“Excellent food, questionable service & value”

Thornton's Wine & Tapas Room
Ranked #9 of 73 Restaurants in Yellowknife
Cuisines: Wine Bar, Canadian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Perth, Australia
“Excellent food, questionable service & value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I've now been 3 or 4 times, with my wife or with business groups. I've always enjoyed the food, although I haven't been able to find any Tapas on the menu. Being in a corner of a shed out the back of downtown, it always feels crowded to me. I like my space. They have had high turnover recently and service has been from poor to terrible - hopefully it is building back up now. I'd probably rate it one step higher if prices were about 75% of what they are.

1 Thank bigmuz12

Yellowknife, Canada
“Some of the best food in Yellowknife but very small space”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

I have been here several times and it has always been very good food. Earlier this week I was there with a large group and no one had any complaints about the food. We sampled just about every appetizer and a few of us had entrées. I had the bison and it was great!

The only downside is that when the place is really busy it is virtually impossible to move or hear anyone talking. The service can be very slow and some of the servers are a little rude but, living in Yellowknife, I have come to expect very high prices and poor service.
The lack of space does deter me from agreeing that this is the #1 restaurant but I will definitely be back!

1 Thank Rob4562
Whitby, Canada
“Wonderful surprise in Yellowknife”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

A group of colleagues and I went out for tapas and wine earlier this week at Thornton's and we really enjoyed the experience. The outside of the place is misleading, but inside the atmosphere was very nice and upscale. We had every tampas dish available and they were all delicious. We doubted the "fresh" oysters would be up to snuff, but they were great too. The cheese plate was excellent as well. The wine list was extensive - a little pricey, but hey, you're in Yellowknife not Avenue Road in Toronto (it takes extra $ to ship wine that far).

If you're in Yellowknife, this is definitely a nice spot to go.

1 Thank Kirk F
Toronto, Canada
“Over rated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

This place is over priced and over rated! The food was mediocre, the service slow, but the prices outrageous. This place was rated #1, which causes me to seriously doubt ratings.

Visited October 2013
Toronto, Canada
“over rated and over priced”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Based on previous reviews we decided to go to this restaurant. What a huge disappointment!!

I now wonder if people who have not gone to this restaurant have actually written the reviews here. I saw a program that showed how people who don't use the product or service actually get paid to write reviews. I hope that this restaurant is not one of these.

We have traveled many places in this world and have found this restaurant one of the worst.

The service was terrible. From the time we came in we had to wait at least 15 minutes before getting the over priced wine and another 15 minutes before we got our tough brusell sprouts that we were expecting to get with our main meal. No one explained the menu to us. Then we waited another 15 minutes before we got our main meal. My husband ordered the bison and I ordered the pork loin. The presentation of either is not what one would expect for what they were charging.

My pork was tough and I could not recognize what else was included in that stew if that was what it was supposed to be.

We basically had to sit for 45 minutes with water not being refilled and no food on our table. We are used to having something on the table (oil and bread or something) before the order is brought to us. Don't expect that here. Go if you want to pay overrated prices for overrated food.

• Visited October 2013