“Arctic Photography Adventure”

Peterson's Point Lake Lodge
Gatineau, Canada
“Arctic Photography Adventure”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I was privileged to attend a one week photography workshop at Peterson's Point Lake Lodge (PPLL). The lodge is located by the lake and is reachable by float plane only. In the fall, the tundra displays beautiful red, yellow and mauve colours, which are truly spectacular, and a dream for photographers. The northern lights visible at PPLL are something that one never forgets. All in all, the location is a small paradise.

I really enjoyed my stay at the lodge. The trip was professionally organized by Margaret Peterson. The photo course by Robert Berdan was great. The cooking at the lodge was inspired and appetizing (see photo of Beef Wellington). The guides were competent, and their ability to spot animals are not equalled (see photo of caribou).

A very enjoyable trip!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Peterson’s Point Lake Lodge offers northern hospitality at its finest. This was my first trip to the tundra and the experience was outstanding, from start to finish.

The Northwest Territories presents many unique photographic opportunities, from abundant wildlife such as caribou, cross-foxes, grouse and ptarmigan, to the rocky landscapes of the boreal forest, and the vast expanse of the tundra in its vibrant fall colours of crimson and gold. At night, the aurora borealis dance in the sky, shimmering in dazzling shades of green and magenta.

The 7-day Arctic Photography Tour is offered in early September. It begins with two days in Yellowknife, and includes Margaret Peterson’s charming tour of Old Town, a boat trip on Great Slave Lake, and a scenic hike to Cameron Falls on the historic Ingraham Trail. For two nights, our group photographed the beautiful aurora at Prelude Lake and at Aurora Village.

We photographed by day and late into each night, guided by our expert instructor Robert Berdan, an accomplished wildlife & nature photographer. Each of us appreciated Robert’s warm personality and his boundless enthusiasm, along with his extraordinary teaching skills – we learned a lot from Robert, and everyone in our group was very satisfied with their pictures.

After a champagne breakfast featuring Margaret’s scrumptious homemade bannock and jam, we boarded our floatplane and headed north to Lodge. We flew over thousands of lakes etched into the rock of the Canadian Shield – the massive scale and beauty of the land, are astounding.

The main Lodge at Point Lake is bright and spacious, and our cabins were warm and comfortable. We enjoyed daily hikes on the tundra with our superb guides Bruce and Chuck, both of whom are very knowledgeable about the land, animals, lakes and fish. They are experts at spotting wildlife and caribou on the land, and they also helped us find the best hiding spots from which to photograph the caribou. Chuck, Bruce and Robert also taught us about the various mosses, lichens, berries, trees and plants on the tundra, my favorite being Labrador Tea.

One afternoon, Chad (owner of the Lodge) fired up the sauna – it was a delightfully luxurious way to relax before dinner! We enjoyed delicious and plentiful gourmet meals prepared by talented cooks Betty, Dawn, and Amanda. I especially liked that we all ate together, owners, staff and guests around a big table, family-style. There was time to socialize, lots of laughter and George’s hilarious stories! In the evenings, Robert hosted interesting presentations on photography and the history of the local region.

On our last afternoon at Point Lake, we went by boat to Caribou Bay, where I was thrilled to see wolf tracks among the many caribou tracks, in the sand along the shoreline. Our last evening at Point Lake Lodge was celebrated with a delicious Northern Feast, then a slideshow where we shared pictures and stories of our time together. The next morning we boarded our floatplane and returned to Yellowknife, where we talked about our shared adventure, then said our goodbyes.

I am exceptionally impressed with the owners and staff of Peterson’s Point Lake Lodge; they take great care to make you feel welcome and at home, and you are treated like a friend. If you dream of experiencing the magnificent tundra, I highly recommend Peterson’s Point Lake Lodge.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DSavoy19
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Members of our group have been fishing the North for over 30 years and Peterson's Point Lake Lodge is a real gem. The Lake Trout fishing is great, a combination of beautiful scenery, very comfortable accommodations and meals, but the staff is the real winner that sets this experience apart from many others. I have never been to another Lodge that has this type of chemistry. One thing that stands out is that the entire staff eats meals, at the same time in the lodge dining room. There is no separation of staff and clients, it is just a group of friends having a great experiance in a beautiful location. This was our group's 3rd trip to Peterson's Lake Point Lodge and there have been no disappointments.

KBW in Bend, Oregon

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KEN W
Valleyview, Canada
Reviewed October 17, 2013

NWT fishing vacations are some of the best in Canada and if you are looking for a unique way to experience a great fishing trip, Peterson's point Lake Lodge is one of the best. From the time you arrive in Yellowknife, your fishing adventure becomes a lifetime experience. You arrive as a client and soon become a friend of the Peterson family.
The 11/2 hour flight from YK to the lodge gives you time to dream about the big one, and you quickly come out of your dream with the fabulous view of the lodge upon landing. The lodge is nestle on top of a large esker, towering over a beautiful sandy beach, equal to the best in the world.
Once on the ground, you are greeted by a personable staff and ushered to the main lodge and to your sleeping quarters. The accomodations are excellent, with hot shower and comfortable, clean cabins. If you are planning on loosing weight while there, think again, the meals are fabulous and the shore lunches prepared by the guides are the best.
The guides are experience, safe, always ready to assist and take the hassles out of your fishing expedition. Boating to the fishing hot spots is a great way to get away, relax and enjoy the pristine scenery. Fishing for lake trout is a unique, must-go fishing experience making for wonderful memories, you will be sure to talk about for years to come.
Beleive me, if you are looking for lots of fishing action and a chance to battle a " big Laker " while trolling or fly fishing, Peterson's Point Lake Lodge is the place to go.
I will be back

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

I returned to Peterson's Point Lake Lodge again last summer. The lake trout were Big and hungry again this year. The guides and staff are outstanding . The accommodations are very comfortable and the meals are delicious. There is lots of wildlife and it is a great spot to experience the beauty of the Arctic.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Gulf Islands
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Having already travelled coast to coast and into the High Arctic, there was a hole in the middle of Canada that we had missed: the NWT Barrens. The chance to see and photograph caribou and maybe wolves and grizzle bears was an added lure. The opportunity to catch monster Lake trout was the final straw so off to Point Lake we went. Margaret met us in Yellowknife to make sure we got safely into our hotel in spite of our late arrival and then took us to the floatplane in the morning. 1 1/2 hour later we were warmly welcomed by Chad and his sidekick George. After a tasty lunch we took a hike through the Barrens which has just taken on their red fall colours. Our guide, Chuck, knew the ground as it was not long before 4 bull caribou put in an appearance to be photographed.

The next 3 days were spent catching and releasing Lake trout in the 5 to 20 lb range. Some of the smaller ones were consumed at shore lunches or later in the dining room. Cook Betty had several ways to prepare and serve trout, all delicious. The entire staff went out of their way to make our stay as enjoyable and memorable as possible. Amanda helped answer our zillion questions and George kept the place clean and tidy. For anyone looking for an adventure off the beaten track with friendly and caring staff, Peterson's Point Lodge is the place to go.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hummingbirder
Calgary
Reviewed February 19, 2011

I was lured up to Peterson’s Point Lake Lodge last summer by the prospects of great Fly-fishing for big Lake Trout. Although I have caught my fair share of smaller ones over the years, the 10lb + class have been missing from my fishing logs. Suffice it to say, I couldn’t pass up on this trip.

After a short flight from Calgary, I was met at the Yellowknife airport terminal by the owner, Margaret Peterson. Once the baggage was collected, I was whisked off with another lodge guest on a tour of the city. It was a nice way to pass the afternoon, and at the same time get re-acquainted with Yellowknife. We were dropped off at the hotel with just enough time left in the day to build up some anticipation for our next day’s flight to the lodge.

Bright and early the next morning, we were gathered around a picnic table at the floatplane base pigging-out on a wonderful assortment of fruit, bannock, and other snacks - followed by a toast to the trip for good measure. Before we knew it, we were loaded up and flying north. Point Lake is located in the Taiga Shield Ecozone, a massive area covering approximately 484,000 Square Miles of Canada’s subarctic region. The topography of the area consists of rolling hills dotted with thousands of lakes and ponds carved out by retreating glaciers. And yet, until you fly over the region and see it stretching from horizon to horizon – it is difficult to comprehend just how big it really is.

But before long, Point Lake came into view. It is 71 miles long and averages 2 miles wide – except for smack dab in the middle of the lake where Pointless Island is located. The lodge itself is in a wonderful location – perched above a glacial esker overlooking the lake. The pilots wasted no time in landing, and within minutes we were backed onto the beach unloading our gear. Although we were anxious to go out and test the waters, the lure of some homemade vegetable soup and Curried Moose sandwiches prepared by the cook Betty was to difficult to resist.

After thoroughly stuffing ourselves, we grabbed our gear and headed out by boat to a section of the lake known as the Narrows. Here, the water is squeezed into a curving channel that ultimately empties into Redrock Lake to the north. There is a gradient to the narrows, resulting in a significant current flow. This whole section is ideally suited to fly-fishing with conventional tackle and methods. One can choose to fish either from boat or from shore. In fact the biggest dilemma is usually deciding what fly to use. The predominant forage fish for the Lakers here are Ciscoes, so you can’t go wrong with a Blue & White Deceiver pattern. But it was a bit cloudy that first day, so I tied on a chartreuse and white double bunny streamer. This is one of my favourite patterns for Bull Trout farther south, and they are also a char - so why not? And as if to validate my choice, I was into a nice 10lb Laker within a few minutes of that first cast. This turned out to be just the start, as over the next several days of frenzied fishing, I caught many of his bigger relatives up to twenty-two pounds.

After that first wonderful afternoon, we reluctantly agreed to head back to the lodge for supper. Betty had a snack of homemade chips and salsa waiting for us, and my boat-mate Ernie and I devoured them while head guide and co-owner Chad Peterson BBQ’d up some steaks for the main course. We ate like kings, while sharing the day’s events. This was no small feat given the quantity of food on the table and the volume of stories and bad jokes that had to be told.

After finishing the food and the dishes, we retreated to the study for some more visiting. Somehow time slipped away and before I knew it, it was time to head back to my cabin for the night. It still was quite light out, so I decided to sit out on the screened-in veranda and write down a few notes. After that, I sat for a while longer and just took in the view the lake offered. The next time I looked at my watch, I saw that it was already 12:30am. Since breakfast was at 7:30am, I thought maybe it might be a good time to go to bed!

The last conscious thought I had, is that I still had 6 days of this left of this trip!

But the longer I stayed up north, the more I came to understand that the wonderful fishing is only a small part of the greater overall experience. The daily sightings of Caribou, Wolves, Moose, Barren land Grizzly, and other animals and birds served up against a backdrop of the taiga is something that gets forever burned into your psyche. A trip to this lodge in September when the taiga has exploded into full colour adds a new dimension to an already great experience.

It is also the lodge staff that makes this unforgettable. The banter between long time guest/head-flunky George and Chad had us laughing constantly. Betty kept us fat and happy with her incredible cooking and down-home personality. This is one lodge that has it figured out. Margaret is right on the mark when she says that “People come as guests and leave as friends.”

Sooner or later however, departure day arrives, and you must leave this wonderful place. The day starts off the same as any other, but after breakfast things are a bit more subdued. You take your time packing your gear for the trip home, but eventually the job gets done. And then all that’s left to do is sit at the picnic tables in front of the lodge, waiting for the floatplane to arrive. During this time, you can’t help but reflect on everything that has happened over the past week. You also find yourself thinking about the next time you can sneak away for a northern adventure.

And isn’t that what it’s all about?

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo