“Best Steak in Town”

Basho
Ranked #39 of 373 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cambridge, Canada
“Best Steak in Town”
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Dropped in with the wife for dinner, didn't have a reservation, however, they very kindly managed to squeeze us into a nice corner. The service and atmosphere were both first class. The wine, Peter Lehman Merlot, at $25 for 500ml, was reasonably priced for St. John's. I had the filet mignon, and frankly it was the best steak I have had in Newfoundland these two weeks.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Doug W

Ottawa, Canada
“Worse Dining Experience Ever!”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Basho's came highly recommended by friends from St. John's so we decided to give it a try. We had a large group of 16 so we called ahead for reservations and were assured that they could accommodate our large group. We had to give a credit card number which would be charged $50. per head if we did not show up. As things turned out, this required deposit only added insult to injury.
All of us arrived, on time, at 7:30PM and began ordering drinks, appetizers and our dinners. Things went downhill from there. At 9:30PM, a full two hours later not so much as a bread stick had been served to our group. After some complaining, we finally got our appetizers. After our appis had arrived, the wait began again. We finally asked to see the manager/owner who told us the kitchen had been overwhelmed because they had another large group who apparently did not order sushi, a specialty of Basho's. We were not impressed, surely they know that two large groups were coming in. There is no excuse, clearly the kitchen is poorly organized.
Our mains finally began arriving at 11:15 PM, another one and three/quarter hours wait. By then our pregnant guest and another couple, who could not handle the long wait, left.
Does Basho's offer excellent food? With the long wait, I cannot honestly answer that. The frustration and hunger overtook. After our meals, no dessert was offered nor were we ever asked how our meal was. We were given complimentary appetizers but given the long wait, our group did not feel this was adequate compensation. On this is for certain, this was the worst service I have ever experienced.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Breezy53
St. John's, Canada
“Amazing food and Drinks”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

great sushi, drinks, and menu. Cool atmosphere. A bit pricy but you have to pay for exceptional food. The drink menu is a must try.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Jeff C
Lindsay, Canada
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We chose Basho based on prior reviews and an urgent need for sushi. We were really please. The food was superb... an amuse gueule of candied sweet potato, salmon and tuna tartar (one of each), makis, tempuras... could not have asked a finer meal. Our waitress Ashley was very good and attentive. The host took my child on a tour of the fish tank. The desserts were terrific. We look forward to going again.

• Visited May 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“AMAZING on so many levels”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This restaurant was highly recommended by Yelp, so I was excited about trying it. Upon walking in, I instantly loved the decor! The atmosphere was great. I sat upstairs at the bar where Matt, the bartender, totally planned my meal. I told him I was hungry and he ordered for me! I was not DISAPPOINTED at all! Locals joined me at the bar and shared all kinds of great history and information about the island. This was my favorite meal in St. John's! I had several different dishes as you will see below! The owner is amazing and has a great thing going! Highly recommend this for anyone visiting St. John's.

• Visited May 2014