“Try the duck nachos - OMG”
Review of Magnum & Steins

Magnum & Steins
Reserve with OpenTable
Magnum & Steins is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 390 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Magnum & Steins is pleased to receive a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence. We strive to offer our customers a memorable experience, and this accolade is evidence that our hard work is translating into positive reviews on TripAdvisor. “TripAdvisor is delighted to celebrate the success of businesses around the globe, from Sydney to Chicago, Sao Paulo to Rome, which are consistently offering TripAdvisor travellers a great customer experience,” said Alison Copus, Vice President of Marketing for TripAdvisor for Business. “The Certificate of Excellence award provides top performing establishments around the world the recognition they deserve, based on feedback from those who matter most – their customers.”
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Stopped in for a couple of pints on the advise of a local - told to try the duck nachos. Made with fried wontons vs nacho chips - fantastic - who thought of this?!?! Why are more places not doing this?!?!

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Although our server was a lovely gal about to leave home for the first time for medical school, and the restaurant decor quite modern and attractive, our food was less than exceptional. The cod was very average tasting and the accompanying vegetables looked and tasted like something a chain restaurant might serve- nothing inspired. Unfortunately this restaurant would be at the bottom of our list of restaurants to visit in St. John's.

1  Thank coffee522
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Went to the downstairs more casual bar of the restaurant. There is no air conditioning and it was sweltering hot. The bartender/waiter had a huge hairy beard and was sweating profusely. I watched him wipe his sweaty brow with his hands then pick up a lemon and squeeze it in someone's tap water. The bar seemed very disorganized and ugly with lots of glasses and bottles about. They use a very strict measured pour. I asked for a taste of the wine to see if I liked it because the waiter was not very knowledgeable about it and then found there was a $1.95 charge for the taste on my bill ( I didn't like it so didn't order a glass of it). Luckily, the other bartender, took it off for me. They should inform their customers if they are going to charge for a taste to see if they like the wine, especially if the staff knows nothing about it. I had the fish taco which was okay. The prices were crazy for the entrees...$35-$40+ and yet again, no investment in air conditioning. Heard another couple complaining how miserable they were. The wines by the way are kind of no name crappy wines and they are trying to be a wanna be fancy place, but missing the mark.

1  Thank sharte2013
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We ate here a few nights ago, the the food was phenomenal. We generally only eat seafood/fish, and Magnum and Steins blew us away with how fresh, inventive and delicious they prepared it. We ate in the lower bar level which is a little more casual, but hip and stylish enough for a nice date night out. We're definitely going to become regulars here, and recommend it to anyone who loves fish/seafood, other than the typical battered and fried found in St. John's. I didn't notice if they did have Fi and Chi in the menu, but I'm sure it would rock if it did. Loved every bite.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Upon arrival, there was a server waiting at the door for us and sat us directly by the window with a scenic view of Duckworth St. Immediately our pleasant waitress served us waters and several breads with a tasty cream cheese and caramelized onion spread. With tons of wines to chose from, we settled on a Malbec for the evening. We started with the Fish Tacos and the Duck Confit Nachos, both of which were to die for. I would go back for those nachos on any day of the week. We both had the Half Rack of Lamb which was also incredibly delicious. Unfortunately we just couldn't fit any dessert into us, however we stuck around for some coffee and finished our wine. Overall the night was absolutely fabulous, I wouldn't have changed a thing. I look forward to going back to Magnum and Steins.