“Enjoyable evening”

Sat, 7/20
8:00 PM
Ranked #19 of 460 Restaurants in St. John's
Reviewed April 25, 2019 via mobile

My husband and I had our anniversary supper at the Merchant Tavern. The meal was delicious. He had the steak and I had the pork. The fish tacos were great also. Our server was efficient. She always checked in with us at the right times. My only complaint is that the tables are too close together. The people on the side of us were so close, our server couldnt physically fit between the 2 tables. Overall though, the bar is beautiful and the meal was tasty.

Date of visit: April 2019

Reviewed April 20, 2019

I ate here during a business trip and it was an absolute highlight. Get the halibut! Besides the excellent food, this place has a vibrant atmosphere and friendly staff. 5 stars all round.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed February 2, 2019 via mobile

Our server was friendly and checked on our table frequently but did not over do it. The food was very tasty, I recommend the chicken, steak and burger. The vinegar pie was fantastic, almost like a apple pie with tea ice cream. I wish you could buy the ice cream by the pint. The creme brûlée is a large serving compared to most restaurants but I do not like it. The others at the table really enjoyed it. We also had the carrot cake. The cake itself was moist and delicious but it would of been 100 times better with just buttercream icing instead of how its currently served, there is a lot going on with the cake with some kind of granola and the icing is very tart with a off taste. Otherwise the meal and experience was fantastic. It is a little pricy but shows with the complex and quality of the dishes excluding the carrot cake. Some people would argue its over priced but again for the food and experience we gotten was worth the price. The apps were also fantastic would recommend the calamari.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed February 1, 2019

Every trip deserves a budget busting meal or two. Merchant was ours during the visit to St. John's in 2018. Reservations, a bit of a dress up (not necessary, but we liked to do it), high quality staff serving an excellent meal: seafood appetizer, salad, duck and fish main dishes, good gooey dessert, good beer choices (skipped the wine this time). A pleasant 90-minute evening meal followed by a walk along the harbor and on Water Street.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank twoinmaine
Reviewed January 13, 2019 via mobile

Loved the room and atmosphere, too bad the linguine pasta I had as a main was so spicy I could not eat it.
We had a frito misto and frites as starters both were good, no complaints there.

Date of visit: January 2019