“Very poor”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
calgary
“Very poor”
Reviewed July 26, 2009

I booked the Explorer on the 1 800 line and when arrived, they said there was no reservation. I called the 1 800 # and was told they mistakenly booked me into the Frobisher in Iqaluit. This is an understandable mistake but the staff at the Explorer saw this as my fault and would do nothing for me- they were full- and all they would do is sell me the most expensive room after 11 PM- and the desk clerk was arrogant and haughty. Locals advised me they call the "Explorer" the "Exploiter" and people at a convention there indicated that staff was frequently wrong in directing them to conference rooms, and then as equally rude to them as they were to me. The many positive reviews may be valid, but this hotel is not the place to correct a misunderstanding. My relationship with hotel is very, very over and I will spend my dollar at Coast from here on in.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Hacksaw30

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed July 22, 2009

I recently attended the weeklong International Congress for Circumpolar Health in Yellowknife. We travled all day, from the southern part of the U.S. to the northern part of Canada. When we arrived at the hotel where we had reservations, we were informed that we did not have reservations. When we showed them the confirmation code, they said it wasn't their code. Furthermore, they had no other rooms, and neither did the 5 or so places they called on our behalf. Not sure what to do (sleep in the rental car?), we went to The Explorer Hotel to wait for colleague's arrival, hoping we could sleep on her floor. We stopped at the front desk to share our sad story, and they were so wonderful and helpful and concerned. They were able to secure us something temporary for the night, and then to move us around to other rooms as they could throughout the week. We really appreciated them going above and beyond the call of duty to help us out. Sylia, Amber, Kellie - thank you!! And Sally (the bartender), thank you!!

The rooms we stayed in were large and spacious (although another colleague's room was quite small.) Beds were comfy, rooms were clean. Towels were a little threadbare (one actually tore from my dragging it across my back!) The restaurant and bar were both good. Workout room small and the main piece of cross training equipment was out of order. The location was good, and we jogged around Niven and Frame lakes on several days. Free internet access and computers in two small offices on the main floor (which were almost always occupied).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night in June. It was an okay hotel (a standard hotel) but just like other hotels in Yellowknife, was very expensive. I was not very impressed with the hotel because there was a really bad small on the floor I was on (3) which other people told me is always there.When I complained of the smell the staff did move me to another room on the same floor (but unfortunately it stank too...). Also the toilets didnt flush properly which was a bit strange.
The good points were:
It is walking distance from the downtown of Yellowknife, and the room did have a nice view of the midnight sun. It was also pretty quiet.
The restaurant was nice (interesting menu at decent prices).
If you're going for business- stay here, if not find somewhere cheaper!

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Nunavut
Reviewed June 19, 2009

I stayed here twice in the winter of 2008. Service at checking and check out were smooth. I think it had been recently renovated.

Rooms were clean and spacious for a studio both times. I was in a non-smoking room which was on a non-smoking floor and I'll say it was a true non-smoking room with no scent of smoke. A colleague was in a smoking room, the smoking room as you can imagine reeked of stale smoke.

The restaurant in the Explorer offers one of the better breakfast brunches in town so if you don't want to wait too long on the weekend, reserve a table early. There was a Shoppers Drugmart close by, but no other stores in the immediate vicinity or other restaurants. But if you don't mind walking a few blocks there is a mall and numerous restaurants.

I'd stay at the Explorer again. The Super 8 is nice too, with wal-mart and Tim Hortons right outside the entrance but the rooms aren't as nice as the Explorer.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed June 22, 2008

First time at Yellowknife and as we were staying during the Arctic Winter Games, most of the accomodation was booked out, we had to book into the "Northern Lites Motel" it was such a dump that i was eager to get on the next plane and leave Yellowknife.
Lucky for us The Explorer Hotel had a room and we quickly transfered.
The Explorer Hotel is lovely, rooms are large and comfy, bed was really comfortable and well heated.
Staff were really nice, and I'd advise to have dinner at the hotel. The prime rib dinner was scrumptious and great value!
I would highly recommend this hotel and wouldnt stay anywhere else.

• Liked — clean and comfy
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed June 20, 2008

Large rooms with comfortable beds and dark curtains to block out the sun. The bathrooms haven't been updated in a while but the excellent water pressure makes up for that!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 27, 2008

I was in Yellowknife for a week, then up at one of the mines for a week, then back again for another week.

The Explorer Hotel is probably your best option for hotels in Yellowknife, and I agree with pretty much everything that BeverlyCanada says - except that...
1) There is now adequate sidewalk access to the street and
2) About half the rooms have been renovated. If you are lucky to get one of these they are very nice (huge beds, brand new fittings, etc.)

Either way the rooms are clean, big, well fitted out, comfortable, nice views etc.

I do have some gripes though.
1) There doesn't seem to be much communication between front desk, management and housekeeping (I'll give an example in a minute)
2) Laundry. While we were up at the mine, the laundry service they outsourced to closed down. So my boss and I rocked up one day in the third week at the front desk with Laundry and they said "We don't do a Laundry service anymore - we got a notice at the front desk from management about it - housekeeping should have taken the bags and forms out of your room". They said "there is another laundry on the other side of town" so pretty much meaning deal with it yourself mate, we're not going to do anything about it. Now, we have to make the most of our time here (because we are on client's time) so we don't really have time to waste half a day doing our laundry. I was lucky and did some laundry while up at the mine, but my boss didn't and had to get something done. So he rang around and found out that there was another serviced laundry in town that "thought" they might have had a deal with Explorer (again, no communication), so he had to basically organise Explorer's new Laundry service - to get his clothes picked up in the morning etc. like the old service did.
3) Breakfast at the restaurant is OK (good sized buffet etc.), but the other meals are very average and you are better off going to the bar (they have a separate menu) or one of the many other restaurants in Yellowknife (The Office, Diamante's, WildCat Cafe, Bullock's, or even the Black Knight pub). The restaurant has changed management in the last year or so and call themselves a steakhouse now - but for a steakhouse the steak wasn't that good.
4) Housekeeping. On the only Saturday I stayed at Explorer I slept in a little bit. Housekeeping came around at about 8:15am, and knocked on the door and came straight in without waiting for a reply! If they had come about 15 minutes earlier I would have been stark naked just getting out of the shower! I told the front desk about it and they said they will mention it to the housekeeping manager, and also gave me her number to leave a message. But what kind of housekeeping comes around with vacuum cleaners and things at 8:00 on a Saturday?!?!

But overall a pleasant experience once the kinks were sorted out.

• Liked — Room conditions and views
  • Disliked — Having to organise my own laundry service
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)