Coast Fraser Tower
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I recently spent four nights at this hotel. The room was very large, a small apartment really. Fully equiped kitchen which was very handy. Bed was very comfortable. The room was spotlessly clean. It's a busy place, but quiet at night. The location is good, an easy walk to downtown, but in a quiet, safe residential area. The gym has high quality equipment and is well maintained. All the staff I came into contact with were friendly and helpful; Jessica at the front desk was exceptional! I'll stay here again when I return to Yellowknife!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel for three nights. Our room was very very spacious, more like an apartment than a hotel room, spotlessly clean and really comfy bed. All the staff that we came into contact with were very friendly and helpful. There is a complimentary continental breakfast provided and although some people may consider this not adequate there is more than enough to choose from (despite no hot food options). It is not that far to walk to the downtown area but at minus 30 - 40 temps over the past few days we chose to drive everywhere we went. If we ever go back to Yellowknife - for more aurora viewing (which we did not need to do a tour for), to drive the ice road again or to see the lakes during another season we would definately choose to stay at the Coast Fraser Tower..

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bethie
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We never actually ended up staying at the Coast Fraser Hotel because our flights were cancelled due to weather conditions in our community. Upon calling the hotel as soon as we found out about the cancellation to see if we could change our reservation to the following night, we were informed that we had missed the 24 hour window for cancellations/rebookings and would be charged for the room. I was extremely disappointed as we have stayed in several other hotels in Yellowknife where if you are delayed or can't make your flight due to weather they have happily changed our reservation for us at no cost. We are now paying $160 for a room we don't even get to enjoy, with no reimbursement whatsoever. We had also booked to stay here on our way back through Yellowknife, but due to the strict/unreasonable cancellation policy we have cancelled our April reservation and have booked to stay elsewhere. The receptionist was also very unhelpful and didn't offer any other options, overall very disappointing service for what looked to be a great hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lori A
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We recently stayed at the Coast Fraser Tower in Yellowknife. We had a suite that was very comfortable for 3 people. Catherine Travis, Cindy Rowe, Chelsea and Sean all were professional and very friendly. All our requests were met and we had a delicious dinner as well. Good place to stay in Yellowknife

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lynne L
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Catherine (manager) was very accommodating when my travel plans changed and I needed extra nights for my stay. Very comfortable establishment and staff are friendly. I'm not very good at reviews and 200 characters seems cruel and unusual!

Room Tip: Rooms on south side of building are warmer/sheltered from prevailing winds.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Bryan S
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed here for four nights last week, the first time I've stayed at this hotel in Yellowknife. Of the four hotels I've stayed at on various visits, the Coast Fraser is now my #2 choice in the city.

The hotel looks to be an ex-apartment building, something that was confirmed for me by a local resident. Because of that, and because of rather poor signage, you have to almost be at the front door before you realize that it's a hotel at all.

Once inside, the service from the staff was excellent. In the lobby there's free coffee available 24/7, a great help for those dealing with several hours of jet lag, and awake at odd hours. The continental breakfast is free and is quite adequate, offering toast, muffins, bagels, cereals, and yogurt, plus all the required toppings and a couple kinds of juice.

I'm not sure if all the rooms are the same, but mine was essentially a one-bedroom apartment. Had I been staying longer, I would have stocked up on some food from the grocery store and done my own cooking to save a bit of money on meals. However, it wasn't really worth it for four days. As for noise, it doesn't seem to travel much horizontally, but it does vertically. While lying in bed one evening the sound of the person on the floor below opening and closing the closet door was so clear that I actually got up to check my own room to see if someone had come into my room and opened the hall closet. That being said, there was no loud noise from yelling, partying etc., and I was able to sleep well each night.

The downside of the Coast Fraser, and the reasons it won't make it to my #1 choice for Yellowknife are:

a) location. It's not that far from where I work when I go to Yellowknife, but it's a 15-minute walk which can be uncomfortable when the temp hits -40C with windchill. And that's just in November;

b) the hotel does not participate in the free hotel shuttle program, so count on spending about $20 each way for airport cabs;

c) the majority of people I work with stay at the Explorer. Not being there cuts me off from the after-hours networking opportunities. That's important to me because I'm there to work, not to play the tourist.

Bottom line is the Coast Fraser is a good hotel, and I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Peter B
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Let me start by noting that this property is not going to blow you away. Let's face it, hotels in Yellowknife are pretty bare bones, on account of the fact that most of the guests are business travelers, and being a smaller city, there really is not much in the way of competition in Yellowknife, which still lacks a true premium business hotels like Fairmont, Westin, Delta, Marriott etc...

But as a business hotel, the CFT is head and shoulders above the others, even if you don't get one of the upgraded rooms on the upper floors.

First all are suites so you have a separate bedroom and wont wake up to slamming doors in the hallway at 5am. Second a balcony and windows that OPEN (hello Explorer hotel), Third a kitchen with fridge, and sitting area, and lastly, great views of town, especially on upper floors.

Only real issue is that its often booked up so book well in advance if you know you are going. And its often a little more pricey than some of the other options in town.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business