“Great food, terrible service!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Canadian, Cafe, European, Delicatessen
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Seating, Takeout
St. John's, Canada
“Great food, terrible service!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Food is excellent, but the customer service is terrible. Staff are rude, make snide remarks and do not treat the customers very well at all. Clearly I am not the only person who feels this way....

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank CB14_87
crusted, Owner at Manna European Bakery & Deli, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to express your concern. We are sorry you had the type of service you describe.

Most of our staff have long service and we would expect more from everyone. We hope the issue you experienced was unique. As owners we, and our senior managers are scheduled so at least one of us is in the store at all times. If the 24th was the date of your poor experience, there should have been several of us available.

We are glad the food was right and hope we will have another chance to show your experience was an unfortunate, but isolated case.

toronto ontario
“It doesn't get better than this”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I just had breakfast, before the rush of fanatically loyal customers jam Manna's for lunch. Breakfast is a serve yourself continental feast for $5.00. Great coffee, fresh fruit, your choice of buns, pastries, muffins and juice. I am hooked and will be going here every time I am in St. John's. The service is exemplary, warm and relaxed. Mind you I was there in between their rush hours, when the place reportedly is jammed to the rafters. But jammed for good reason. I watched the staff make their lunch hour sandwiches, to die for. I also had a good chat with the owner Chris, who when I chose a tasty almond croissant, said," Wait a second, let me get you a fresh one." It was very fresh, mind you the one he set aside was baked that morning in their ovens, fresh enough by most bake shop standards.

I have read the other reviews and found the staff, very friendly and helpful, especially as I did not know that the breakfast was self-serve to start.

• Visited February 2013
Thank hobie.mike
crusted, Owner at Manna European Bakery & Deli, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Mike,

Thanks for the review. It was very kind of you.

As we discussed, we are at our best with regular customers, and fortunately after 30 years we have lots.

We look forward to your future visits.

Chris
“Great Sandwiches”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

My co-workers and I really enjoy lunch at Manna. The breaded chicken breast sandwich on pretzel bun is the best!

Visited September 2012
St. John's, Canada
“Tasty Food but Terrible Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

The sandwiches are about the best you'll find in St. John's. Fresh bread, meats and veggies. What more could you ask for. However, a major downfall is the complete lack of feeling welcomed. It's a hostile envrionment with staff not even cracking a smile and mostly bickering at each other on the two occassions which I visited. The way they spoke to one another was so terrible by the time I returned to work I was still in shock. If the could raise the moral in this place I would rate it as excellent. However, with the combined service and quality its a mere average.

Visited December 2012
4 Thank Blaj32
St. John's, Canada
“Delicious food but extremely long wait”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

I should start by saying I hate line ups especially slow moving line ups! The breaded chicken sandwich on pretzel bread is soooo good that I stand in that slow moving line up. It is one of the best sandwiches I have ever had. The line up however is the definitely the downfall to this bakery/deli.

• Visited September 2012