“Friendly Service, Average Food” 3 of 5 bubbles

Montana's Cookhouse
Ranked #99 of 371 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Canadian, Southwestern
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Texas
“Friendly Service, Average Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I was happy to see a new restaurant in the area (I believe Montana's opened in May, 2012) and it looks spectacular on the inside. Very authentic and warm with a lot of wood and pictures of animals and a few heads (moose, caribou). The seating is comfortable and the wait staff is extremely friendly, helpful and nice. This is a family restaurant so if you're looking for a romantic meal, this is not the place for you.

The food, however, is average at best. I tried to order the brisket but was told it's already smothered in sauce and I didn't want the sauce so that option was out. Why they have the brisket covered in BBQ sauce is a mystery. If brisket is good, it shouldn't need sauce.

So the waitress recommended the special which was sweet chili glaze with an 8 oz sirloin with two skewers of shrimp. I didn't taste the glaze at all. The shrimp was supposed to be grilled but it tasted boiled and lacked flavor. The sirloin was so full of fat that I couldn't eat it. For my sides I had a baked potato (no complaints there) and cole slaw which was very creamy and full of vinegar so I didn't eat it. It also came with thin deep fried onion rings which my spouse and enjoyed.

My spouse had the NY steak sandwich (which cost $14.99) and thought it was just okay but wouldn't recommend it.

Montana's has a great atmosphere but the food won't bring us back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BloatedBelly

“Service was great !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

My grandmother and I had went there for supper. We ordered the app cheese spinach dip which was probably the best I've had . But my main meal the meatloaf was horrible. The chicken fajita was awesome ! The service was wonderful Lindsay checked on us and offered to get me a new meal , and the manager even came over and tried to help. Didn't enjoy my main meal but would go back for the service !

St. John's, Canada
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Went with a big group of people, service was great and despite our large number we were still finished lunch within an hour.

Visited September 2012
La Scie, NL
“Awesome ribs and great service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had really great ribs with a peppercorn sauce and the server was so attentive and helpful. Really pleasant place to eat.

• Visited September 2012
Halifax, Canada
“Special Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We headed out for breakfast, only to find our favorite spot very busy. Just across the parking lot was Montana's. It wasn't busy at 11 am so we gave it a try. The person greeting us said they didn't have a breakfast menu. Luckily the chef was standing nearby and said " you want breakfast, I'll cook you breakfast... anything you'd like!" With a couple of delicious omelets under our belts, along with all the trimmings and good conversation, we were on our way !

• Visited June 2012