“Very Good”
Review of Magnum & Steins

Magnum & Steins
Reserve with OpenTable
Magnum & Steins is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #62 of 373 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Canadian, International
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Magnum & Steins is pleased to receive a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence. We strive to offer our customers a memorable experience, and this accolade is evidence that our hard work is translating into positive reviews on TripAdvisor. “TripAdvisor is delighted to celebrate the success of businesses around the globe, from Sydney to Chicago, Sao Paulo to Rome, which are consistently offering TripAdvisor travellers a great customer experience,” said Alison Copus, Vice President of Marketing for TripAdvisor for Business. “The Certificate of Excellence award provides top performing establishments around the world the recognition they deserve, based on feedback from those who matter most – their customers.”
Pouch Cove, Canada
“Very Good”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I was a fan of the lower floor of the old Magnum & Steins so last night my girlfriend and I tried out the lower floor of their newish place across the lane from the Duke of Duckworth. I must admit that Bernie's taste in decor didn't thrill me but we settled in with a martini and a Ceasar both excellent. The server was affable and we started with what turned out to be the best of three treats. The ribs and corn fritter were great. Tender ribs with a thick sauce together with corn fritters to mop up the sauce. Unfortunately it took twenty minutes to get the follow ups, popcorn chicken with a dry breaking which was tasty and a nice yogurt dip, and to massive pork meatballs on buns. The chicken itself was overdone and there was no way to get the meatball slider near your mouth when it was on the bun but aside from the delay it was a nice Monday night. The server was very good and we tipped accordingly. Too bad we were the only people in the place.

• Visited January 2013

St. John's, NL
“Disappointing”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I had been to this restaurant three years ago at its old location and really enjoyed it. Now they're pretentious. There were several mains I liked on the menu but there was no choice if sides. I wanted the 12 oz filet, but the accompanying dishes were not things I liked so I had to settle for the 18 oz strip loin. It arrived overdone with all the veg piled on top with some god awful sauce. The veg had obviously been cooked about 3 hours before and tasted like it. The atmosphere and service were okay but it just didn't click for me. I won't go back.

• Visited December 2012
St. John's
“My favorite date restaurant”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

They have a great atmosphere, it's very relaxing and the service is always outstanding. I usually order from the chefs selection for the night and mussels are done in so many different ways every time I go I have them and they are always amazing.

Visited September 2012
Marlow, United Kingdom
“Clean Plates all Round”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We dined here with friends who recommended it and were pleasantly surprised how good it was.

The appetizers were all delicious and the main course (Beef Tenderloin with
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potato, Fried Artichoke Hearts, Celeriac “Hay”, Red Wine & 5 Peppercorn Demi-Glace) we all ordered the same, was really as good as any steak I had in Texas!

Desserts were really delicious and could not fault anything at all. Nice ambience!

Highly recommend a visit while you are in St John's

• Visited November 2012
St. John's, Canada
“Magnum - Disappointing meal”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We expected a lovely meal but were very disappointed. Mussels were NOT fresh and our entrees were disappointing.

Visited July 2012