“A consistently excellent dining experience”

Oliver's Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 384 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Intimate restaurant in the heart of downtown St. John's, Newfoundland. Operating for over 17 years,Oliver's is a favourite for great seafood, steaks, fresh pastas and mouthwatering housemade desserts. Featuring intimate booths, warm colours and a fantastic wine list. Serving lunch and dinner weekdays and brunch and dinner on weekends.
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We learned about Oliver's from several sources, and after our first meal at this delightful restaurant we couldn't resist going back (two times) to try other selections on their innovative menu. We particularly enjoyed their fish and seafood selections. Never disappointed. The staff were very pleasant and accommodating. Kudos to the chefs!!! Make a reservation - we saw a number of drop-in pe

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had a late Sunday lunch at Oliver's Restaurant because it was close to our hotel and it looked cosy. We had a wonderful waitress who was happy to help with questions, knowledgeable, chatty without being imposing and efficient. We ordered a starter and two mains for two of us to share. And our waitress kindly suggested we get all three out at once, which was exactly what we wanted! We ordered the crab cakes, the cod tongue and the halibut. All were perfectly good meals. I had never tried cod tongues before so was curious. Our waitress told me that it is normally served with bacon or lardon. Not really an experience I would rush back for... For dessert, we got a bread pudding and a crème brulee.

The meals weren't anything out of the ordinary. They were good simple meals, cooked well. We weren't expecting anything more.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Joined a group of business colleagues for dinner. People arrived over a period of time and they were pretty good about getting drinks and serving the new arrivals. Appetizers arrived fairly quickly but I found the crab cakes fairly bland and average. The must have forgotten to place my order since it arrived much later with apologies. It was an average piece of salmon with some OK sides. Dessert was a fairly good Baileys Cream Brule.

The rrom isicely furnished and I expect I would have enjoyed the food more if it hadn't been late and therefore a bi rushed. Wait staff were very good, I think the kitchen let them down

1  Thank SaskWolfhoun
Reviewed August 6, 2013

One of the best Chef's in St.Johns. And it is always done right and spotless. Favours jump off the plates. The only thing wrong with this place is the service and the wait. It is small and popular but by now they should know from a full black book they have a full room coming all night, the kitchen is prepared so should you. The cod, made Newfoundland proud. It is my favourite dinning room in town from a food and plate stand, I think it out does Raymond's !!

Calvin38, Owner at Oliver's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Thank you for taking time to post a review. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our food. We work very hard to source and prepare the freshest food we can find. We do appreciate you letting us know about the wait time as well. We struggle this this of year to keep up with how busy it is. Our kitchen works extremely hard in a small kitchen to produce amazing food. Thank you again for your kind words and to compare us with Raymond's is flattering.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Took the halibut special of the day and though it was well presented ,i thought that a price of 21 dollars was pretty steep for the 3 ounces portion.Come on this is St Jonn's.When I paid for the meal it was showing as a buffet meal 3. Gives me the impression I was took advantage of. Like one the previous reviewer mentioned, the staff should mention the prices of the daily specials when they present them.Atmosphere was ok and the service was good.

Calvin38, Owner at Oliver's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

I am very happy you enjoyed your food and service at Olivers. We get our halibut in fresh and we filet it in house. Portions are always cut to 6 ounces at a minimum. We will discuss with the staff about letting customers know the prices from now on. Thanks very much for helping make us better.