“Consistently excellent”

India Gate Restaurant
Ranked #40 of 390 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Some of my well heeled London friends travel the world with homes everywhere between London and Goa. They have taken me to the finest Indian restaurants in London and were somewhat taken aback when I suggested that the India Gate in St. John's was comparable in quality, if not just a fraction of the cost. Well, they visited recently, and agreed that I was right

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I have been to India Gate literally hundreds of times since the first time in 2005. It is delicious. The buffet is to die for and includes many many classic dishes cooked to perfection. Curry chicken, butter chicken, chicken biryani, tandoori chicken, kebab platter, gulab jaman, and kheer are some personal favorites from the menu! Staff are knowledgeable, owners are great and very friendly. Take-out is available and is of course, fantastic.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I have been to India Gate handfuls of times and my experience has been superb each time. The food is very consistent, which is very important in my opinion. My friend and I always get the dinner for two (which could totally feed three perfectly!), which comes with two samosas, rice pillow,a chicken side (we get either butter chicken or the chicken tika), a beef side, and veg korma (so good!!!!). The ingredients are of quality, and so are the cuts of meat. Not once have I found grizzle or fat on any meat dish.
The service from both the owners and staff is always very friendly and inviting. The little things like getting a hot towel after your meal also makes the visit a special one.
The décor is also beautiful too!!
I can't say enough good things about India Gate! I will continue going back there for sure!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

very good food, server helped us order as menu is somewhat hard to understand. Great for take-out. Very busy restaurant.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Food is top notch, even compared to Tandooris globally. Service has always been quite good. I see some complaints here, but I have never had a bad experience and have been here well over 100 times at least in almost 20 years. Prices took a jump, but many other places did too. You often can;t get take out if too busy, but thats a sign of success not a complaint. Overall, I keep going for a reason- it's excellent.