“Excellent!”

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Dinner in the restaurant was fabulous. Halibut special, fried, served with small red potatoes and mushrooms - absolutely stunning - a perfect blend of delicate flavors! The staff are great! The bar is also first rate - with a good selection of whisky and beer.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have to say that I had two vastly different experiences at this restaurant and I am going to base my rating on the latter and not the former. There are two areas to dine here- a more formal one and a more informal bar area. I would not recommend it for Sunday brunch due to my bad experience with both the food and the service. My eggs were so overcooked they were inedible, and the hash browns were also overcooked. The server seemed to think she was doing us a favor by letting us eat there and was just not cordial or welcoming at all. We observed her working several more times as we came back to have drinks at the bar and eat dinner, and her demeanor never changed. She just seems like a generally unhappy person and never once smiled. Perhaps she's going through a rough time, who knows.

Anyway, the service and food we had for dinner on the bar side was amazing. I ordered the appetizer special, which was oysters on the half shell. They were so delicious, I ordered a second round. The mussels were also fantastic and the caesar salad was delicious. To make things even better, we had a highly desirable table next to the sidewalk and our server was fantastic. Yes, it's a little busy and noisy, there is hustle and bustle on the sidewalk with plenty of interesting people to watch and the night breeze felt great. It's just what we were looking for. and this was my favorite dining experience the entire week we spent in St. John's. This is #1 on my list to visit again when I go back.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Recommended to us by several people at our hotel. The service was warm and friendly and very helpful. I had oysters on the half shell with a cucumber vinagrette. It was to die for and if I had room I would have ordered it again for my dessert. My main was a lobster over salad greens. Again this was amazing. I found the portions more than ample and as a matter of fact was unable to eat my entire lobster, much to my chagrin. If we had not been returning home the next day I would have come back here again. I dream of those oysters constantly. It was one of my favourite meals ever.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We had dinner last evening at Blue on Water..We had eaten there several times in the past( a year ago) and was quite happy with the food. We revisted blue yesterday and had the chicken and salmon. OMG! The chicken was very tasteless, as though it was just baked in the oven with no taste whatsoever and it was served with 4 pieces of baked potatoe. My partner had the salmon. Very over cooked and tasteless. I recommend not to spend the money at this restaurant unless you are on a 0 fat, 0 taste, 0 spice diet-then it may work for you. Horrible food.

1  Thank nikkicocoa1
Reviewed August 2, 2013

was recommended to us by a good friend. Lobster bisque was perfect. I had the duck & slightly over done & not really a crispy skin, as I'd like to see. My husband's halibut was very good. Prices are higher than others in St John's. Service was attentive and considerate.