“Exceptionally Good Food, lovely service, wonderful atmosphere” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portobello's

Portobello's
Ranked #17 of 371 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Canadian, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Sydney Mines, Canada
“Exceptionally Good Food, lovely service, wonderful atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

I joined 2 business colleagues for dinner at Portobello as we were all staying in St. John's awaiting flights in the morning. We had a selection of starters, I had the crab cakes and they were very good. Everyone enjoyed their starters. However, the special was a blackened cod with a spicy sauce and it was absolutely delicious!! One gent had the traditional cod dinner and another gent had the lamb. They both stated that their meals were delicious as well. We each tried a dessert although we didn't need them. I had the creme Brule and it was a beautiful smooth, rich flavourful.

The host was delightful as he assisted me as I was awaiting my colleagues. The server was attentive but not too intrusive. I loved the whole evening. I didn't pick up the check, but I recall thinking the prices were very reasonable for a restaurant of its caliber.

Portobello is worth a visit - you have lots of choices in St. John's - but if you only have a night, choose Portobello.

• Visited November 2013

St. John's, Canada
“Fine evening at Portobello's”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Wife, daughter (age 15) and I had a fine meal at Portobello's Wednesday October 30th 2013. Friendly reception. Seated at window overlooking working wharf of St John's harbour. House whites - sauvignon blanc and chardonnay acceptable. Wine - Campo Viejo Rioja worked well - corkage about double store price. Starters included soup of the day - roasted cauliflower with smoky paprika drizzle and spicy crab cakes. Both delish. Mains - Brome Lake Duck, Chicken Fradiavlo and Stiploin Steak with Jack Daniels Barbecue sauce and scallops. All very good. Vegetables a little understated. Scallops a little tired and over-spiced. Steak a little swamped by sauce. Desert - daughter only - peanut butter chocolate pie - very good by all accounts! Service friendly and attentive but not cloying. Overall highly recommended.

• Visited October 2013
Mount Pearl, Canada
“The Food and the View”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Definitely worth the experience.

The food is very good.

And the view...
You are overlooking the harbour and the "narrows".

When in downtown St John's, it would be a great place to have a great meal.

• Visited May 2013
Merrickville, Canada
“This place has it all!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

My sisters and I booked the private room on the second floor for our mother's 65th Birthday party on September 24th, 2013 on a recommendation from a family member... BEST decision we could have made!!!

There was about 20 of us and we ordered most of the dinner menu items including salads and appetizers and amazingly I did not hear one single complaint. In fact all I heard was people raving about their meals.

In particular, I have to mention the Pan Fried Cod it was an item several people had and all of them agreed it was the best they had ever had!!

I personally had the seafood chowder and then the Steel-head Trout with scallops... it was absolutely delicious, cooked to perfection!!!!

The service, from the time you walk in the door until the time you leave is impeccable!! They are soooo friendly and helpful, they were so good to us!!

Last but certainly not least... THE VIEW... what can I say but... WOW!! You look out over the harbour and the narrows with a view of Signal Hill and all the ships at the dock. It really is spectacular!!

It is worth going here just for the view, that fact that everything else is amazing just makes it that much better!!! I can't wait to bring my husband here the next time we good back home!!

• Visited September 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“great food, great view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

From the outside this restaurant didn't look like much. But inside it's quite nice. Bit of an art deco feel. There is a panoramic view over the harbor. For lunch I had a well prepared and tasty salmon with feta and tomatoes.

Visited September 2013