“Not worth it”

Ranked #15 of 384 Restaurants in St. John's
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went to dinner at Portobellos and were very disappointed. It is a lovely spot with huge windows and a nice view. We were seated quickly, despite the fact that they had no record of my reservation. After we were seated we began to feel ignored. The waitresses were incredibly attentive to the tables around us but not to us. It took forever to get a drink and place out order. When I asked if there was a vegetarian option I was told yes. That's it. It was like pulling teeth but I finally got enough info to know it would be pasta of some kind with some kind of vegetables and a cream sauce of some sort. At a place that charges up to 50 bucks for an entree, I expect better and more knowledgeable service. I felt like she resented the time we were taking up from her better, more important tables. Our appetizer of steak and cheese in a phyllo was unusual and yummy. I settled on chicken Kiev in the end (the pasta was too much of a mystery) and it was yummy, perfectly coated. The pilaf on the side, however, tasted processes, like they got it out if a bag and just added water. My husband said his steak was near perfect but his side vegetables were not cooked well. So they do well on protein but not the rest of the plate. We decided to go elsewhere for dessert because the service was so bad (the younger waitress was quite friendly but she could t make up for her counterpart) so I can't comment on their offerings.
Overall we had a very expensive meal that was partially enjoyable and poor service that eventually drove us away.

1  Thank ttbnf

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Excellent food and service. Nice atmosphere and wonderful views. Have eaten here several times and it is always enjoyable. It will continue to be a regular spot in our dining out experience.

1  Thank Jeweljam1
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My friends had cod..said it was very good..I had steak...BIG MISTAKE..had to be the worst steak I ever had..it was tough, cold, fatty. I don't think I will ever be going back

3  Thank CanadianTripster
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Really nice restaurant - just down the hill from the Sheraton Hotel and well worth the stroll. We ate upstairs in a wonderful table right beside the window with a fabulous view of the Narrows. The food was well prepared and really nice presentation. Staff were attentive and friendly - very pleasant experience. Definitely worth checking out.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We had a table by the window and the view of the harbour is pretty special. The waiter was helpful and cheerful, the food came promptly and was good - the Moroccan lamb, the steak and the carrot and ginger soup were all good. I asked for my lamb rare and that is what I got - and that doesn't happen often. This is not a sensational restaurant, but it is a very good one.

We had a good night out.