“Great dinner”
Review of Portobello's

Portobello's
Ranked #17 of 373 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Naples Florida
“Great dinner”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Our first night in Newfoundland, followed advice from Trip Advisor reserved at Portobello' s. Heard from other travellers how they could not get in any where as too busy (Friday night) Food was excellent, service great. Nice view of the harbour. Expensive, but we thought it was worth it! Also a good wine selection! Had expected it to be Italian like the name...loved the fish!

• Visited September 2013

Iroquois
“Good Food”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The food was very good but the atmosphere lacked. The view was excellent but the room itself did not feel very intimate. The house red wine was not good- was very harsh. The tables around us were left with dirty dishes and the air conditioner blew cold air on us from the ceiling above. The staff and service were OK. We spent approximately $200. for this meal which included wine, appetizers, entrees for two. Would not recommend this restaurant to my friends because of the issues we encountered.

Visited August 2013
Oakville
“I was disappointed in the food”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

There was 9 of us out for dinner. The greeter at the door was very pleasant. We had a table upstairs right at the window. Yes, it was a great view. My husband and I split an order of the oriental salad as our appetizer. The flavours were good but it was just a bit too oily for my taste. I then ordered the pork tenderloin with fettucine and he ordered the 12 oz sirloin. He said that it was fatty and chewy and he was disappointed. Another one in the party also ordered the same steak and he too wasn't that thrilled with it. My pork tenderloin dinner was terrible. For $30, I got a bowl filled with fettucine, not enough cream sauce so that when you pick up a fork full it all sticks together, and about 5 medallions of pork tenderloin placed on top if it in a circle. The pork was dry and seemed unseasoned - very bland. About 3 oz of meat I would say. No type of presentation. Way, way WAY overpriced. I have to say though that the people that ordered the chicken and the pan fried cod thought their meals were great. We ordered a chocolate pudding for dessert and a slice of cheesecake which were both great. The only other minor thing was our waitress didn't seem too informed. The steaks came with a Chasseur sauce and one member in our party didn't know what was and asked the server. She didn't know either and didn't go and find out for him. She also mis-described the chocolate pudding saying it had peanuts on top but it didn't - it just came with a piece of peanut brittle. Anyway, unless you want a great view, I wouldn't recommend it. I heard that the Keg also has a nice view.

St. John`s, NL
“Another Disappionting Downtown St. John's Dinner!!”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I have reviewed other expensive downtown restaurants before!When I spend over $200.00 for dinner for two I expect really good food! Portobellos did not meet my expectations.My wife ordered the buffalo shrimp starter,she liked the shrimp but described the sauce as putrid!She told the server accordingly and he gave us a free dessert which we appreciated.I ordered the seafood chowder which was really good,lots of seafood in it,tasty.For the main my wife ordered the brome duck which she liked.I ordered the AAA Striplion which was not tender nor tasty.The restaurant does offer some great views of St John's which offset the mediocre food.The free raspberry cheesecake was probably the best dish in the overall meal.We are still looking for the outstanding $200.00 dinner in St.John's.

1 Thank markie23
St. John's, Canada
“"Never Disappoints"”
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

I dine out a lot, both for business and pleasure, so I value a restaurant that delivers consistently, and Portobellos does, day in and day out.

You've got it all here, the food, the wine, good service and a great view, and no fuss parking to boot.

Although they do everything well, I'd say seafood (always fresh) is one of their strengths, especially the pan fried cod which is a must try.

When you're looking for a restaurant that delivers as a venue for an important business meeting, but is also so personal that you'd definitely want to bring a date here, then Portobellos is probably your place.

So go there, you'll likely enjoy yourself!