“Excellent staff”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Hay River, Canada
“Excellent staff”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Catherine (manager) was very accommodating when my travel plans changed and I needed extra nights for my stay. Very comfortable establishment and staff are friendly. I'm not very good at reviews and 200 characters seems cruel and unusual!

Room Tip: Rooms on south side of building are warmer/sheltered from prevailing winds.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Bryan S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed here for four nights last week, the first time I've stayed at this hotel in Yellowknife. Of the four hotels I've stayed at on various visits, the Coast Fraser is now my #2 choice in the city.

The hotel looks to be an ex-apartment building, something that was confirmed for me by a local resident. Because of that, and because of rather poor signage, you have to almost be at the front door before you realize that it's a hotel at all.

Once inside, the service from the staff was excellent. In the lobby there's free coffee available 24/7, a great help for those dealing with several hours of jet lag, and awake at odd hours. The continental breakfast is free and is quite adequate, offering toast, muffins, bagels, cereals, and yogurt, plus all the required toppings and a couple kinds of juice.

I'm not sure if all the rooms are the same, but mine was essentially a one-bedroom apartment. Had I been staying longer, I would have stocked up on some food from the grocery store and done my own cooking to save a bit of money on meals. However, it wasn't really worth it for four days. As for noise, it doesn't seem to travel much horizontally, but it does vertically. While lying in bed one evening the sound of the person on the floor below opening and closing the closet door was so clear that I actually got up to check my own room to see if someone had come into my room and opened the hall closet. That being said, there was no loud noise from yelling, partying etc., and I was able to sleep well each night.

The downside of the Coast Fraser, and the reasons it won't make it to my #1 choice for Yellowknife are:

a) location. It's not that far from where I work when I go to Yellowknife, but it's a 15-minute walk which can be uncomfortable when the temp hits -40C with windchill. And that's just in November;

b) the hotel does not participate in the free hotel shuttle program, so count on spending about $20 each way for airport cabs;

c) the majority of people I work with stay at the Explorer. Not being there cuts me off from the after-hours networking opportunities. That's important to me because I'm there to work, not to play the tourist.

Bottom line is the Coast Fraser is a good hotel, and I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Peter B
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Let me start by noting that this property is not going to blow you away. Let's face it, hotels in Yellowknife are pretty bare bones, on account of the fact that most of the guests are business travelers, and being a smaller city, there really is not much in the way of competition in Yellowknife, which still lacks a true premium business hotels like Fairmont, Westin, Delta, Marriott etc...

But as a business hotel, the CFT is head and shoulders above the others, even if you don't get one of the upgraded rooms on the upper floors.

First all are suites so you have a separate bedroom and wont wake up to slamming doors in the hallway at 5am. Second a balcony and windows that OPEN (hello Explorer hotel), Third a kitchen with fridge, and sitting area, and lastly, great views of town, especially on upper floors.

Only real issue is that its often booked up so book well in advance if you know you are going. And its often a little more pricey than some of the other options in town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Trinidad
Reviewed October 28, 2012

On my arrival I was greeted by friendly and welcoming reception staff who throughout my short stay went out of their way to make my visit a pleasant one. The comfortable communal lounge area adjacent to the reception had a good selection of free and unlimited beverages - a very nice touch. My room - really an apartment - was huge with a surprisingly well equipped kitchen, a large lounge and a balconly with extensive views across the lake and city. The decor and furniture were a little tired and there was a fair bit of noise from above and next door but overall I was very happy with the accomodation. I used the washing and drying machines and found the facility easy and efficient.
Other hotels in Yellowknife could learn a thing or two from the Coast Fraser Tower.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the lake. The higher the better.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve993
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The room was actually an apartment, with balcony, fully outfitted kitchen with coffee maker, great coffee, fridge, dishes, pots, etc. plus a dining area, There was lots of room, very comfy king size bed. Iron and ironing board, lots of closet space, tv's in bedroom and living room. Helpful and friendly staff. Good location for me, within walking distance to my son's house and shopping. O yes, saw the sunrise and full moon and excellent views.

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room on the upper levels,.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Checked out of the Explorer to come here. Much cleaner and amazing service. Rooms are great, nice and big. Free local calls unlike the Explorer. Best value and free breakfast. Really good gym too. I will be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Curt0032
Ottawa
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My room (1306) appeared to have been recently renovated. The living room was spacious with a couch, TV and desk. The kitchen had a coffee maker, full fridge, stove and dishwasher with plates\cutlery\pots\dish soap. My King size bed was very comfortable. Bathroom is somewhat small but also very clean.

Continental breakfast was adequate for me (Bagels\toast, juice, yogurt, some fresh fruit and muffins). Coffee and tea are available in the lobby 24 hours a day.

Overall I was very happy with my stay and I found the kitchen very handy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business