“Horrible Food & Place was Empty for Dinner”
Review of Cathedral Street Bistro - CLOSED

Cathedral Street Bistro
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2013

It is almost unheard of for a restaurant to be empty during the summer in St. John's (the height of tourist season) so when we walked in and saw that we were the only ones there, we began to worry. The irony is that we made a reservation. I guess I should have known based on the fact they offered a Groupon which no respectable restaurant in St. John's does because they don't have to.

The restaurant had tables both downstairs and upstairs yet they made us go upstairs away from the window as if not to advertise they had customers which was very odd. The service was very good but that would be expected considering we pretty much had the place to ourselves. The menu was not vast so I thought that what was on it would be decent but I was wrong.

Like another review pointed out, the bread served seemed as if it was from the supermarket and not the good kind either. It was served with salted butter and by that I mean the butter literally had salt on the sides which was bizarre because it was already salted butter and this made it inedible.

For our appetizer we had the scallops ($14). They were served quickly and they were okay -- nothing great and would have been better with some balsamic vinegar over them -- but strangely they were served over black beans and corn. What a very bizarre combination. It just didn't go.

For my main course I had the beef short rib. The waitress said it was fall off the bone tender and very lean but of course that wasn't true. It was smothered with BBQ sauce -- who does that to short rib? -- and had a layer of fatty gristle on 1/3 of it. The rest was anything but tender. It was tough and chewy and I literally had to spit out many pieces. It was served over what was clearly a bag of frozen peas and corn. I've never seen this at a fine dining establishment and for that, they should be ashamed. It was certainly not worth $30 and seemed like it was a frozen meal that was heated up. If it was cooked by a chef then shame on the chef.

My spouse had the pasta with chicken, sausage and shrimp ($19). There were barely any pieces of chicken and shrimp and very little sausage. It looked like it was a bowl of leftovers that were heated up. Even the wine my spouse had, Sauvignon Blanc.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that they'll be closed by the end of the season. No customers and bad food will be the death of them. Even their credit card machine didn't work. Overall this was a total failure. I definitely do not recommend trying the Cathedral Street Bistro before they close their doors.

3  Thank BloatedBelly

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Yummy eggs Benedict and great lox and bagels. Very friendly staff. Make reservations for a larger group.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Recently went here for a quiet dinner; but was utterly amazed at the poor service! When I spoke to the server she had several excuses as to why it was taking so long for meal to be served...from we order food medium well but others had ordered rare and to top it if she suggested that because we had ordered an appetizer our meal would be normally be expected to be served much later...I must say I have traveled and dined in many places but this has to be my worst experience. Not once did the server apologize but rather made excuses for the poor service. We paid the bill for the wine and appetizer and went down the street where the service was excellent and the price was half the cost of Cathedral Street Bistro. I would suggest that the "chef" and servers dine at other restaurants to see what good service means! With this service I would expect this establishment to go the way of its predecessor!

Reviewed June 1, 2013

If you are looking for a hideen gen off the beaten path, well here it is! The decore is incredible, great service and wonderful food (a bit pricy though...). Looking at itvfrom the outside is very deceiving, but once you step footh inside, you will be pleasantly surprised!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

I was in St. John's for business and was wandering the streets looking for a place to eat. The "fresh halibut" sign down the block caught my attention and I went up to the bistro. It is a nice space with a great bar area but I was wondering if they were opened because as I entered I realized I was the only one in the place. They were and once settled the staff were very friendly and accommodating.
I enjoyed the best halibut I have had in a long time and the blue cheese and bacon side salad was very fresh and tasty as well. I had a lemon cloud dessert which was also excellent.
Overall thoroughly enjoyed the food and the atmosphere and will come back again next time I am in St. John's

1  Thank DCreightonA