“Needs some upgrades”
Review of Explorer Hotel

Explorer Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I wrote a previous review of this hotel about a year ago and I thought I needed to revise it but in re-reading I realize that in fact nothing has really changed. The fundamental problem with this hotel is related to the design and the HVAC system. And no you can't open the windows if your room is a sauna (as mine has been).

If you are in a room next to an elevator the low frequency hum generated each time the elevator moves, will drive you nuts.

Some rooms are too hot and others too cold. In reading previous reviews I note similar complaints - it seems the managers can't or wont fix the HVAC so that guests can actually regulate the temperature of the room. Its also EXTREMELY dry in this hotel. I know YK can be dry but that's why humidifiers were invented.

Front desk staff in the hotel are consistently underwhelming, somewhere along the lines of a Motor Vehicles registry. They get the job done but dont seem to take much pleasure in it. On the other hand, the cleaning staff always have a smile. Oh and Jennifer in the bar is another exception. New menu is an improvement but I would still prefer to not eat on the property if I can avoid it.

One thing I really noticed the last few times I stayed is that the bedspreads are very worn out and frankly its getting kind of disgusting. They'd be better to get duvets with covers that can be washed with each guest turnover.

So you ask why do I keep going back; the Coast Fraser Tower (best in the city in my opinion) is frequently sold out, and the Yellowknife Inn, the only other decent downtown hotel, offers much smaller rooms, is often loud at all hours of the day and night, and smells like fried food.

So here's hoping the Explorer sees fit to invest in better HVAC, soundproofing for elevator adjacent rooms and new bedding. Do it soon before your reputation takes too many more hits.

2  Thank spuzzum72
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Good afternoon spuzzum72,

I would like to thank you for your review and frequent patronage. I do apologize for your experience with our HVAC system. We are working on some modifications to the system, so please be assured that this is an issue that is high on our priority list. I also apologize for your front desk experience. This is clearly not the imagine we strive for. We recoginize that our front desk associates are often the first and last impression upon our guests. This concern has not fallen on deaf ears and the departmental manager is handling your feedback accordingly. I am pleased to tell you that we are currently in the process of changing our guest room duvets to a solid while concept and we hope to have this project completed by the end of the year this year. In closing, we recognize that you have other accomodation options when travelling to Yellowknife. With that, we appreciate being that hotel choice and I will also be more than happy to look after your reservation needs personally if you like to ensure your room placement fits your personal preference.

Best regards,

Jamie Bolduc
800.661.0892
gm@explorerhotel.ca

Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Explorer is the best hotel in town, but it is a frontier town, don't expect the Ritz! Great dining room and nice lounge. Food was good. Rooms are solid and views outstanding. Temps can vary and you really never know what or who to expect.

• Stayed: September 2012
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Good evening davedrew,

Thank you for your visit and review! I am glad to hear that we exceeded your expectation. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I spent 2 nights and booked a Junior Suite for a little more with a lake view. I was told it is much better than the standard rooms. The bathroom tiles could have been cleaner and the bath tap was wobbly. There was one herbal tea on the first night but this was not replaced but housekeeping brought several with a smile. The wireless Internet was very slow and barely registered in the rooms. It works well in the restaurant. Take your own shampoo and conditioner as the quality of the shampoo/conditioner is poor. I would have given the hotel 2 stars for the price except for the excellent food in the restaurant and friendly staff.

Room Tip: Junior suite facing lake.

Dear JanfromCanada,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. We do appreciate all feedback we receive. I am sorry to hear of the shortcomings you have mentioned, but I am glad to hear that we were able to get you more tea, thus 'making it right'. Ironically enough, we have recently done some work on our guest internet solution to improve speed and connectivity issues, and so far it is working much better. As a side note/request, if you could be so kind as to e-mail me the room number you were in, I will personally ensure the 'wobbly' bath tap is fixed for the next guest (gm@explorerhotel.ca)

Cheers,

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed in this hotel as part of a conference. On the whole it was a great stay and I would certainly return. The view from the room was amazing and it looks as though most of the rooms have a view. The restaurant was fabulous and I had the chance to visit a few times. It is getting cold in Yellowknife, so I didn't have to venture out too far, as the hotel had all that I needed.

Dear JohnSSS910,

I would like to thank you for your visit and great review. Yes we are very proud of our guest room view. I am also happy to hear that you got to enjoy a few dining experiences with us. I do certainly hope that you get a chance to visit us again, and although Yellowknife is getting cold, it certainly has plenty to offer those that want to venture out this time of year.

Best regards and we look forward to being your hotel of choice when in Yellowknife!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Explorer Hotel this last week. As a business traveler i was impressed with both the rooms and services. The staff was very courtious and friendly.I would deifnatly recommend this hotel for anyone travelling into Yellownife.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Good morning JDaniel28,

I would like to thank you for your recent visit and wonderful review. We look forward to hosting you again when you return to Yellowknife.

Cheers,

Reviewed October 3, 2012

The hotel is in very good shape clean room very good food though the severs think they are doing a service to guest free of charge. The worst is the stay too hot or too cold.I had too to call the the desk. i was told manager is coming to fix. didnt happen then i was told by front desk clerk maint dosent work after 4pm they have called the manager he's coming but never came.When i called back i felt the fustaration front desk clerk informs me the maint manger cannot be reach.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Good afternoon: mad r,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. I apologize for the issues with the temperature controls in your room. This is certainly not representative of the experience we want our our guests to have. Although we may not have had a maintenance person after 4pm, we certainly do have a maintenance person on call to answer such requests. With that, I apologize that there was a communication breakdown in handling this. I do hope that this experience did not tarnish your time in Yellowknife too much.

Best regards,

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was planning on staying there for two weeks. Checked out as soon as I could find another hotel. The service was horrible and very snotty. The room seemed like it had never been dusted. The carpet was dirty as though it hadnt been vacuumed in between customers. The fridge was filthy inside and there were hairs all over the bathroom and in the sheets. When I informed the front desk that my towel rack was hanging off the wall, nothing was done about it. And to top it off I was charged $7 for making local calls which is not posted anywhere, and I was not informed when I checked in. All in all it is not worth what u pay for. I wouldn't stay there again even if it was free.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Curt0032
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Dear Curt0032,

I would like to thank you for your comments and I apologize for your experience. I will say that I am taken back by your comments, as they are certainly not consistent with the experience of other reviewers. Nevertheless, I am glad that you were able to enjoy the property that you left us for. With regard to us charging for local calls this is something that is listed in our in-room guest room directories. I would be happy to discuss your stay further if you like. Should you choose please feel free to contact me toll free 800.661.0892 or via e-mail gm@explorerhotel.ca

I apologize again and have a great weekend!