“Wants to be a restaurant and a bar at the same time”
Review of Portobello's

Portobello's
Ranked #17 of 373 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
“Wants to be a restaurant and a bar at the same time”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I have been to Portobello's twice and have always thought the food was great although both times I found it very expensive. My last visit - dinner for four was $310.00 including a tip and only one person at the table had a drink. So be prepared to pay! My biggest complaint was the noise level - lots of people talking very loudly and some of them were drinking a lot more than they were eating so I think it lost the atmosphere that most high end restaurants strive for. Also adding to the noise was the worst elevator music I have ever heard. With an already loud atmosphere you don't need to throw music in to the mix. The service was very good and our waitress was helpful and friendly. It was enjoyable but I am not sure that I would visit Portobello's a third time.

• Visited June 2014

Edmonton, Canada
“Nice atmosphere and harbour view”
Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

We stopped for lunch here. We had seafood chowder and some scallops. Food was good, with few drinks lunch came to seventy dollars. The service was fine. I would prefer the saltwater resturant if I were to chose. The only thing there was there was no water view.

Visited May 2014
“Great staff and food!”
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went for lunch and the food was delicious, the staff were wonderful and the atmosphere was great and the view was fantastic.

Oakville, Canada
“The view”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

It was not the best food in my life in relation to the price, but met expectations. The service was perfect. Attention to detail, yet had the east coast charm that makes you feel welcome. While not seated right at the window, the view was breathtaking. The entire harbour and a hint of the Atlantic right in front of you. A perfect date night, or when a client needs impressing.

• Visited April 2014
St Johns,
“dissapointed”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We went as a group of 8 and were seated downstairs, the view is wonderfull, overlooking the harbour. Unfortunealty this was the best bit of this visit. I have lived in St John's for over 2 years now and have always wanted to try Portobello's after hearing so many nice things about it. The service was attentive, the decor old fashioned and a little staid. The specials sounded good, but did not work. I had scallops in a nut crust on a herb cracker with a chinese inspired glaze, this just did not work. The salmon was cooked well, but bland. the saving grace was home made desserts, althought the coconut creme brulee had very little coconut in it. the portions were on the large side, considering the price I woul dnot go back.

• Visited April 2014