“Great little pub in downtown St John's”
Review of Duke of Duckworth

Duke of Duckworth
Ranked #10 of 384 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Canadian, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Super little pub in centre of St John's serving the best fish and chips along with some excellent draught beers. It is small but this only adds to the atmosphere. It can be busy so get there early if you want a table. Friendly, fast service.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Great atmosphere and great food and drinks EXCEPT my last two times. I was sitting near a guy who threw up and I was physically threatened by the server who yelled he would "rub my face in it" as I told him it was not I who threw up. The next night, there was a confusion about the payment of our bill as we had it moved over a few credit cards. The bartender and a server talked down to us and took shots at us, as if they did not believe we were bright enough to figure out the division of the bil and how it would work. We then proceeded to pay on Visa and tip in cash. I guess the server did not see it as he approached us at the door and lectured us on how to be better customers and continued to speak down to us. I really did love this place and often went there with my family but I can assure you that is over. Back to back awful and embarrassing services, this will be my last time there for quite some time.

1  Thank Stu114
Reviewed December 1, 2013

As much as we wanted to enjoy libations in the same watering hole as the Republic of Doyle people, our friends and St. John's locals strongly recommended this as a must stop.

This is a small space, so if you are intent on a table, get there early, or be prepared to wait at the bar. It's busy for good reason. Our group of 6 all ordered the 2-piece fish and chips, fries with stuffing and gravy. The $13.59 is a bargain for the 2 huge pieces of meaty cod accompanying an overflowing plate of fries. The fish is firm, fresh and sweet, some of the best in Newfoundland.

Draft beers include English standbys as well as Keith's, Rickard's, and local Quidi Vidi. Make sure to try the 1892, a crisp amber, but be prepared for the $7.90 per pint to add up quickly.

1  Thank Pyke88
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I had read positive reviews so I choose to have a scoff of fish and chips. Excellent service and excellent food! I was extremely happy with my meal and so were the folks I went with. I felt I had stepped into a European pub and was enchanted with authentic Newfoundland hospitality.
I will be returning the next time I visit St.John's.

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff in a place full of pub charm. I did have. 2 piece fish and chips with stuffing and gravy - and the only mistake I made was ordering 2 pieces. Each Piece was thick and luscious and had to be 8-9 oz. Getting the second piece required. 2nd pint of beer but I persevered. I can not recall eating any fried fish anywhere that tasted as good as this. That meal for $13.00 could not be had a home and if available in that fresh size of fish would be $30+. The fish was lightly fried and not greasy and the batter was light not thick. I would order just fish and a side of salad on my next return.