“Not going back again”

Ranked #193 of 378 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Chinese
“Not going back again”
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Really strange, the place was busy, but the food certainly did not live up to the demand.

Sub par chinese food. General Tao Chicken was the only eatable dish I ordered. Not going to go back.

1 Thank Fej51

St. John's, Canada
“China house a family tradition”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We have been eating at and ordering from the China House for many years. We have seen the restaurant change hands and the quality has remained the same. A few years ago, It was such a pleasure to realize that my sons were friends with the sons of the new owner. Our tradition is: we order exactly the same items each time we go: won ton soup (pork) spring rolls, General Chicken (spicy) steamed rice, a bowl and chopsticks. Sometimes we add a vegetable dish. The quality is excellent the service is very friendly. This is why we always go back to this little wonder.

• Visited June 2013
Houston, Texas
“The best I have found for Chinese...so far”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Asian food is one of my favorites and I have tried several options in St. Johns over the term of my work assignment. Unfortunately none have set a very high standard in terms of flavor and presentation. China House though has come closest to matching what I have enjoyed in the states.
When I did not see what I wanted on the menu I asked the server if any substitutions were possible. She asked what I was wanting and then consulted the kitchen. They made a very good attempt at filling my request. The food was good but not as spicy as I like. I afford this to their needs to serve the local taste preferences which are bland at best.
If you have to have chinese food and can't wait to get back to the states then China House is one of the best options.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Jay B
St. John's, Canada
“A fave whenever I am in St. John's”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This is now a tradition for me! I never travel to St. Johns without popping in for supper. Very nice inside, clean and great food!

Visited April 2012
“Standard Chinese Fare”
Reviewed December 21, 2011

Decent prices and standard choices.
They were accomodating with not including specific ingredients. Will definitely go back.

Visited May 2011