“Very nice, Very expensive” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Explorer Hotel

Explorer Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Millbrook, Canada
“Very nice, Very expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I think we chose the one week of really bad weather YK got all summer. We arrived on our motorcycles soaking wet, cold and miserable and all we wanted was a hot shower. We did not realize just how expensive this place was. Even the hamburger, while good, thinned my wallet.
The room was top notch with many nice touches but my friend and I moved to another hotel just because of the cost. Front desk service was very good while registering and when asking for general info. Bear in mind that most items in YK cost more than south of 60. I'm sure you have got the message. This is not a place to get a bargain but for quality I do recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Explorer Hotel. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your review . We look forward to welcoming you back to the Explorer Hotel in the near future. Regards The Explorer Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Québec, Qc, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

The hotel as a good look. You have a good view of the region from probably all the rooms. I was there for 2 nights. The bathroom could have been cleaner. The room was big enough with desk to work (not in my previous hotel in this city), flat screen, etc... it's a good confortable hotel room. The restaurant in the hotel is probably one of the best in the city: good food, good ambiance, good people. There is a free shuttle to the airport.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank salutzo
Thank you for staying with us at the Explorer Hotel. It is with comments like yours that help us drive to exceed your expectations in comfort, cleanliness and service.

Thank you again for your comments.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Without doubt if you are staying at Yellowknife, this is going to be your best option. Lots of mining related people were checking in and out while we were there, and I'm sure with their regular visits here they would have worked out if there was someone else better! The rooms themselves were nice, though I do recommend making sure you are away from the lifts. Our first room had the constant whirring sound of lifts being hoisted up and down, but as soon as we raised this with reception, they gave us a new room which was perfectly quiet.

The town itself is pretty basic so the nice hotel was quite a contrast. The food in the restaurant had its moments, with the beef ravioli being a highlight, but overall this is in a place you would come to for a culinary experience. The rooms were clean, service was good and friendly, and there was ample parking. Recommended.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for your recent visit and review. We certainly appreciate your comments and praise. We look forward to seeing you again sometime!
Regards

Whati
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

When I'm traveling. I prefer to stay at the explorer hotel, nice accommodation and the rooms are great and clean, overall I didn't like the old tube television which was a bummer because we couldn't see much of anything, but I do like to come back and to look forward to seeing the upgraded on television.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. It sounds like you had a great stay and we look forward to your next visit, new 42 " TV's will be here. Until next time,

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

After spending two nights at the Days Inn, this was a welcome change. The beds are pillow top and VERY comfortable. The pillows are fat and soft. My only complaints are, I had the smallest room on the floor - stay away from the rooms ending in 10 - they are TINY. I felt ripped off by this.

I found garbage between the chair and the wall (not behind the chair, to the side where it was angled into a corner). Not impressed with that and it drops my cleanliness rating by one because otherwise the room was clean. The bathroom has a great shower - lots of water and a nice shower head that gives a great spray. Towels are fat and rough - just how I love them.

Rooms are quiet. Can't hear a thing from other rooms, however the self closing doors are LOUD and you can hear everyone on the floor close their doors.

Room service was horrible. I ordered the chicken skeweres. They were NOTHING like described - no pineapple, no red onion. The chicken was underdone and I felt ill after.

Friendly staff and a nice lounge.

I can't comment on value as I wasn't paying so have no idea what the room cost.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms ending in 10. They are TINY! Look at the map on the back of the room door...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments. It is always nice to hear nice reviews from our guests regarding our staff! We are very sorry however, to hear that we did not meet your expectations concerning the Chicken Skewers . The pineapple and red onions are together in a homemade Pickle Relish.

We hope your travels bring you back to Yellowknife again. Until then, Karl H Schaefers
Nice, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Very comfortable, well located and a good restaurant and bar. The Restaurant has an interesting layout, with two decks and an open fire (the fire is gas so it isn't full of smoke, but they ought to hide the gas pipe better to make it look more authentic) On the menu is clam chowder, Musk Ox and Arctic Char. All delicious and well served by friendly staff. Nice bar, cosy and relaxed but only 1 member of staff during 'Happy Hour' and she was barmaid and waitress, is that deliberate? Waiting to get served was very frustrating. Rooms are very comfortable and there is plenty of car parking.

Room Tip: Good views on higher floors, but the back view is better.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Customer, we are thrilled to hear that you had a great time while visiting Yellowknife. It was apleasure accomodating you and we will share your comments with Angela in regards to the bar service.
Greetings from Yellowknife
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed in this hotel during a business trip and definitely can only say good things about this hotel. The check-in was fast and all the staff including cleaners were all very friendly. The room was clean and in good shape, and I didn't hear a sound from neighbouring rooms which is usually my biggest problem in other hotels, but here it was no problem at all. The restaurant that belongs to the hotel is also really good, and they have a nice breakfast menu. I would stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: I can definitely recommend the top floor, it was as quiet as it gets.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Karl S, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you! We were absolutely delighted to read your review of your stay at the Explorer Hotel. We take pride in our hotel and we're happy you enjoyed every aspect of your visit with us.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Until next time,