“needs a makeover”

Papa's Pier 17
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2013

first thing I saw and couldn't stop looking at was the "Christmas style" lights hanging from the ceiling...the white icicle all over. service was friendly and prompt. The food was bland, and needed something...
overall 3/10

Reviewed February 9, 2013

This restaurant seemed dated. I'd heard good things but my food was bland plus they still had Christmas decorations up and it was almost Feb.

1  Thank Karen2Fold
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The ribs at Papas were absolutley the best in St.Johns The service was fast the caesar salad was amazing. The christmas decorations were enchanting.Our first visit and the beat restaurant we have dined in by far. Its a must

1  Thank Arleneanddean
Reviewed December 12, 2012

First time back to Papa's in a few years. Always found the food in the past kind of average but with fine dining prices. This time we were there on someone else's dime so I couldn't refuse a free meal. I had heard that the restaurant in under new management so we hoped the food had improved. And compared to previous visits it has. There were 7 of us there and all enjoyed their meals with just some minor complaints. The garlic bread was excellent. The seafood chowder was good. A few of us had the seafood platter and everyone found it good. The server was excellent and accommodated us with our choice of cooking oil for the seafood platter. The place was well decorated for Christmas, not quite as overdone as in previous years but still lots of lights! The menu was much better than in the past as well, with a decent variety. Prices are about the same as you would find in most fine dining restaurants around St. John's. This restaurant does not have an online menu available - management should correct this.

1  Thank BigBear50
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My hubby and I went to dinner on a Thursday evening. The restaurant was busy but the service was friendly without hovering and our meal was delivered in a reasonable amount of time. Husband had a tenderloin and baked potato with mushrooms and onions. The $32 steak was TERRIBLE, zero flavour, what a disappointment! The potato was fine, but how can you screw that up? Even the mushrooms were undercooked. I had the half rack of ribs and fries. It was the first time that I had ever ordered ribs in a restaurant, I am usually a chicken person. The rib sauce was nice but the ribs had very little meat and it was difficult to try and gnaw off the little bit of meat that was on them. The fries were dark brown, totally over cooked. The only reason we went to this restaurant was because we were given a gift card, good thing we didn't have to waste our own money on this sad, sad meal.

This place is NOT high end. It is basic casual dining with high end prices.

There are so many other nicer places with fantastic food in St. John's. Don't waste your money here.