“Great Service and Food”

Tajmahal Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed March 14, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised on our last visit. The server was very helpful and pointed out their $50 dinner for two, which was huge! Dinner for two and dinner the next day! :) He even allowed a substitution with it (as long as the item was the same or less cost than that substituted). The new decor is nice. The food was flavourful although the next time we may ask for spicier. The biriyani was a little unusual but good too.
We will be back!

There are newer reviews for Tajmahal Restaurant

Reviewed October 5, 2011

The new decor looks really nice. The place was really overdue for an update. I had great food there 3 years ago. I went in February and it was pretty bad. The lunch buffet a few weeks ago was pretty small and lacking in vegetables and flavour. I'll give it another try soon for a la carte to see if the food has improved. I love Indian food.

1  Thank SarahbackinNL
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Go for Indian food on Duckworth Street until this place has a bit of a shake up. I was told by friends that it had been great, bit cold (as in temperature) in winter but great food, great value

Reviewed August 18, 2009

I hear the lunch buffet is when the restaurant fills but we have eaten a la carte for dinner and the food is truly delicious. They will even make it "Indian" hot if you so request (Newfoundlanders do not like very spicy foods). Every time I have Indian food in other countries (including most Indiand restaurants in the UK) I am left longing for the taste of the Taj Mahal in little St. John's.

Our favorites are the butter chicken, Kdhai Lamb and the eggplant puree.

The downside is the awful decor. It has a slightly sleazy look, things look a bit worn and the place could use a makeover. But the food makes you look right past these flaws.

2  Thank InEightyDays
Reviewed May 23, 2008

The food is really good at times, if you can get past the cheesy decor. The pictures are strewn everywhere,seems like the owner took pictures from his home and put them up, there is no theme really. It is dark, but the decor makes me want to call Restaurant Makeover. They can make this into something really cool.

Try their Paneer sizzler and the Navratna Korma...excellent. The food, I like the atmosphere, I don't.