Northern Frontier Visitors' Centre - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Northern Frontier Visitor Centre

Very good facility. Very informative with nature and social displays. Easy venue to take your time... read more

Reviewed January 21, 2018
Clark S
Denman Island, Canada
Small and well documented

The staff were nice and ready to advise about the city main attractions as well as the Territory... read more

Reviewed January 13, 2018
Armando L
Vancouver, Canada

See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed May 27, 2017 via mobile

I've heard nothing but good stuff about this visitor centre so imagine my dismay when I arrived on a rainy Saturday (when some advice on things to do would have been most welcome) to discover that the visitor centre has been closed since May 15th. According to the lovely bartender at the NWT Brewery, the centre is damaged and possibly unstable as a result of a quick ice thaw this spring. Hopefully they get the situation assessed and resolved soon.

Date of experience: May 2017
Visityellowknif... I, Public Relations Manager at Northern Frontier Visitors' Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2017

Good Afternoon,

We were indeed closed due to structural damage, but re-opened at a new location (albeit on a much smaller scale) on June 1st. Our current location is the Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre, 4750 48th Street | P.O. Box 1320, Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9.

Our hours of operation are now 10:30 am to 5:00 pm, weekends and weekdays. We are closed on stautory holidays

Reviewed May 25, 2017

I was planning my trip to Yellowknife and spoke several times to the staff at the Visitor's Centre - couldn't have asked for more helpful people. Upon my arrival to Yellowknife I was excited to visit the centre and speak with them all personally and have them help me out with my adventure. What a disappointment to realize they were shut down and was directed to City Hall!!! Really!! Can't imagine how the tour groups & all businesses in Yellowknife feel about this closure - what city doesn't have a Visitor's Centre???? BTW my rating reflects on my phone calls only as I didn't have the opportunity to meet with anyone.

Reviewed May 22, 2017

I arrived in on Sunday afternoon and was able to get to the visitors centre before it closed. The numbers of locally produced and created items is fabulous. They seem to really support the local economy better than other visitor centres that I have been to. Now, it seems as if a portion of the centre is sinking into the adjoining lake, I'm glad I got there before that happened.

They gave me a map of the city, a pin for being a first timer, and some easy to follow information. Upstairs is a taxidermied polar bear and a grizzly that you can touch. The locals are very proud of their history.

Reviewed May 8, 2017

As usual when we visit a new city, we pay a visit to the local visitor centre. The visitor centre in Yellowknife is awesome, as they have lots of exhibits and interesting information about the region (awesome polar bear!). The staff are very friendly and helpful (Thanks Jessica + female colleague whose name we didn't find out). We could refill our water, helped ourselves to some coffee and had a good time in general.

Date of experience: April 2017
1  Thank LucasTJahn
Reviewed May 1, 2017

The Northern Frontier Visitors Center had some great information and friendly, knowledgeable staff. We were helped by Jessica, who gave us really good maps and suggestions on places to pull over to see the aurora on the Ingraham Trail. She also gave us a piece of paper with camera setting tips to capture the aurora - very helpful! For those who are driving, the staff will also offer a parking pass, which is good for 3 days and allows you to park on the street without having to pay for the meter. Last but not least, the visitor center has a nice gift shop, but visitors are also allowed to get a cute Yellowknife souvenir pin for free! Just ask the staff at the center for it.

Date of experience: September 2016