“Great staff, great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Coast Fraser Tower

Coast Fraser Tower
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Brisbane, Australia
“Great staff, great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

We had a very enjoyable stay at this hotel after travelling all the way from Australia. The thing that stood out the most were the amazing staff. We have done a fair amount of travelling over the years and found them to be as good if not the best we've ever encountered. Always helpful, always friendly and always accommodating. We hope we get the chance to return to visit Yellowknife again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
ctravis50, Director of Sales at Coast Fraser Tower, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you so much Roo330 for your fabulous TripAdvisor review. We truly love to hear how wonderful the staff are at Coast Fraser Tower and how we exceed our guests expectations in that department.

We all pride ourselves on our customer service and we are all so happy when people are truly amazed at how friendly we all are.

We were so happy to welcome you to stay with us and we also hope you can come to stay with us again. Learning about our guests and the different lives and experiences they have when coming from a different city, province, country or continent is always something we find truly enjoyable.

Thank you again and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or future reservation requests.

t.travis@coasthotels.com
867-873-8700

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Yellowknife, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

Myself, hubby and our cat were staying in the Coast Fraser for just over a month back in July/ August 2013. We had a nice and clean 1 bed apartment on the 6th floor with the view of town. The apartment was well appointed, had a balcony and all the amenities including a kitchenette (very basic kitchen utensils but I believe they provide you with all you need if you ask). The place was kept rather clean, however after couple of weeks I've noticed the dust gathering on the furniture, bed frame etc which suggests they are not very thorough when cleaning (you wouldn't notice it though on a normal, shorter stay). The bathroom was getting very steamy after showering which could be a nuisance. Having a pet in the room proved a bit stressful at cleaning times as the cleaners often left the apartment door wide-open to easily move in and out for their supplies. I ended up waiting for the cleaner each morning to make sure the cat doesn't escape through the door. They do have a policy that pets should be in a kennel/ box whenever the owner is not around, but it seemed too harsh for my quiet and well behaved kitty to be left in her travel box for couple of hours. I spoke to the front desk but they couldn't offer any other solution at the time. The breakfast included in the room rate was adequate and always fresh, but it was a cold buffet only and proved to be quite boring and limited after couple of weeks. The staff throughout the hotel were very pleasant and helpful. They did end up overcharging us for the stay, but we got credited back after couple of weeks and filing complaint through their website (part of their process). I was quite disappointed that they only offer you up to 500 Aeroplan points after your stay, maybe they could look into it. Apart from couple of minor things I mentioned above, we had a very good and enjoyable stay and would gladly recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Ask for lake view room on higher floor if available
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ctravis50, Director of Sales at Coast Fraser Tower, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Hello Justine28,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write the TripAdvisor Review.

I do remember the overcharging problem and I am quite sorry that happened, however very pleased we were able to correct the issue. If you ever choose to stay with Coast Fraser Tower in the future this can now be handled directly through our Front Desk Manager, generally a phone call with a back up email and the problem will be solved quite promptly.

I apologize you found our cleaning practices with animals in the room to be quite stressful. It is our policy to keep the guest doors open during cleaning to ensure we know which rooms the housekeeping attendants are in and in order to ensure their safety, unfortunately this does require pets to either be with their owners at that time or secured within a kennel to ensure they don't run off. I'm glad you were able to stay in your room with your kitty during the cleaning times.

As mentioned our continental breakfast is served cold, we are in the process of trying to figure out a way to spruce this up. Unfortunately Coast Fraser Tower does not have an in-house kitchen and as such we are unable to provide a hot breakfast. We do however cater dinner in Monday-Thursday evenings from 6 - 8 at an additional cost.

Not only does Coast offer Aeroplan points however we do also provide guests with Coast Rewards points ($1 for $1 spent in the basic Silver membership, although not eligible for monthly rates) as well as Alaska Airlines points.

Thank you again for your lovely TripAdvisor review. We do enjoy that other potential CFT guests can read all past guests experiences.

Please let me know if you have any other reservation requests in the future.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed here for a Sunday night in late October.

The hotel appeared to be well run, quiet and the staff friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.
My room was very large – apartment style (way more room than I needed for one night).
It was well appointed and clean.
The hotel also offers a complimentary buffet style breakfast starting from about 06h00, which I didn’t have a chance to try because I had an early flight to catch. However, it does not have a restaurant.

Comments: The hotel is located in a residential area of town, which is about 10 to 15mins walk from the downtown core. Normally this would not be a problem, unless the weather is bad. Also, most restaurants in Yellowknife appear to be closed on a Sunday evening. However, Boston Pizza is open and serves good food and beer at reasonable prices.

I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Blue_Quill
Thank you so much Blue_Quill for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write this TripAdvisor review.

It is lovely to read that you had a good stay at Coast Fraser Tower and you would consider staying with us again.

If there is anything I can do to help you plan your next visit please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thank you again.

New Glasgow, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

I've been staying in the Coast Fraser for about 10 years when in Yellowknife on business and it's by far my favourite hotel in the small city. Every room is an apartment-style suite, so you never feel like you're in a hotel room!

Also, every room has a balcony with the views of the city and surrounding area increasing as you go up to the top of the hotel (12th floor) - this is a definite bonus!

I use the fitness room - it's small with limited equipment, but it's there and is a wonderful alternative sometimes when it's -40 and windy outdoors for running! Continental breakfast gets you on your way quickly in the morning and there is always fresh coffee at all hours in the downstairs lobby.

I have always found the staff to be efficient, friendly, and courteous. The cost is very comparable to other hotels in Yellowknife - more than most travellers would be used to paying for a room, but the rate is actually quite reasonable in comparison with what one pays elsewhere in the NWT, where I lived for 19 years.

When I'm travelling to Yellowknife, there's never a time that I don't try to snag a room in Coast Fraser first - but hotel rooms in Yellowknife are sometimes hard to get if there are many meetings/conferences on the go - so if you're going to the city, book your room(s) as far in advance as you can.

Room Tip: I recently was in a room on the 12th floor with magnificent views of Old Town, Back Bay, and the res...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank AVeitch
Thank you so much AVeitch for your wonderful TripAdvisor Review.

We definitely love to hear that people enjoy coming back to us and we are truly glad you stay with us every trip you have to Yellowknife.

We appreciate you letting every other individual who looks at TripAdvisor know what our hotel has to offer.

Keep your eyes open for some new equipment in our fitness centre in 2014.

Again, thank you and please let me know if I am able to help you during your next stay.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

This was my second time staying at Coast Fraser Tower (CFT) within a 8 weeks period. I must say that it is one of the most pleasurable experience that I have for any of my business traveling.

First off, the room is nice (based on Yellowknife standard), large living room with a pull-out sofabed, two bedrooms (one with two queen beds, and other other with a double), and a nice kitchen equipped with microwave, sink, stoves, and big fridge. It is a little bit overkill for 1 person, but it provides a lot of room to move around unlike staying in other hotels.

Every morning, they serve continental breakfast in the lobby (free), and coffee and tea available all day at no cost. The gym is small but it is practical, couple treadmills, good set of dumbbells, and of course a cable machine.

The front desk staffs are extremely friendly, and they are willing to help whichever way they can. Due to the nature of my work, my work hours when I am in Yellowknife usually from early in the morning to late evening. It is quite stressful when you are away from home and family. The front desk staffs (Jess and Thomasena) have always make my day brighter and alleviate a stressful day. Even with small talk in the morning or late in the evening, they always manage to put a smile on my face. For that, thank you.

The bedroom layout is a little bit interesting. It seems that the furniture was put in there as an afterthought. But the bed was decent, and everything is functional. It may bother other, but it does not bother me at all.

Kitchen is a plus, all the cookware and utensils are provided plus the coffee machine. I am lazy, so I usually go to the lobby for coffee instead.

When I was there, my in-room safe was not working, the front desk called the maintenance guy (Greg) after hours to fix it. Because I really need the safe for valuables, he spent nearly hour to get that working and ended up install a new safe for me.

In short, Friendly staffs, great place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on 11 to 13 floor are newer than the others. I was on the 13th floor on my first stay and I h...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank ImpulseTraveler
ctravis50, Director of Sales at Coast Fraser Tower, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Hello ImpulseTraveler,

Thank you so much for your fabulous review of Coast Fraser Tower. I have passed along your kind words to everyone here and we all love to know that you think of us as your home away from home.

Thomasena, Jess, Greg and the rest of our staff are all so amazing at doing their very best to provide our guests with whatever they require and are so happy you were pleased with their service.

Thank you for choosing to stay with CFT, multiple times, and we can not wait to host you on your next visit to Yellowknife. Hopefully we can exceed your expectations again next visit.

Have a lovely day,

Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

In the middle of August, during high season, with tight hotel rooms around Yellowknife, we arrived to check in only to find out that our reservation was at another hotel, in the same chain with a similar name two days drive away.The mistake was mine,not the hotel's. The front desk staff and management went into action and were able to accommodate us. They also helped us to cancel our incorrect reservation and avoid a penalty.
What could have been a nightmare for us was solved in a creative way. Our one bedroom suite was clean and well maintained with a stunning view .Breakfast was well presented and excellent. Hotel was handy to downtown. Would love to have stayed longer and would stay there again.Felt very welcomed.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have best view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Boisex2
Hello Boisex2,

Thank you for taking the time to write this very kind TripAdvisor review for Coast Fraser Tower.

I am pleased to hear that you were happy with our staff's quick action to correct the reservations booked between us as well as (what I assume) is Coast Fraser Inn, in Williams Lake BC. Our staff are so happy to be able to assist our guests in any way we possibly can and it was our pleasure to accommodate you during such a busy time within the city.

It is so wonderful that you left CFT with a positive view on our brand, our hotel and our staff.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Large suite with all the facilities you need for a 5 night stay. Friendly, helpful staff are on hand for information and passing the time of day. Clean and comfortable - the only minor thing would be the sound of the elevator can sometimes be a tiny bit intrusive. We would definitely stay here again - no doubt whatsoever.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hilary H
ctravis50, Director of Sales at Coast Fraser Tower, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Hello Hilary H,

Thank you so much for your kind words about Coast Fraser Tower. We truly appreciate all TripAdvisor reviews.

I am happy to hear that you think we had a clean building with friendly staff and they were able to assist you with any questions you had during your stay.

Again, thank you and please let me know if you need any assistance with bookings in the future.

t.travis@coasthotels.com