“Love this place!”
Review of Blue Raven B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yellowknife
Blue Raven B&B
Ranked #14 of 23 Yellowknife B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Blue Raven for 6 nights. The place was warm and cozy, and it made us feel just like home. It has a nice fireplace where you can sit by to keep warm while chatting with Tessa and the other guests. Blue Raven is only a stone’s throw from the Great Slave Lake, where we’ve seen one of the most beautiful aurora displays during our stay. Walking to town to do some shopping and sightseeing is only about 25mins away. Cafes are also within close proximity.
Tessa is the most wonderful host whom anyone can ask for. She gave us advice on our aurora hunting trips, taught us methods to keep warm out on the cold frozen lakes and even loaned us warm clothes and boots. Coming from a country where the norm is +30°C, we sure aren’t as well prepared with our winter wear as we thought we were. Tessa made sumptuous breakfast as well, accommodating us on our irregular breakfast schedule.
We are very grateful to Tessa for making us feel like home and helping us in making our trip to Yellowknife into such a wonderful and memorable trip. We’re already missing the place the moment we stepped into the taxi for the airport.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KevinAmras

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed here 4 nights prior to my visit to Blachford Lake Lodge, and 1 night after. The owner, Tessa, is the lovely and gracious wife of Mike, who runs Blachford Lake Lodge. What an awesome team!

I enjoyed the short walk into Old Town, for great shopping, and a few places to eat. The bus to downtown was easy to get. This was a fascinating area, and I'm glad I had time there before and after my trip to the Lodge.

The view from the deck to the frozen Great Slave Lake was magnificent. I took many great bird pictures, and will post just a few.

Tessa is a wonderful cook--please see my pix of all 5 breakfasts. In addition to the main meal, she had yogurt, cereal, jams, coffee and tea, etc. It was great to start each day's adventures with a delicious, hot breakfast--and no preparation or clean up!

Tessa was a wealth of information on the local area, and aurora viewing. She was a really pleasant and engaging person, and I certainly enjoyed my time in her home and in her company. I would recommend The Blue Raven to one and all, except as noted in another review, if you can't go up stairs.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank AmeliaAirheart
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My mom booked us in a loft room for three nights of aurora-hunting and we both loved our stay! Being outside of town was quite nice - there were a few restaurants & shops in walking distance (bundle up in winter!) and less ambient light meant better aurora/star viewing (see photo taken FROM MY LOFT BED). We walked "home" from downtown one afternoon and, though it took a while, popping into shops along the way was fun and warmed us up.

We loved the homey feel - hanging out in the living room in the evening with the fireplace, enjoy the view of Great Slave Lake, watch the ravens eat the food left out on the deck, chatting with our interesting fellow guests.

Tessa helped with touring recommendations and made wonderful breakfasts each morning. I particularly liked her "sustainability" mindset (shopping at the local coop, composting, asking guests to conserve water since it has to be trucked up the hill to the house, etc.). We felt very at home in her B&B and would recommend staying here to anyone except for those who can't walk up stairs/hills.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Martrese
Reviewed February 13, 2013

What a wonderful place to stay. We just spent three nights there(Feb8-11) and couldn't have been more pleased. The view from the living room of Great Slave Lake was spectacular. It was nice to have a "home" to come back to after various winter activities. The breakfasts were varied and delicious. We even had a great view of the aurora fom our rear window. Thanks, Tessa, for the loan of your boots. They were certainly much warmer than the ones I brought.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We're a family of 3 and stayed there for almost 1 week.
We were stunned by the tasteful way that Tessa decorated her house, with souvenirs and arts collected in her entire life living among the Northern community. Discovering all the stories and the culture behind her souvenirs was amazing and added something of magic to our trip, it was a plus that we would never imagine.
Tessa is the sweetest hostess we’ve met ever. She knows the region very well and gave us great tips about things to do, specially places to see the aurora less than 3 minutes away.
The rooms are small but have very confortable beds. From the porch you have a wonderful view of the bay, and it’s also possible to see auroras from there, despite a little light pollution. It is also great for sunsets views.
This B&B is located in the old town about 20 minutes walking from downtown, which was perfect to us for the tranquility and for the nearness of the Great Slave Lake.
If necessary, there’s a bus line serving to downtown.
There’s a restriction for use of water not only in this B&B, but the whole old town due to the water distribution system, so guests are reminded to take short showers, which we did accordingly as it was not a big deal for us.
The delicious breakfast is prepared by Tessa at the time scheduled by us previously, and it’s served in nice porcelain made by herself. When it was necessary to have breakfast later than scheduled, we just had to advise her the night before.
All her attention to guests and the ambiance made us feel at home.
The price was very reasonable, not different of what we use to pay in other cities. I would not only recommend, but also come back with my family and stay longer.

Room Tip: Just a few rooms, book early!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ErikaB_Canada
BlueRaven37, Owner at Blue Raven B&B, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Thanks so much for your kind words. It's so wonderful to share our love of the North with the guests we meet at the B&B. And when they enjoy it, nothing pleases us more !

Reviewed October 19, 2012

My daughter and I stayed there for 5 days during our aurora hunting trip. Not much privacy as the owner is always around, even slept in the room next to ours with her door open all 5 nights.,,,very creepy. The rooms are very,very small with no TV. and showers were restricted to 5 min because of water issues in that part of town. and internet access was limited to emails.
Tessa did go to the trouble of making super breakfasts...I felt badly because after going to bed around 5am there was no way I was getting up at 10 to eat anything, she was quite offended when I said I did not want breakfast.
This bed and breakfast would have been ok for a couple of days but for longer stays I would go to a hotel where there is more privacy.

Room Tip: There is no room service or pool.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sil007
BlueRaven37, Owner at Blue Raven B&B, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

We are pleased to share our simple, honest, home-stay style atmosphere with guests at our B&B. Perhaps you were ill-informed because, as you point out – there is no room service; nor is there a pool, not in any hotel in Yellowknife .

Internet is freely provided for emails, surfing + skype, otherwise I ask that guests not stream movies from the internet as it is so expensive and I want to keep costs down. And we do ask guests to be mindful of water restrictions in the Old Town as we are on trucked water delivery.

I always try to accommodate guests, many of which are up all night to see aurora, so be it 7am or noon, we can discuss an appropriate time for breakfast.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My friend and I stayed at Blue Raven B&B for 3 nights. It’s a comfortable, cozy house with tasteful art and photo collection everywhere. Tessa, the hostess who always wears a welcoming smile, gave us the privacy but was always there when we needed to ask for information. Blue Raven is located in the old town overlooking the Yellowknife Bay. The neighborhood is scenic, quiet and safe (they even do not lock the front door). Tessa told us that it is possible to view active aurora right on the porch due to the low light pollution. And she did take some amazing aurora pictures in front of the house. And how could I not say something about the yummy breakfast. We requested high fiber, low fat, low sugar breakfast via email beforehand, and we were treated with fruit juice, whole grain bread, perfectly pouched eggs, homemade granola, crispy bacon, fresh fruits, yogurt, arctic char and even edible flower (poor pretty thing), on top of a variety of jam, butter, peanut butter, coffee and tea. The best part is that we could request to have breakfast at 11 am after staying up all night for aurora viewing. Yellowknife is expensive. Considering the comfortable accommodation and hearty breakfast, Blue Raven B&B is a steal.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank fatmuimui

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We have a passion for the North and its beauty so we try to help others experience that as well. Yes we do live in a quiet + safe neighbourhood but (and I smile) we never-the-less have a policy of locking the door and providing guests with keys.