“Homey Pub”

Duke of Duckworth
Ranked #8 of 373 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Canadian
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown
Jacksonville, Florida
“Homey Pub”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We preferred this pub to the places on St. George. A great selection of local beers. Excellent fish and chips. Good service.

Visited July 2013

Toronto, Canada
“Not the best food but good pub atmosphere”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

You should visit this place as it appears to be somewhat of a local institution. A lack of dinner service at other pubs lead us to the Duke. Apparently the TV show Republic of Doyle films there, or did and now has a replicate set. An authentic pub, warm service and atmosphere, average pub menu, but unfortunately the food isn't up to snuff. Wine glasses dating back to the 70's - extremely small. Cheap and cheerful but don't make it a destination for a meal.

• Visited April 2013
Canada
“Nope...”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

So I will say firstly that I did not have the fish & chips. That being said, the food I had was awful. The place itself is dark, dumpy and small. My mom and I had the chicken fingers and chicken wings with fries. They were your typical pub grub but way over priced. Menu was very limited for a bar as well.

After this meal, I was actually mad that I wasted my time coming here over the other fantastic places to eat in St. John's.

I would not return or recommend.

• Visited July 2013
Kingston, Canada
“Fish and chips is a must”
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Best fish and chips I've ever had. The pub was packed... Which is always a good sign.
I really can't say enough about the fish.
You will be asked if you want gravy or dressing for your fries. Note: dressing in Nfld is turkey stuffing. Apparently it's a very Newfoundland thing to put gravy and stuffing on fries. A slight variation to poutine.

• Visited July 2013
Nelson
“Great food!!!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This place was recommended by several people and we went on our last day. They were right, it was great food. We both had the fish and chips and it was fantastic. We had fish and chips at several places on our trip and this was tied for the best. The service was vey friendly as was typical throughout Newfoundland. We certainly highly recommend this place for great food and a pint or two.

Visited June 2013