Explorer Hotel
$139
$95
$145
TripAdvisor
All reviewsroom serviceprince of walesin towncomfortable hotelnorthern heritage centrefront desk staffshoppers drug martvisitor centerpolar beararctic charexcellent hotelfree airport shuttleplace to staywould definitely stay here againframe lakerooms are cleannorthern lights
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The hotel is in very good shape clean room very good food though the severs think they are doing a service to guest free of charge. The worst is the stay too hot or too cold.I had too to call the the desk. i was told manager is coming to fix. didnt happen then i was told by front desk clerk maint dosent work after 4pm they have called the manager he's coming but never came.When i called back i felt the fustaration front desk clerk informs me the maint manger cannot be reach.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Good afternoon: mad r,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. I apologize for the issues with the temperature controls in your room. This is certainly not representative of the experience we want our our guests to have. Although we may not have had a maintenance person after 4pm, we certainly do have a maintenance person on call to answer such requests. With that, I apologize that there was a communication breakdown in handling this. I do hope that this experience did not tarnish your time in Yellowknife too much.

Best regards,

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was planning on staying there for two weeks. Checked out as soon as I could find another hotel. The service was horrible and very snotty. The room seemed like it had never been dusted. The carpet was dirty as though it hadnt been vacuumed in between customers. The fridge was filthy inside and there were hairs all over the bathroom and in the sheets. When I informed the front desk that my towel rack was hanging off the wall, nothing was done about it. And to top it off I was charged $7 for making local calls which is not posted anywhere, and I was not informed when I checked in. All in all it is not worth what u pay for. I wouldn't stay there again even if it was free.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Curt0032
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Dear Curt0032,

I would like to thank you for your comments and I apologize for your experience. I will say that I am taken back by your comments, as they are certainly not consistent with the experience of other reviewers. Nevertheless, I am glad that you were able to enjoy the property that you left us for. With regard to us charging for local calls this is something that is listed in our in-room guest room directories. I would be happy to discuss your stay further if you like. Should you choose please feel free to contact me toll free 800.661.0892 or via e-mail gm@explorerhotel.ca

I apologize again and have a great weekend!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I've stayed at about 7 different hotels in this city, and this is my favourite. It's higher class and feels newer than the other hotels around and the rooms are nice and comfortable. I only had one issue once where my suite was next to the elevator and I could hear all the beeping and humming, so I asked to be moved to a different room. They only had smaller rooms available but I didn't mind. Their standard rooms are nice. The room had the most beautiful view of the lake. I keep coming back to this hotel. The staff are very accommodating and kind.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Good morning Lei L,

I would like to thank you for your visit with us and your wonderful review. We are certainly proud of what we have here and I am gald to hear that we were able to help with the one issue you did have. We look forward to elcoming you on your next visit. have a wonderful weekend!

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Comfortable room but dated though, Great friendly staff that went above and beyond and were always smiling which made the difference, good restaurant and bar.
Good location across from the tourist center who also had great staff.

Room Tip: Away from the Elevator
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Frigid-Frozen-Aussie
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Good afternoon: Frigid-Frozen-Aussie,

I would like to thank you for your visit and great review! I will be sure to pass along your praise to our staff, as they will certainly appreciate it and work hard for it. IT is our hope to see you again sometime.

All the best,

Reviewed August 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a convention the weekend before Labour Day. Fortunately weather was nice and we got to see an amazingly beautiful and indescribable Aurora Borealis (so don't think you have to go in the middle of subzero arctic weather!). The hotel is conveniently located five minutes from the airport (and airport noise is not a problem). The front lobby, cozy bar and full service restaurant (with scenic view) all have a pleasing northern-style ambience with stone, wood or glass walls. The bar has a nice central fireplace and bar staff were friendly and accommodating. Drinks are on the expensive side but this appears to be the way it is in YK. Food in the restaurant was surprisingly quite good (service was sadly slow - see separate restaurant review). The common areas and our bedroom were clean and nicely decorated. Both sides of the hotel have lake views, however the front of the hotel also faces the parking lot which is across a driveway that divides the hotel and the parking lot. There are 8 floors. We asked for a room on the top floor and ended up on the side away from the parking lot. The view from our large picture window was great. Some of our friends were actually able to see the Aurora Borealis from their rooms. Many ended up downstairs and out the door with their cameras to watch and photograph these beautiful coloured Northern lights right in the parking lot and at the back of the hotel. (On another night, many of us drove about 10 minutes away from the lights of the city to watch a spectacular light show in the sky!). The hotel is within walking distance to a small mall (YK Centre) that has a ladies & girls clothing/shoe store, men's store, a hairdressers, souvenir clothing shop and other shops. There is also a Shopper's Drug Mart close by and you can walk to both downtown and old town from the hotel as well as the Northern Visitor's Centre. Our king bed was comfortable as were the linens and pillows. Our friends had a mini suite which had a small fridge. Bathrooms were clean with a great shower, nice amenities and staff did a good job servicing our room each day. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Yellowknife.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher up floor for the best view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank BahiaDelray
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear BahiaDelray,

Thank you for your recent visit and detailed positive review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. I am so glad to hear that you got some great views of the Aurora Borealis, as the activity over the past few weeks has been exceptional. Thank you again and I hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,