Quality Inn & Suites Yellowknife
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Explorer Hotel(Yellowknife)
Coast Fraser Tower(Yellowknife)
View Hotel
All reviewscentral locationclean hotelattached mallkey cardwould stay againcomfortable roomaurora borealisnorthern lightssmall fridge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 19, 2013

If you are staying in Yellowknife in the middle of winter this is definitely the place to stay (at below 40 bit hard to explore). It is attached to a small mall which is very useful when you can't go out for a walk - it had a nice little coffee shop. The hotel had a few pros and cons. The pros - clean room, comfortable bed.I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. The cons - one day there was no hot water - definitely not good in the arctic winter. One light didn't work and the room was pretty small.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank ozmaur
Scott S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Yellowknife, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Hello

Thank you very much for staying at The Yellowknife Inn. I am happy to hear that you had a positive experience with our Associates.

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that the lack of hot water may have caused you during your stay. We did experience some boiler issues during your stay, but these issues have since been corrected.

We hope to see you again. Have a fantastic day.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

It's not the best hotel and we were given a room with smoking smell even though we requested non-smoking room. But it's clean and located right in downtown. Local tours will come pick you up for sure and only 10 minutes away from airport (free shuttle pickup and drop off). Heater was overly hot, so we had to open up the window even though it was -30 degree! And the bed was way too soft in my opinion. Don't expect great customer service here as they somehow don't smile much! Bus stop right outside of hotel and there are a few restaurants to choose from inside the same building.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I've stayed at the Yellowknife Inn several times in the past but it is not my first choice. The location is one of the best if you are attending to business in the downtown area. I always forget how chilly and windy Yellowknife is, so I prefer the shorter walk from the YK Inn than the Explorer Hotel. It's also conveniently located within easy walking distance to restaurants.

The rooms are clean and renovated. The bed was comfortable, and there is a mini fridge in the room. I had lots of towels every day.

I found there was a fairly large gap at the bottom of my room door, so I stuffed a towel on the floor each night to block some of the light and noise. I would highly recommend taking ear plugs and an eyshade. My room was located almost directly above the A&W and I found it exceptionally noisy. There were delivery trucks backing up each morning at 6am. That, combined with the rather noisy guests returning from the lounge at 130am, led to a less than restful sleep. I was at the hotel for 5 nights and every day it was exactly the same.

The wifi is free. I wasn't able to access any videos, but everything else worked just fine.

The restaurant across the hall in the mall is affiliated with the hotel. We ate breakfast here each morning and were shocked on our second to last day to be told that we could no longer charge to our rooms, and that we had to go to the cash area to get our bill. It was a rather abrupt and unexpected change from the previous four days. Eventually, we were able to charge our breakfasts, but I found the exchange quite unfavourable and rude.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank PrincessGolden
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I'd say this is a typical, downtown Yellowknife type of hotel. It's Motel 6 quality, but provided us a comfortable night's sleep.

Our room had a refrigerator and microwave. There's no air conditioning, just a wall-mounted fan. The lobby is small, but nice and the staff was helpful.

Downtown is not a great neighborhood. The hotel's elevators only work after inserting your room key - a good security measure, I'd say. On the streets, we saw two domestic disputes during our visit and several questionable characters as we walked around.

I've heard the Explorer Hotel is much nicer, but it was booked.

Room Tip: Our 4th floor room overlooked Franklin and was quiet except for a little traffic noise. This side of the hotel might be better than the side overlooking the saloons.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is my second favourite hotel to the Explorer in Yellowknife. The rooms are all updated which is really important for me. The room is comfortable and quiet. The location is central. I've stayed here before and I would stay here again.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business