“Wonderful stay... wonderful staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coast Fraser Tower

Coast Fraser Tower
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Fredericton, Canada
“Wonderful stay... wonderful staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

We had a wonderful week at the Coast Fraser. Beautiful one bedroom with kitchen on the 13th floor, view of the lake, quiet, comfy king bad, zip fast wifi, supper clean. The staff was beyond friendly and helpful, thanks so much to all of the lovely ladies that took such good care of us!

Room Tip: Ask for the 13th floor with the view of Great Slave Lake. Very quiet and very spacious and clean.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ctravis50, Director of Sales at Coast Fraser Tower, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you Kathy H.

Your kind words about our staff and hotel are very much appreciated. We truly love when our guests leave as happy as you seem to have.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or would like to book any future accommodations.

Reservations, Sales & Catering

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Huge suites in this converted condominium building that is stil 50% condos and 50% hotel rooms. We had two 2-bedroom suites that were absolutely HUGE! Think big apartment/condo...in fact the bedrooms were bigger than a hotel room I had in Manhattan :-) Nice little kitchens, big screen TV's, comfy Beautyrest mattresses, turbocharged shower pressure. Blackout drapes were a nice touch in June when the sun barely goes down!

Nice fitness centre, decent complimentary continental breakfast in nice common room off lobby, free wifi...all nice touches. Didn't take advantage of them but there's a lounge/restaurant & meeting rooms too. Staff was all fantastic, great people who did a great job.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong here, 1 br suite or 2 br suite are excellent!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Habby31
ctravis50, Director of Sales at Coast Fraser Tower, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Hello Habby31,

Thank you so much for your positive review on TripAdvisor.

Coast Fraser Tower prides ourself on our large hotel suites (600 - 1100 feet in size) and we want all our guests to feel at home while staying with us.

Your kind words about our staff will be passed along and they love to hear that guests were pleased with their customer service.

Please let me know if there is anything I can assist you with on future stays to Yellowknife.

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

I arrived at the coast hotel in yellowknife last monday afternoon and when I went into check in, they asked if I could wait for a minute because the manager wanted to speak with me. Apparently my travel agent had booked the hotel in their online system, but they were sold out. These types of errors can sometimes occur, however I was a little nervous because accomodations in YK can be limited, and you never know the quality you might get. Christine was extremely apologetic and was able to find me another room in a good quality hotel. Many thanks for looking after me. By the way although I didnt see the rooms - the hotel looked clean and they look to take care of you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hello Jim,

Your patience during the overbooking situation was truly remarkable, we were so happy to have such an understanding guest come to the hotel.

It was my pleasure to find you a hotel room for the evening and I hope it was satisfactory and up to your standards.

Please let me know if there is anything I can assist you with in the future and we look forward to having you stay with us at Coast Fraser Tower.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

The staff at the hotel provided great service. Kudos to GM Katherine (who went above and beyond driving a forgotten charger out to the airport for me), Sean and Jessica. This is a great hotel if you are looking for a kitchenette to do your own meals versus ordering room service / hitting a restaurant for all meals. The walk to downtown / old town was very easy (just a few mins to d.t.) and we were close to shopping and hiking. The balconies are an added bonus.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Great Slave Lake.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kathy W
ctravis50, General Manager at Coast Fraser Tower, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Hello Kathy W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out the TripAdvisor comment, all of the Coast Fraser Tower staff truly appreciate your wonderful feedback.

It was Catherine's pleasure to deliver your forgotten charger to the airport. All Coast Fraser Tower staff strive to do our best and show how much you matter to us; including driving forgotten items to the airport. Your lovely comments about Sean and Jessica will be passed along to them and I can assure you they will be very grateful.

I'm happy that you enjoyed your room, all are full suites with balconies to provide guests with as much space as they need.

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

t.travis@coasthotels.com
Reservations, Sales and Catering.
Inuvik, Northwest Territories, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Only spent one night here but it was excellent. Our suite was spacious, clean, quiet and comfortable.
Staff went above and beyond for us.
Free Continental breakfast was fresh and well laid out.
Only downfall was not close to shopping and entertainment but maybe that is why it was so quiet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Greg M
Hello Greg M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out the TripAdvisor comment, Coast Fraser Tower appreciates all feedback.

I am so happy that you enjoyed your one night stay with us and found Coast Fraser Tower to be a great place to stay. Our staff are always ready and willing to go out of their way to help our guests and tenants, we want you to always feel like you're at home.

Coast Fraser Tower is an approximate 10 minute walk from the downtown shopping and restaurant district and this is what makes us a quieter place to stay. I hope the distance was not too much of an inconvenience for you.

Reservations, Sales and Catering
Halifax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We spent five nights at the Coast Fraser Tower and are all very satisfied with our stay. Our 2 bedroom suite had a large living room and spacious bedrooms. The kitchen and bathroom are small but adequate. Equipment in the kitchen is minimal but the toaster, microwave, kettle, oven and fridge were all clean and in good working order.
All the staff we met were all pleasant and helpful. The continental breakfast is plentiful and items are continually replenished. The breakfast hours (6am - 11am) are very considerate for those spending their nights on aurora watch.
There is not much around the immediate area of the hotel with the nearest grocery store about 4 blocks away. This would not have been a problem except the temperatures were unusually frigid for the time of year!
Overall a great stay and good value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank XRBrook
ctravis50, Director of Sales at Coast Fraser Tower, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Hello XRBrook,

First, thank you so much for taking the time to fill out this TripAdvisor Rating, all the staff at Coast Fraser Tower truly appreciate your feedback.

We are so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and are hoping that on your next visit to Yellowknife you choose to stay with us again. In the future, please let us know if there is anything you need that is not in your room (ie: cheese grater, collander) and we would be more than pleased to bring that item to your room. We do have many things on hand at the hotel that may not be in every room.

Thanks so much for enjoying our complimentary continental breakfast, hopefully you and your family were some of the many that come to Yellowknife to view the Aurora and got to enjoy it later in the morning.

Have a lovely day and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reservations, Sales and Catering
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Guest staying at this hotel should check out at noon, right on the dot! Otherwise, front desk will come see you at the door with the maintenance crew. They might even break down the door and kick you out.

While I will not rate my general experience as bad, but I feel the incident on my check out day negatively tainted my experience at Coast Fraser. When I first arrived, I felt the gentlemen at the front desk was quite helpful and I was able to settle in my room in no time. Throughout the 4 days of my stay, I felt the hotel had a pretty good atmosphere, the staff was nice and the rooms were reasonably appointed. All the basics were there and for a hotel in Yellowknife, I felt my expectations were met. On day four, I decided to stay one more day, and the lady in reservation was helpful with extending my stay, so I did have a pleasant stay until the last morning.

After 5 nights of Aurora watching I was a bit tired, and decided I don't need to get up before 11am the next day and of course I overslept that morning. It was about 11:40am and I got up and was getting ready to go, and the phone rang. I was in the bedroom and by the time I got out to the living room to answer it, it had already gone to voicemail. So I ignored it and went to the bathroom........ Suddenly I heard someone knocking on the door, but mind you I was only half dressed. I then asked who it was, and the lady said it's the front desk. She said she wanted to talk to me, so I told her I was not dressed and I wasn't going to open the door half naked. I looked through the security thing on the door and saw the lady, with another staff plus a maintenance worker. It looked like they were going to come in. I also noticed the security bolt had already been unlocked. I was definitely not pleased at that point, so I said I need a little bit more time before I'm ready, even though I could probably leave in about 5 minutes(and this was still before noon). She then said how much time do I need? Come on, this is not a negotiation! I told her I need 20 minutes, and you know what? The phone rang again at exactly 12:20pm just after I left the door to go downstairs. I heard it ring while I was waiting for the elevator!

Apparently, they had called a few times that morning but I was in the bedroom and there was only one phone in the entire 2 bedroom suite????? Can you blame me for not hearing the phone when I'm sleeping with the door closed and the phone was at least 15 ft away from the door. When I checked out, the lady at the desk emphasized that the check out time is at noon, and that was with an attitude that I didn't care for.

What kind of customer service is this????? I've stayed in many hotels around the world, some of them the best in the industry, and not once had I encountered anything like this. I may not work in the service industry, but I know this is not the right kind of customer service. Had there not been the incident, I would have rated this hotel at least a 4 and possibly 5, but I'm only able to give it a 2. It's unfortunate but this is what happened and I'm sure not pleased. With so many choices out there, I will probably try the Explorer next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Vincent N
ctravis50, Director of Sales at Coast Fraser Tower, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Hello Vincent,

I am truly sorry that you had a negative last day with us at Coast Fraser Tower.

It is our policy to contact our guests by telephone prior to noon to ensure that they are aware of our check out time, to find out whether or not they require a little extra time or perhaps a late check out or to verify that their reservation dates have not changed. As you had extended your reservation the day prior we wanted to ensure you did not want an additional extension.

As the front desk tried to contact you a few times, it may have been thought that you had checked out without contacting the front desk or that something may have happened. Our Guest Services/Front Desk Manager went up to your room along with our Maintenance Manager, who is trained in First Aid & CPR, to ensure that everything was ok in your room and to ensure your safety. I am sorry that it seemed they were trying to enter your hotel suite, I can assure you this would not happen, and that you found the tone of voice used to be harsh and one you did not care for. We will be speaking to all individuals who were involved in this incident to ensure that this does not happen again.

Our main priority at Coast Fraser Tower is to ensure that all guests have a pleasant experience with over the top Customer Service, I truly hope that you do choose to stay with us again so we may show you how much we care.

Your positive comments about your check in, reservation extension and the hotel atmosphere and staff are much appreciated.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the TripAdvisor Comment.
Sales, Reservations and Catering