“Dream come true!”

North Star Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to Yellowknife! We offer a number of fun, exciting and interesting summer and winter Day Tours and Packages. Our specialty is our Aurora Hunting tours! As a 100% First Nation's owned tour company, we take great pride in showing our guests our homeland and sharing our culture and stories from the old days. All of our guides are Aboriginal and from the area. Our primary guide Joe, is First Nation's he is a descendent of the true Yellowknife's Dene, he grew up in the Great Slave Lake area, he knows the history, the places and people of Yellowknife, he knows Yellowknife and he is always happy to share his stories with you. If you are looking for a smaller, more personal tour experience with a local First Nation's tour company then North Star Adventures is for you! We look forward to having you on our tours! :)
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I can finally strike off the Northern lights from my bucket list thanks to Joe from North Star Adventures who significantly increased our chances of Aurora sightings. My wife and I toured with Joe for 4 nights starting March 23 and the best Aurora sightings were on the night of March 25th when the whole sky lit up offering a eye popping spectacle. The Aurora's were so brilliant, vivid and psychedelic that our brains froze!

The unique offering from Joe is that he ferries the group touring with him from one lake to another until viewing conditions improve. The experience was all the more memorable since Joe offered a truly personalized experience keeping all tourists engaged through every night. On all 4 nights Joe sustained the same level of enthusiasm and patience night after night. Our lady driver Dawn was truly sweet and kept us engaged all through the drive. Despite being out in VERY COLD conditions (-20 to -30 C) for 4 hours at a stretch there was never a boring moment thanks to Joe, Dawn and the diverse, enthusiastic and determined tourists from all over the world (Hong Kong, China, Korea, Canada). Thank you Joe for offering tips on night sky photography and taking excellent pictures of us!

The Aurora tour includes timely pick-up and drop-off from Hotel or BnB, staying out for 4-5 hours until viewing conditions improve.
We opted for a package that included 4 nights of Aurora tour, winter clothing rental(Goose Parka, ski pants, snow boots,mitten), snow mobile, dog sledding, airport drop-off and unlimited people pictures. We also rented a tripod from him. Dog sledding and Snow mobile was offered via Beck's Kennel. Snow mobile is meant for 2 people while dog sledding involves 8 people being pulled by 14 skinny dogs across a frozen lake. Exciting indeed.

Joe and his staff added a personal touch in the end when they dropped us off to the airport and handed over a USB with all our pictures in it along with a little post card memento.

No picture can do justice to the beautiful sight of the Aurora Borealis.

1  Thank psub_prowling
There are newer reviews for North Star Adventures

Reviewed March 29, 2014

North Star Adventures provided a wonderful experience for us in Yellowknife. Their guides were very knowledgeable of the area and history, and also well versed in best techniques in photographing aurora. It was good to know that the aurora tours were not in the same location each night, but rather we were mobile to allow for navigation around obscuring clouds. Activities were well planned and executed, and any logistics challenges on their end were transparent to us as guests. The cold weather gear was of expedition quality and well maintained. NSA provided a friendly and personal service for us. They are a hidden gem for those interested in aurora tourism. We have recommended them to others and would definitely use them again if we return to Yellowknife.

2  Thank hedgepuppy
Reviewed March 28, 2014

My wonderful and beautiful wife along with my daughters bought me a ticket to Yellowknife for my 50th Birthday. It was a dream of mine for some time. Yes it was a return ticket I joked with my friends. Hopefully I would check another box off my bucket list. I had the amazing pleasure of meeting Joe for one of his stellar tours no pun intended and came away with the most incredible experiences. I read extensively for almost a year about timing and solar cycles and who to tour with. I am very glad I found these group. Joe is the guy you meet for 10 minutes and its like you knew him for 10 years. He has that rare quality of passion for his work in the night sky and combines it with warmth and hospitality. It is no surprise that the staff share his enthusiasm. I cannot say I heard anyone share that feeling with the other tour groups.

Great things can be said about great staff and professionalism. You could write a novel about this tour group. Joe is the guy you meet for 10 minutes and its like you knew him for 10 years. He has that rare quality of passion for his work in the night sky and combines it with warmth and hospitality. It is no surprise that the staff share his enthusiasm. I cannot say I heard anyone share that feeling with the other tour groups. Joe took us out to Prosperous Lake on the first night. He stopped the van on the dark frozen lake and it didn't take long. Before the great show I practiced star photography to make sure everything was ready. Took some amazing pictures of the Milky Way, Jupiter, and Mars that made a show later. The Auroramax and Spaceweather sites on the Internet showed time frames for the Aurora just after midnight. Then the magic happened. The skies filled with a green ribbon that eventually stretched across the entire sky from one end of the lake to the next. The best discription is when you were a kid and you made waves with the blankets. It was like standing under a bright green curtain. The Aurora eventually began that relective shimmering you read about. The sky did in fact look like it was on fire, only it was incredibly cold. I was so impressed I booked the second night right in the van.

The second night was also clear for most of the day but took a slight turn for the worse at the 8 pm mark with clouds. We ventured off with a pickup exactly at the time set up. Zhang texted and said we would be picked up at 10:20 that night and the van pulled up exactly at that time. We ventured out to a couple of lakes including Vee Lake. It was unfortunate but the clouds won over the tour and sadly we made our way back after a couple of hours of searching and setting up camera's. The Aurora was out but behind some heavy cloud cover.

THE MIRACLE RETURNS
With most of the tourists from Asia and a few from the US, India, and Britain we hung our heads down as we did not get a great view. Just as we were returning to Yellowknife it appeared. Like a Daytona 500 final pit stop we cleared the van out and set up camera's. There is truly something facinating and fun with people when they are trying to set up camera's quickly to get the shot not knowing how long we had. Plenty of laughter with the setup and the pictures were magic. Two great nights and two fantastic tours. Thank You Joe and a very special thank you to Dawn who was entertaining, fun, and drove us around safely on the dark country roads. Great stories about her life way up North and fun stories shared about teenagers and their OMG's with texting. Finally a great big thank you to my wonderful wife and daughters for making the dream a reality. The gift shop gives out these first Nation Dream Catchers. I think if you want to find that dream and catch the aurora North Star Adventures will get you there. Pictures to follow.

IMPORTANT.
- FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY DOES NOT WORK AND IS NOT WELCOMED BY THE OTHER PHOTOGRAPHERS.
-THE TEMPERATURE DROPPED BELOW -25 C WITHOUT THE WIND CHILL. GET MULTIPLE LAYERS OF CLOTHING ON AND GOOD WARM BOOTS. HOT PAKS FOR THE GLOVES AND BOOTS WORKED LIKE A CHARM. EXTRA BATTERIES FOR THE CAMERA AS THE COLD DRAINS THEIR CHARGE QUICKLY.

3  Thank David Q
Reviewed March 26, 2014

My brother and I spent four days in Yellowknife and while we we covered the bases from dogsledding to ice fishing to snowmobiling, our primary objective was simple: enjoy the Aurora Borealis and get some good pictures. We tried 4 different Aurora companies, one for each night and Joe was a close second but I'd go out with him again any day. He was fun, informational, kind and intuitive. He took care of his guests and truly wanted the best experience for us all. Unfortunately, his was our only cloudy night of the four so the fact that he still comes in second place says a lot. He was entertaining and fun to be around and the fact that we were mobile all night gave us the unique opportunity to see different places and try different spots in order to maximize our time and effort. It is quite possible that had the weather been more cooperative, Joe would be at the top of my list...

1  Thank FruityJ
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Joe and the North Star Adventures crew organized a great guided trip. We were fortunate to have a clear night and got to see the aurora borealis and have Joe take some awesome pictures of us so we'll always remember that night. Joe has a constant smile on his face. His love for the north is contagious.

2  Thank dngclark