“Best pub in St. John's”

Duke of Duckworth
Ranked #8 of 373 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Canadian
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown
Sherwood Park, Alberta
“Best pub in St. John's”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

As much as we wanted to enjoy libations in the same watering hole as the Republic of Doyle people, our friends and St. John's locals strongly recommended this as a must stop.

This is a small space, so if you are intent on a table, get there early, or be prepared to wait at the bar. It's busy for good reason. Our group of 6 all ordered the 2-piece fish and chips, fries with stuffing and gravy. The $13.59 is a bargain for the 2 huge pieces of meaty cod accompanying an overflowing plate of fries. The fish is firm, fresh and sweet, some of the best in Newfoundland.

Draft beers include English standbys as well as Keith's, Rickard's, and local Quidi Vidi. Make sure to try the 1892, a crisp amber, but be prepared for the $7.90 per pint to add up quickly.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Pyke88

Coldbrook, Canada
“So glad I read Tripadvisor before my trip!”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I had read positive reviews so I choose to have a scoff of fish and chips. Excellent service and excellent food! I was extremely happy with my meal and so were the folks I went with. I felt I had stepped into a European pub and was enchanted with authentic Newfoundland hospitality.
I will be returning the next time I visit St.John's.

• Visited November 2013
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Great Experience”
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff in a place full of pub charm. I did have. 2 piece fish and chips with stuffing and gravy - and the only mistake I made was ordering 2 pieces. Each Piece was thick and luscious and had to be 8-9 oz. Getting the second piece required. 2nd pint of beer but I persevered. I can not recall eating any fried fish anywhere that tasted as good as this. That meal for $13.00 could not be had a home and if available in that fresh size of fish would be $30+. The fish was lightly fried and not greasy and the batter was light not thick. I would order just fish and a side of salad on my next return.

Italy
“Average & overpriced fish & chips...”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We went to the Duke for Fish & Chips in October, 2013.
The meal was okay....not the best I've had but certainly okay.
However, I thought it was really overpriced.....2 fish/chips (dressing & gravy) and one beer was over $50. Not worth it at all. There are other places where you can get better fish & chips for cheaper.

• Visited October 2013
Toronto, Canada
“The best pub in St. John's”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

It is definitely the place to go. Atmosphere, service, food are all fantastic. We go there every time we are in St. John's and are never disappointed.

Visited September 2013