“Have not been there but was highly recommended”

Oliver's Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 384 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian, Cafe
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Intimate restaurant in the heart of downtown St. John's, Newfoundland. Operating for over 17 years,Oliver's is a favourite for great seafood, steaks, fresh pastas and mouthwatering housemade desserts. Featuring intimate booths, warm colours and a fantastic wine list. Serving lunch and dinner weekdays and brunch and dinner on weekends.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Was told by the cab driver that while we ate at Portobellos - the more downscale place but excellent place for seafood is Olivers

Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I were here and was not overly impressed. The service was great, the food was just o.k and the wait time was VERY long. I had the Bourbon Glazed Breast of Chicken, and my husband the seafood platter. My dish was not all that tasteful, but my husband enjoyed his platter. This was our first time at Oliver's, and quite possibly, our last. The food did not impress us to the point of going there again.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I like going Oliver's because it's close to my office and very convenient for good business lunches because the atmosphere is suitable for private conversations, the service is excellent, the food is consistently of a high quality and the menu offers ample variety.

Today when the orders for my guest and I arrived, mine was the wrong item so within about 10 minutes they replaced it with the delectable salmon that I had wanted. They apologized profusely. My response was that, " these things happen." Nevertheless, to my surprise they did not charge me for my meal.

Their compensation was over and above what I could have imagined. I can now add this pleasant experience to the several other reasons I like going to Oliver's.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We walked past, looked in and later went back to eat. Did not have a reservation but since it was a Tuesday night and 7pm a table was available. Did notice that it filled up whilst we were eating, so reservation may be advisable under other circumstances. The service was friendly and efficient, the atmosphere casual and relaxing. This made for an enjoyable experience. The food was very good but not great. Appetisers were the best part. The calamari was a large serve, coated with nice spices and cooked well. The crab cakes were the best we have had in Canada, so far. Seemed to comprise just crab meat (no fillers) with spices and tiny vegetable particles, accompanying salad had a great dressing.
The mains were not big portions but were ample after appetisers. The chicken breast with risotto was good. The bison, yes bison, just had to try it! was surprisingly tender but the mushroom sauce was a let down, too much of it and it was a bit too thick. Accompanying vegetables only tepid and not well cooked.
As an overall experience it was good, not over priced ($92 for two) and we would not hesitate to pay a return visit, though no bison next time!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Ate hear 2x. Small cozy restaurant, friendly service. Food was good, however nothing that really sticks out as great. Nothing that would really draw me back.