needed a kitchen, which was large, clean and modern.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Chula_Banana
ctravis50, General Manager at Coast Fraser Tower, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2010

We appreciate all comments and feedback as this helps us to improve and meet all of our customers needs.
Coast Fraser Tower opened as a hotel in 2002 and at that time all hotels suites were completely renovated.
We provide an extended continental breakfast daily from 6-11 as well as complimentary 24 hour coffee and tea service, energized parking available to all guest, and many other services. We believe that this is a better dollar value to our guests rather than the shuttle. Our rates have remained the same for the 3 years in order to help in these tough economic times.
Renovations have started in half our rooms this year and the remainder in 2011. These renovations include new furniture, curtains, shower rods, safes, fridges, stoves, bedding, lamps, desk chairs; flat screen TV’s, as well as a television in the bedroom. Our main lobby is also being redone.
In 2009 we did a total modernization on our elevators and increased the cable package to include all channels, painted all hallways, doorways, and purchased new fitness equipment.
We serve a dinner in the lounge Monday to Thursday for our guest’s convenience. We also have miscellaneous amenities available at the front desk for a minimal charge.
Our balconies are being looked at by an engineer as the peeling is caused by the extreme weather conditions that happen in Yellowknife We continue to scrape and paint our balconies each June until a permanent solution to this problem is found.
While I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, I do hope you enjoy all future stays in Yellowknife.

Catherine Travis

Reviewed February 4, 2010

I must say my team's experience this past weekend (Janaury 28 - January 31) was greatly enhance by the staff at this hotel. It start with the Booking Manager (Tammy Travis) and her willingness to find the right number of rooms for us at a great rate. Then upon arriving to the hotel, they had a room set up for us to store our luggage and hang out until we could check in.

Then through out the weekend, the staff (house keeping, front desk and administration) did their bests to meet our needs. As well, I witness this same service to all the other hotel guests.

If you are looking for a great place to stay - The Coast Fraser Tower is the place to go.

Shane Thompson

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed September 12, 2009

I travel a lot and, although Coast Fraser would only rate 3-stars by North American hotel standards, it is amongst the best Yellowknife offers. I stayed 20 days and found the service consistently great, pleasant, and quick to respond. The kitchenette was stocked with the basic collection of pots, pans, dishes, and utensils, allowing preparation of small meals. Coast Fraser has no restaurant but does have a caterer who provides evening table service in an area set aside from the foyer, and those meals proved excellent and reasonably priced (for a northern venue - about 40% higher than southern Canadian city prices). Distance to good restaurants was further than what you would want to walk to and from, but the hotel offers ample free parking for vehicles (outdoor gravel with electrical outlets for winter block heaters), and there are several fast-food places nearby (e.g. pizza).

The neighbourhood is not prime for a hotel but I found this common for most of the hotels (city planning does not seem to be priority in Yellowknife, or at least not compliance enforcement). It's an easy 10 minute walk to the business and downtown sector but a healthy +25 minute walk to either "oldtown" or the boxtop retail (e.g. WAL-MART) sectors. There is a mid-sized exercise room with a moderately good selection of machines. Rental bikes are not offered by the hotel, and proved tricky to find, but are recommended for mobility in this city of almost no hills but significant walking distances between most sites of interest. The hotel suites are unusually large and spacious; well setup for large families or groups. My suite had two bedrooms, one with two double beds and the other with one double bed. The living room was large with separate kitchen and dining areas.

The TV was a good size but the cable service was problematic, often with poor audio on certain channels (hotel staff said the service provider was about to be changed because of complaints). No DVD player was provided but there were connections if you bring your own portable player. Free Wireless Internet was available but service was very sketchy from most locations in my suite so I used the wired service instead (which was still much slower than I am accustomed to in other cities).

Housekeeping staff were efficient and nice. Beds were made daily, bathrooms and kitchens were cleaned daily, vacuuming was done twice per week, and bed linen was changed twice weekly (unless something required any of these more often). I reported a bad burner on the stove at 8 am and found it replaced before I returned at 4pm.

If I travel to Yellowknife again, I will likely stay here.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business