“Great fish but condiments were outdated”

Ches's Fish and Chips
Ranked #163 of 383 Restaurants in St. John's
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The fish and chips were written up in Canadian Living magazine as the one of the best places to eat them in Canada. Well, the fish and chips were good, we also tried the "cod tongues" but its not my favourite delicacy. I was extremely upset when I was squeezing the tartar sauce over my fish, to see a label on the bottle stating 31st. I brought this to the attention of the waiter and he said, "oh we mix our own and that is for this month". At first that made sense, then I realized June on has 30 days! From a Public Health perspective, I want to know what I am eating is safe, I was dubious after that. If they lie about outdated tartar sauce, what other corners are being cut!

jbn2010, Guest Relations Manager at Ches's Fish and Chips, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Not sure what you mean by the tarter sauce bottles. We use a commercial grade clear plastic bottle that we fill each day with tarter sauce from a 4L bottle. If you were told that we make it ourselves you were misinformed. If there was a date on the bottom it would have been a fill date, and even then it would have been wrong as I said they are cleaned and refilled daily.

We as a company pride ourselves on food safety (we have all of our staff trained in house with a national food safety program) and we have some of the strictest food temperature logs that I know of. I can guarantee you that all our food prepared is safe and above standards.

I would like it if you could e-mail me at the e-mail below to see which location you visited so I can get to the bottom of the tarter sauce issue.

Thank you for your comments.

Jen
jen@chessfishandchips.ca

Reviewed June 14, 2013

It is the little things that leave the biggest impression. Myself and a friend dropped into Ches's for dinner and we were starving. We checked out the rating on Service NL's website and they passed their restaurant inspection. So, we ordered our meal. I got a small fish and chips and was delighted when the waiter came out with our order within minutes. He advised that the cook was not pleased with my piece of fish. I'm sure Weight Watcher's were not please either but I was having it! I started my meal with no complaints and before I finished the waiter returned with a second piece of fish. I still don't know why? The first piece was white, flaky and very tasty. I ate the second piece too after he twisted my arm. It was delicious!!!! That little bit of attention made my meal. Great customer service...I will return again and again.

Loved your review! I am so happy when I hear my staff doing their job. When we feel something is not right we always fix it. They should have however waited and brought you your meal with the perfect piece of fish rather then give you the one the cook was unhappy with first. Most of the time it is the batter we are not satisfied with as it can absorb more grease then we would like on times.

YOU can eat away and be happy that your weightwathers points were not damaged to bad, a a piece of our fish only has 210 calories, no added sodium and no cholesterol (just the natural occurring ones)

Nice to see you check out our reports before eating but I can insure you that food safety is top of our list and be provide nationally accredited training programs as well as have very detailed cooking logs to ensure all our product is served to the top of standards.

Hope to see you soon.

Jen
jen@chessfishandchips.ca

Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I bought the 3 pieces of cod and fries, large gravy and a large milk. Total cost was $19.25 including the tax.
The fish batter was crunchy but too greasy. The fries were absolutely fantastic. What can I say about the milk...lol. The gravy was a little too salty, but isn't that what makes gravy yummy.
I will definitely return, tomorrow in fact, because it's all about the fish....and I love fresh cod.
If fish is not your thing, try the chicken, but make sure you have the fries....yummmm

Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

The fish is great and fresh. I like to season the fish more to add some flavor to it. It would be nice to clean the seating area more often.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

The fish isn't always fresh, but when it is it's a good old fashioned lunch or late night snack after a night of music at one of the great Irish pubs downtown. Not as good as the Duke of Duckworth but, very good nonetheless.