“The good, the bad, and the ugly”
Review of Explorer Hotel

Explorer Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Ottawa
“The good, the bad, and the ugly”
Reviewed October 7, 2009

The Good: the accommodations at the Explorer are very clean and comfortable - much like average to good hotels in the south. Compared to other hotels in Yellowknife it really is top notch.

The Bad: the front counter service is very cold and impersonal; don't expect to see a friendly face when you check in after a long day of travel.

The Ugly: A drunk man hanging out in the lobby harassing and intimidating me had to be the worst hotel experience I've ever had. What's worse is the front desk really didn't seem all that concerned. It's worth saying that this incident happened only minutes after a different drunk man was kicked out. All this before 7pm!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed October 6, 2009

I arranged a week-long conference held at the Explorer. The management were professional and pleasant.

I found the bedrooms great - clean, modern and fully equipped. The staff however were a real mix - one woman was truly sullen! Other front desk staff were polite and helpful. Apparently, there is a problem hiring service staff in town as better-paying jobs can be found at the mines.

The conference rooms were fine - good size for our various groups, well-equipped. I appreciated that we could regulate the heat in the smaller rooms to accomodate larger or smaller crowds.

The food was consistently good - average quality but really large servings. This was the same whether we ate in the bar, the restaurant or through their catering service. The prices were the same or better than in town - Yellowkife is an expensive place!

I will say that they need to upgrade their business centre (two small rooms with computer and printer - one of which was out of service for part of our stay) and exercise room (smelly and small!)

Colleagues from other NOrthern towns say that the Explorer is luxery hotel for the North. As someone from the South, it was just a fine hotel - not over the top. I would go back!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
calgary
Reviewed July 26, 2009

I booked the Explorer on the 1 800 line and when arrived, they said there was no reservation. I called the 1 800 # and was told they mistakenly booked me into the Frobisher in Iqaluit. This is an understandable mistake but the staff at the Explorer saw this as my fault and would do nothing for me- they were full- and all they would do is sell me the most expensive room after 11 PM- and the desk clerk was arrogant and haughty. Locals advised me they call the "Explorer" the "Exploiter" and people at a convention there indicated that staff was frequently wrong in directing them to conference rooms, and then as equally rude to them as they were to me. The many positive reviews may be valid, but this hotel is not the place to correct a misunderstanding. My relationship with hotel is very, very over and I will spend my dollar at Coast from here on in.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Hacksaw30
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed July 22, 2009

I recently attended the weeklong International Congress for Circumpolar Health in Yellowknife. We travled all day, from the southern part of the U.S. to the northern part of Canada. When we arrived at the hotel where we had reservations, we were informed that we did not have reservations. When we showed them the confirmation code, they said it wasn't their code. Furthermore, they had no other rooms, and neither did the 5 or so places they called on our behalf. Not sure what to do (sleep in the rental car?), we went to The Explorer Hotel to wait for colleague's arrival, hoping we could sleep on her floor. We stopped at the front desk to share our sad story, and they were so wonderful and helpful and concerned. They were able to secure us something temporary for the night, and then to move us around to other rooms as they could throughout the week. We really appreciated them going above and beyond the call of duty to help us out. Sylia, Amber, Kellie - thank you!! And Sally (the bartender), thank you!!

The rooms we stayed in were large and spacious (although another colleague's room was quite small.) Beds were comfy, rooms were clean. Towels were a little threadbare (one actually tore from my dragging it across my back!) The restaurant and bar were both good. Workout room small and the main piece of cross training equipment was out of order. The location was good, and we jogged around Niven and Frame lakes on several days. Free internet access and computers in two small offices on the main floor (which were almost always occupied).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night in June. It was an okay hotel (a standard hotel) but just like other hotels in Yellowknife, was very expensive. I was not very impressed with the hotel because there was a really bad small on the floor I was on (3) which other people told me is always there.When I complained of the smell the staff did move me to another room on the same floor (but unfortunately it stank too...). Also the toilets didnt flush properly which was a bit strange.
The good points were:
It is walking distance from the downtown of Yellowknife, and the room did have a nice view of the midnight sun. It was also pretty quiet.
The restaurant was nice (interesting menu at decent prices).
If you're going for business- stay here, if not find somewhere cheaper!

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Nunavut
Reviewed June 19, 2009

I stayed here twice in the winter of 2008. Service at checking and check out were smooth. I think it had been recently renovated.

Rooms were clean and spacious for a studio both times. I was in a non-smoking room which was on a non-smoking floor and I'll say it was a true non-smoking room with no scent of smoke. A colleague was in a smoking room, the smoking room as you can imagine reeked of stale smoke.

The restaurant in the Explorer offers one of the better breakfast brunches in town so if you don't want to wait too long on the weekend, reserve a table early. There was a Shoppers Drugmart close by, but no other stores in the immediate vicinity or other restaurants. But if you don't mind walking a few blocks there is a mall and numerous restaurants.

I'd stay at the Explorer again. The Super 8 is nice too, with wal-mart and Tim Hortons right outside the entrance but the rooms aren't as nice as the Explorer.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed June 22, 2008

First time at Yellowknife and as we were staying during the Arctic Winter Games, most of the accomodation was booked out, we had to book into the "Northern Lites Motel" it was such a dump that i was eager to get on the next plane and leave Yellowknife.
Lucky for us The Explorer Hotel had a room and we quickly transfered.
The Explorer Hotel is lovely, rooms are large and comfy, bed was really comfortable and well heated.
Staff were really nice, and I'd advise to have dinner at the hotel. The prime rib dinner was scrumptious and great value!
I would highly recommend this hotel and wouldnt stay anywhere else.

• Liked — clean and comfy
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple