“Great disappointment!”

Tue, 7/23
8:00 PM
Ranked #19 of 460 Restaurants in St. John's
Reviewed June 10, 2019

WE were very excited to get a reservation at this restaurant. The ambience is great. Unfortunately the food is not ! 6 people ordered pasta and not 1 of them said it was great. It was "OK" they said. It was overcooked. How does that happen? Someone ordered a salad and discovered it was missing a key ingredient . When they asked the waitress about it her response was "we ran out of it". Really? They comped the salad which is of course what they should have done, It should never have been served in the first place! I ordered the steak frites so I was the lucky one as it was delicious! However I ordered rare and it came medium rare.

Date of visit: June 2019

Reviewed June 8, 2019

Have been here many times - food and drinks are usually great. Unfortunately, the last few visits have been less than stellar and our most recent one was the worst by far. Very rude waitress, mediocre meal, bland cocktail and rushed service. Emailed the GM who was unapologetic. Sad to say I won't be back anytime soon!

Reviewed June 6, 2019

We ate in the separate dining room with a group of 9. The service was excellent, the food delicious, the venue lovely. Our server was so professional, she made the event extra special. The ingredients are so flavourful and fresh, I had the halibut and it was delicious. Couldn't have been better.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed May 29, 2019

Good location and a big, open and bright room that works well for a Sunday brunch. Service was a little terse and getting a table was not made easy so we sat at the bar. They seemed a little over-whelmed and getting our meals took quite a long time. Would try them again in the hope that maybe we caught them on an off-day.

Reviewed May 22, 2019 via mobile

My wife and I left the kids with the in-laws and headed out on a date night. We decided on The Merchant Tavern for supper. The atmosphere caught my attention immediately and I have always been a fan of having bar seating next to the kitchen allowing guests to watch the chefs at work.

My wife and I sat at the bar and both had drinks. We didn’t order appy’s but in hindsight, regret this decision. My wife ordered a pasta with seafood. Linguine with white sauce. It was amazing. She was happy she ordered the larger portion. I never order fish but for some reason (vacationing in St. Johns perhaps) I was left completely satisfied. The crust was perfectly golden and crisp and the fish just fell apart. I would recommend it to everyone.

Sadly we did not try dessert but The Vinegar Pie May need to be sampled before we head home.

I will be back!!!