Explorer Hotel
$104
  • Restaurant
$146
$119
Aurora Yellowknife Jenny's(Yellowknife)(Great Value!)
$89
Bayside Bed & Breakfast(Yellowknife)(Great Value!)
$92
Yellow Dog Lodge(Yellowknife)
$539
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsroom serviceprince of walesin towncomfortable hotelnorthern heritage centrefront desk staffshoppers drug martvisitor centerpolar beararctic charexcellent hotelfree airport shuttleplace to staywould definitely stay here againframe lakerooms are cleannorthern lights
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I was at the hotel for a week as part of a large meeting in the city. I had colleagues at all of the various local hotels and the Explorer is the best of the bunch. The walls are a bit on the thin side but I was able to sleep well regardless. My climate control was fine. Great views over the old town and lakes. Yes, service is slow in the restaurant, but this is true everywhere in YK, you just have to account for it and then relax. The food was excellent. The location is very good, nothing is far from the hotel and it is very central. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in YK.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the old town from a higher floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank MDontherun
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Good afternoon,

I would like to thank you for your positive review. It was our pleasure hosting you and your group and we do appreciate being your hotel of choice. It was certainly a busy week for us and I am glad you enjoyed your time with us. Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Yours in hospitality,

Reviewed August 18, 2012

A group of us arrived witth five Harley Davidson motorcycles thinking we would be staying at the best and most secure hotel in town. We were badly mistaken. We asked to park our expensive motorcycles in a secure area near the front entrance, and were told no. They directed us to a gravel parking lot on top of the hill beside the hotel. A couple of hours later we were told all five of our bikes had been deliberately pushed over. Thieves had opened the saddlebags and stolen items that remained in the bikes. Thankfully about the only items left in the bikes were a few bottles of water, sunscreen, and a laundry bag containing dirty underwear and socks. These items were stolen. My new 2012 Harley received over $5,000.00 damage to it. As the evening progressed we noted loiters and vagrants roaming around the property. Hotel staff informed us they like to go to the top of the hill (where we were directed to park) to gather and look down at the town. We noted one vagrant scrounging through the cigarette disposal salvaging cigarette butts. The next day a local resident told us that homeless people were known to tent camp in the trees behind this parking lot. Hotel management would not give us the name of their insurance company. When we asked for a refund of the $550.00 we paid for the rooms, they refused to give us one cent back. Hotel management said they were sorry, but obviously not sorry enough to give us a refund. Bottom line, the hotel was quite happy to keep a fat profit and take no responsibility. I guess it is our tough luck that they are either unwilling or unable to provide a safe and secure environment for their guests. TRAVELER BEWARE STAY AT THIS HOTEL AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank jselBonesteelsd

Good afternoon Sir, I would like to apologize to you and your group again for the unfortunate incident with your group’s valuable motorcycles. I can assure you and our fellow readers that the safety and security of our guests and their property is of the utmost importance to us. I do remain supportive of the direction our staff gave you as to where to park your motorcycles. To be clear, the area you mention outside the hotel’s main entrance is a high traffic fire lane where the parking of vehicles is simply not possible. As you know, a perpetrator with no connection to the hotel was apprehended on hotel property immediately following the incident and we have cooperated fully with the police investigation. In closing, this incident is a police and personal insurance matter and I again welcome you to have your insurer contact ours through the contact information I gave you when you stayed with us.

Best regards,

Jamie Bolduc

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Food is good but service is slow. Bar closes early Staff is friendly and helpful. Gym is small and temperature difficult to regulate in rooms. Rooms are clean and modern. Just about all of Yellowknife closes on Sunday it would be nice if restaurant had better hours of operation.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank PeteLB
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Good afternoon PeteLB,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. I would also like to thank you for you rating us as the 'best place in Yellowknife". That is certainly what we strive for at the Explorer Hotel, so I am glad to hear that we did not disappoint. I do apologize for the slow restaurant service that you encountered. With regard to Sunday, local laws limit our hours of opertaion in F & B outlets where alcohol is served; therefore, our lounge must remain closed. Our restaurant is however open 7 days a week. I look forward to welcoming you again!

Best regards,

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Pluses: Large rooms, centrally located, restaurant has both good food and good layout

Negatives: (1) No A/C. I realize that a hotel in Yellowknife would only need A/C for a small part of the year but I was theer on canada day weekend and room was too warm to sleep in and theer was no way to cool it doen (windows don't open). If you're theer in the summer, make sure to keep blinds closed during teh day because if heat gets in, there is no way for it to get out.

(2) Noise from adjacent rooms travels.. With no ventilation to mask outside noise, sound from hallways and other rooms travels into room. I was woken up at 3 AM (despite wearing earplugs) by my neighbours continuing their party from the bar into their room.Rooms definitely need better sound insulation.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

Dear WarrenL,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. Your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate your comments. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our central location, large rooms and your restaurant experience. I do apologize however, that you had an issue with your in room air conditioning. I also apologize for the noise your experienced in your room. As a point of clarification for our fellow readers, our hotel is fully airconditioned both in room and common spaces. I am sorry that we were unable to correct this for you while you were here. Your point on keeping the blinds closed is a great tip, as our building this time of year gets about 18 hours of direct sunlight each day. To close, as our lounge is closed by 1am, I assume your neighbours were coming from an outside bar. Regardless, we do have 24 hour security and would have been happy to resolve this for you. Our goal is for all of our guests to be comfortable and have a great night's rest.

Best regards and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

This place would be very good even in the south. It's well appointed, clean, quiet and had good service, accommodating of our unique requests. The views are very nice and is only a three block walk to the middle of downtown.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank advisetrip

Good morning advisetrip,

Thank you for your recent visit and great review. We appreciate your patronage and feedback.

Cheers,