“Just wonderful”

Tue, 7/16
8:00 PM
Ranked #19 of 460 Restaurants in St. John's
Reviewed June 6, 2019

We ate in the separate dining room with a group of 9. The service was excellent, the food delicious, the venue lovely. Our server was so professional, she made the event extra special. The ingredients are so flavourful and fresh, I had the halibut and it was delicious. Couldn't have been better.

Date of visit: June 2019

Reviewed May 29, 2019

Good location and a big, open and bright room that works well for a Sunday brunch. Service was a little terse and getting a table was not made easy so we sat at the bar. They seemed a little over-whelmed and getting our meals took quite a long time. Would try them again in the hope that maybe we caught them on an off-day.

Reviewed May 22, 2019 via mobile

My wife and I left the kids with the in-laws and headed out on a date night. We decided on The Merchant Tavern for supper. The atmosphere caught my attention immediately and I have always been a fan of having bar seating next to the kitchen allowing guests to watch the chefs at work.

My wife and I sat at the bar and both had drinks. We didn’t order appy’s but in hindsight, regret this decision. My wife ordered a pasta with seafood. Linguine with white sauce. It was amazing. She was happy she ordered the larger portion. I never order fish but for some reason (vacationing in St. Johns perhaps) I was left completely satisfied. The crust was perfectly golden and crisp and the fish just fell apart. I would recommend it to everyone.

Sadly we did not try dessert but The Vinegar Pie May need to be sampled before we head home.

I will be back!!!

Reviewed May 21, 2019

We went to this place for a foodies weekend in St.John's. For the 4 people in our group this place was by far the one we liked the least. Inattentive service, pushy waitress, bad pasta, average burger, hefty alcohol prices. For some reason the rabbit pasta we ordered had a weird seafood taste to it, my wife didn't eat it at all. You can get MUCH better quality for best prices at Mallard Cottage or Adelaide Oyster House.

Reviewed May 14, 2019

Ate here a while ago for a work function. Absolutely fantastic food and great local beers on tap. Would 100% recommend.

Date of visit: March 2019